It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:58 am

Board index » Tech and Fab » Suspension and Chassis

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:05 am 

ok, every since i picked up my other buggy it has a really bad wheel hop just on the right side...just on hard accel. it acts just like axle rap on that some trucks would have if you would pull hole-shot on dry pavement..naturally the guy i got it off of said it never did.. i re preloaded the susp., has good wheel bearings.. any ides would be greatly appreciated thanks brad

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:21 am 
Master fabricator

First thing I thought of was a bad shock.

G
A

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:25 am 

MadMike wrote:
First thing I thought of was a bad shock.

yea we thought of that but when i preloaded it they seem good, dont look very old either...it has a vw w/c inline 4 if that helps out with anything...but now that i think of it, if i have a person around 200 or so in the pass seat it doenst seem to do it as bad.. but it will stilll do it with lighter passanger :?:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:38 am 
Master fabricator

OK, maybe not enough shock(s) I would try another shock on it to be sure.

G
A

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:29 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

I run an Inline 4 cyl, stock torsion cranked about halfway with 90ish dodge coilovers I think, and 2x3's. No hop passenger or not, even when it spins. Does tend to lift the front a bit with good traction though. I'll give pics or info on my setup if you need or want it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:43 am 

I run a inline 4 cyl myself. And I have had my suspension set up every which way from super soft to hard. And have never seen any wheel hop. You might want to look into the c.v's and tranny. jmo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:16 am 

first thing i would do is scrap those kyb shocks and get something better that buggy sat a long time and they junk to begin with its hard to tell what that shocks r doin when ur ridin buy u some bilsteins there cheap and work well find them on ebay 5125 medium valving for about 140 a pair

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:11 pm 

buggiejunky wrote:
first thing i would do is scrap those kyb shocks and get something better that buggy sat a long time and they junk to begin with its hard to tell what that shocks r doin when ur ridin buy u some bilsteins there cheap and work well find them on ebay 5125 medium valving for about 140 a pair

well seeing that the motor only lasted 2 days im gunna switch a few things, ecotec and redo the rear susp. with air bags since i love my other buggy with them. i just wnated to make sure it wasnt a weight issue or sumthing i was missing with the heavier engine..

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:15 pm 

Terry fryer wrote:
I run a inline 4 cyl myself. And I have had my suspension set up every which way from super soft to hard. And have never seen any wheel hop. You might want to look into the c.v's and tranny. jmo

i thought i was a cv also..the first push on it it blew a cv and it was so dry it was grinding everything together.. but checkd ohthers and seemed good. o well time for a work over..

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:36 pm 

Do you have any fix a flat type stuff in that tire that could have collected & dried in one spot? Torn cord or broken belt in the tire carcass can get it hopping as well.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:41 pm 

dunebuggynut wrote:
Do you have any fix a flat type stuff in that tire that could have collected & dried in one spot? Torn cord or broken belt in the tire carcass can get it hopping as well.

tires are good but know that you mention it i will have to check the insides.. :idea:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:00 pm 

i may be talking out of my a$$ but it sounds to me like a trailing arm pivot or swing plate bushing issue :?: it may be allowing the trailing arm to jump around when you put it under a hard load. thats just my guess though. good luck

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:10 pm 

Can you borrow a set of wheels & tires to toss on & take a spin? Thats a quick way to eliminate them from the possible causes list. After re-reading your description I still think the tires are the cause of the hop.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:38 pm 

i had a bad tranny in mine when i first got it was a car tranny and it had a real nasty hop in it till i let the clutch out all the way and then it was fine but just decided to throw my other tranny in and be done with it i didnt tear into the tranny cause i know nothing about them but was figuring maybe there were gears worn and the skippin or somethin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:40 pm 
Global moderator

double check your mounts,,solid of course,,,tranny both ends .

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:30 am 

dunebuggynut wrote:
Can you borrow a set of wheels & tires to toss on & take a spin? Thats a quick way to eliminate them from the possible causes list. After re-reading your description I still think the tires are the cause of the hop.

yea when i get room in the shop ill take em off my other rail an try them...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:32 am 

volksdude2007 wrote:
i had a bad tranny in mine when i first got it was a car tranny and it had a real nasty hop in it till i let the clutch out all the way and then it was fine but just decided to throw my other tranny in and be done with it i didnt tear into the tranny cause i know nothing about them but was figuring maybe there were gears worn and the skippin or somethin

not saying its not my 6 rib but it does it all the time not just when im letting out the clutch...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:36 am 

Firebug wrote:

and firebug you bring up a very good point.... i have a solid mount front and rear but i dont have any other mounts and i think it actually maybe the motor and trans flopping all around.. maybe some braces from frame to the horns off the torsion, right at the end of the horn where the motor and trans meet????

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:49 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

I would put mounts closer to the middle or rear. Takes some of the flex off of the bell housing. Not an expert, but it makes sence to me.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:37 am 

it will jump if it does not have any support on the rear torsion horns its a wonder the horns r not bent from that inline watercooled motor hanging out there an aircooled motor will jump bad i cant imagine what that heavier motor is doin with no rear trans mount

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:35 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

My GM 2.3 hase the nose mounted plate, front and rear straps, plate botled to my adapter that is bolted to the rear of the horns and then has two tabs that bolt to the block around 2/3rds back on the engine.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:17 am 
WB Contributor

bradley59dzl wrote:
Firebug wrote:

and firebug you bring up a very good point.... i have a solid mount front and rear but i dont have any other mounts and i think it actually maybe the motor and trans flopping all around.. maybe some braces from frame to the horns off the torsion, right at the end of the horn where the motor and trans meet????

i had a similar issue last year,bolts in my front mount backed out and stripped in side the nose cone and was letting everything flex... it felt like wheel hop but was tranny mounts

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:28 pm 

I know this thread is old but I would guess it is the bowden tube. The tube the Clutch cable runs through MUST have a bend in it or you will get MAJOR wheel hop

Board index » Tech and Fab » Suspension and Chassis