It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:48 am

Board index » Tech and Fab » Suspension and Chassis

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rear torsion help!!!
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 10:55 pm 

I got my buggy powdercoated and got it all put back together but it is sitting to low in the rear. I need suggestions on how to get that plate cranked up far enough to beat the torsion all the way in. When I did it the first time I used a large ratchet strap but I set the torsion to soft, so I moved it down a "click" and there is too much pressure on it now to get that plate up far enough to get the torsion all the way in. Any suggestions would be much appreciated...Thanks for your time!

Chris

Post subject: Re: Rear torsion help!!!
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 11:02 pm 
WB Contributor

put your spring plate on a floor jack, wrap a chain around your jack and the frame of your buggy so that the buggy caint lift. then the spring plate has no choice but to lift,thats how most of us do it. if you need more info call me 731-695-2334 be glad to walk you through it

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 11:13 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

bmoore wrote:
put your spring plate on a floor jack, wrap a chain around your jack and the frame of your buggy so that the buggy caint lift. then the spring plate has no choice but to lift,thats how most of us do it. if you need more info call me 731-695-2334 be glad to walk you through it

This is the same way that I always set my spring plates... It works great but you need to be careful... There is a lot of tension on that chain.

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 11:15 pm 

That is a stroke of genius my friend...Thank You very much. Any idea on how many notches down from horizontal I should go?

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 11:19 pm 
WB Contributor

your welcome and we usually go no more than 2 past stock.. what cv's are you running?

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 11:24 pm 

Im not sure actually, this is my first tear down and rebuild, it was street legal when I bought it. I believe it has bus inner cv and beetle outers but honestly I couldnt tell you. What is considered stock (referring to your comment)?

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 11:34 pm 
WB Contributor

stock is (i think) 1 notch past nuetral on torsion bars, someone else on here will be much smarter than i am about that! but i would bet that it was stock location the first time you took it apart (if you know were that was) and bus to sedan joints are very common so you are probably rite... if u cant find stock mark both sides so that you can set them the same. just be sure not to set the rear to stiff hope that helps

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 11:33 pm 

there was a post on here somewhere and people were saying if you have your torsion plate out and adjusting it put it where it is center of the botttom bolt hole closest to the wheel i use to put allot of tension on mine but the ride was way too brutal on the back this is how i set mine havnt had a chance to finish it yet to see how it rides but hopefullly that will help ya a little

Board index » Tech and Fab » Suspension and Chassis