It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 2:48 am

Board index » Tech and Fab » Suspension and Chassis

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How many shocks?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:36 am 

How many shocks do you run in the rear? I was thinking two rancho's on each side will this be to stiff? I spend a lot on time on the road and two tracking and may be a third of the time in sand at silver lake. Why run two? it should make the rid twice as stiff right?

Dave

(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)

Post subject: Re: How many shocks?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:32 am 
BOTM Winner

Yes running to of the same shock in pairs will provide twice the compression and rebound damping and will be way to stiff. You could however buy 2 pairs for a much lighter vehicl and possiably make them work. I used truck shocks on my first Buggy and it sucked. Once I removed one set it rode quite well for what it was.

I currently am running emulsions and coil overs on the rear of my current buggy and revalved them to 30/35 each that gave me a total of 60/70 overall and is working well. Unfortunatly cheap shocks can not be revalved. The reason for two shocks is so they share the load and heat build up is less. The shocks tend to fade after rough use in the offroad enviroment. On a lite Buggy they are not nessasary. S heavy Buggy will benifit from them.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:28 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

I can only image that two rancho shocks would be extremely stiff.

I am very cheap. I run two auto zone shocks on each side of my 4 seater and they work fine. My auto zone shocks cost about $6.99 each with a lifetime warranty. The are made for an old datson pickup.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:36 pm 

I use to run 2 autozone shocks from a 91 ford ranger rear 4x4. I had 28mm saw bars and it rode pretty good. I tried to remove 1 shock and it rode like a pogo stick. It needed 2 per side.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:45 pm 

Odyknuck wrote:
I currently am running emulsions and coil overs on the rear of my current buggy and revalved them to 30/35 each that gave me a total of 60/70 overall and is working well.

If they're Foxes then two 30's aren't the same as a 60 and neither are a pair of 35's equal to a 70.... :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:35 pm 
BOTM Winner

PhillipM wrote:
Odyknuck wrote:
I currently am running emulsions and coil overs on the rear of my current buggy and revalved them to 30/35 each that gave me a total of 60/70 overall and is working well.

If they're Foxes then two 30's aren't the same as a 60 and neither are a pair of 35's equal to a 70.... :lol:

Ok, then you need to clarify. If I have one shock with a 60 rebound or two shocks with 30 rebound ran in parallel then why would it not equal one 60 by itself.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:13 pm 

I'll put up some figures for you later off the dyno so we can go through it, but Foxes numbering system is just that - purely numbers, they don't really relate to the force generated.
I.E - A 40 stack isn't twice as stiff as a 20 stack.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:38 pm 

Right, onto some example figures then, a freshly built 2.0 fox on the red fluid (28.5wt) at about 120* oil temp, will, on a 30 stack on the compression, and a single bleed hole, will give roughly 150lb.force at 20inch/s of shaft velocity, and about 48lb.force at 4 inch/s.
The same shock, setup with a 60 stack on compression - gives about 76lb.force @ 4 inch/s, and about 190lb.force @ 20 inch/s

So as you can see, a pair of 30's won't give the same result as a single 60.

Anyhow, in case you find it useful, I sat down and went through some quick calcs, and if you ever wanted a single shock valved the same in compression as your twin #30 comp. stacks you'd want roughly an #85 stack with twin bleeds open (or 4 bleeds if you originally had two open) :)

I'll work you the rebound out when I have 10 minutes spare over the weekend if you like too.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:58 pm 

Right, had chance for a quick rough guide for the rebound too, a ~35 stack on teh same damper as above, single bleed, will give roughly 90lb.force @ 4 inch/s and approximately 275lb.force @ 20 inch/s

With a 70 stack, that equates to about 170lb @ 4 inch/s and somewhere around 520lb @ 20 inch/s
So the rebound isn't far off a match, but to get a better equivilent you'd want the two small shims shifting up to 0.015's - or a #75 stack.

Hope that's useful!

Board index » Tech and Fab » Suspension and Chassis