It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 3:17 am

Board index » Tech and Fab » Suspension and Chassis

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 10:07 am 

Can anyone who has swaped from stock arms to a 3x3 arm give me a rough idea on how long the install takes?
Also, where did you purchase your 3x3 arms?
Did you buy the "kit" or jus t the arms and use all of your parts of of your buggy?

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 10:32 am 

Mine took a while since I had to replace the torsion housing and fab up mounts for the 3 rib. My Woods Wheel Works "kit" came with the spring plates unwelded so the camber and toe could be set up properly. It was not a boxed kit, I went to Jack and told him what my rail had and I wanted to go to 3x3s and he assembled all the parts I lacked. Swapping arms is the easy part. The tedious work is clearancing and reinforcing the stock end castings, making sure camber, toe and axle angles are all correct. Then fabbing shock mounts and getting those angles correct. A couple of old shocks that have been relieved of oil and pressure makes the job much easier.
Working on it part time time and alone it took about 30 hours and another 10 for the housing. Next time I think it will only take 20 hours. It was definitely worth the time my only regret was not installing the 3x5 arms and coil overs. Get them from someone who not only makes them but has installed them and is willing to give you instructions. The installation instruction I recieved from Jack were priceless.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 12:53 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

you gonna need some 19 1/4 axles for 3x3 also and i would go ahead and put new stub axles for bus joints in along with new bearings but as long as it is a irs suspension already and if you have everything you need, im pretty sure you can do the swap in a day or less its not all that hard especially when you dont have to fool with changing spring plates and torsion bars or welding in the pivot clips when converting over from a swingaxle setup to irs setup, just make sure you got the right allen wrench for the pivot bolt, i think its a 17mm the best i remember

if you need any help just let me know and ill pm you my number or try to help if i can i only live about 10 or 15 min away

Chris

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 3:34 pm 
WB Videographer

u will also have to turn ur torsion up a little,if u dont it will be a lowrider

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 11:40 pm 

Thanks guys! I am going to wait till after meorial day to tackle the arm swap.\\

Ridenrace< where are yall going to ride this weekend?

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 1:02 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

most people here in bama will be in fultondale all weekend

I DO NOT FREE BASE COCAINE

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 1:51 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

some are going to wheelin in the country but i will probably go with tool, hulsey, and michael hyde to fultondale if i can get any of them to go

Chris

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:59 pm 

ridenrace6 wrote:
some are going to wheelin in the country but i will probably go with tool, hulsey, and michael hyde to fultondale if i can get any of them to go

We ended up at summertown, I torna good bit of stuff up. I hope to have a link pin front end, rack, and rear arms on before I ride again.

Board index » Tech and Fab » Suspension and Chassis