It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:14 am

Board index » Tech and Fab » Suspension and Chassis

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Ground Clearance
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:11 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

MadMike wrote:
So the way that's worded, 2/longer, 3/wider.
Screw it, I'll do the same as Todd's, 2 1/2" X 2 1/2" from now on, what do you think?

lol. That keeps it easy.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:14 am 

Correction...it reads stock x 1in. Is stock width and 1in longer.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:33 am 
WB Contributor

this is appletrees arms and clearly state the width and length of arms. 2x3 and 3x3. I don't understand why everyone has gotten so confused on this. first number is width and second number is length like I thought. who cares who was rite or wrong as long as we know whats correct when ordering parts

http://www.appletreeauto.com/VW-SUSPENS ... ARMS-REAR/

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:38 am 
WB Contributor

I have the 3x3 on my buggy from appletree. but are beefed up with extra bracing. but they came with 19 1/4 axles F.Y.I. .... but have been told by many that you could use an 18 3/4 axle :?: :?: any thoughts on the axle length since we're dissecting this issue? and there all the same price.. 332 bucks so why not get 3x3 unless its a trailer issue

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:12 am 

I don't think anyone cares who is right or wrong, or at least I don't. Like you said, as long as we get right. I will get the 3x3 if I get my money next month. Besides my thread was just asking how much more ride height will I get going from stock to 3x3..lol. I have really enjoyed all the feedback. Got some good info here. Thanks to all.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:16 am 
WB Contributor

diamonddav wrote:
I thought I was rite :lol: :lol: but wasn't gonna dispute it, either way now that we figured that one out, wait, what was the question :?: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

that's what I said :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I think with 3x3 arms, bags, the right shock setup you should gain a few inches. hell I got that jacking up my torsion bars :shock: with bus cvs, so 930s should yield a tad bit more

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:55 am 

If I build a 3by5 arm its 3inches wider and 5 inches longer than stock. As far as ride height you want droop in your suspension

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:57 am 

True. I will be also getting some taller tires.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:56 pm 

As far as ground clearance goes, the taller tires is a must. Just can't make my mind up on what to run. My rig is for trails. 1915 with a 3 rib. Tall and skinny is what I'm thinking. I've heard of some with the same engine and tranny as mine running 38's. Its hard for me to picture that tall of a tire and still have enough power/gearing. But I don't know. Who's running what for trail riding?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:31 pm 

I'm running 33x12.50 goodyear v treads with bags and rancho shocks with type 2 cvs I got 15 inchs clearance under skid plate

Just that guy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:47 pm 
WB Contributor

Image 3x3 arms with #3800 bags 31" goodyears. 930 setup with limit straps and torsion eliminators. 20degrees is what I go with. plenty of clearance

Post subject: Ground Clearance
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:13 pm 

Good idea.....
3x3's
930's
29" tires
22 degrees on CV
My frame is obviously different than a regular frame but I have 16" clearance

"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet."--Abraham Lincoln

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:32 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

bigDsmith wrote:
As far as ground clearance goes, the taller tires is a must. Just can't make my mind up on what to run. My rig is for trails. 1915 with a 3 rib. Tall and skinny is what I'm thinking. I've heard of some with the same engine and tranny as mine running 38's. Its hard for me to picture that tall of a tire and still have enough power/gearing. But I don't know. Who's running what for trail riding?

I would personally stay around 33 inch tires with a 3 rib... Maybe 35's but no way would I consider 38 inch tires.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:02 pm 

That's what I was thinking. If I'm not mistaking it was that red Back in Black buggy that had 38's. Maybe it was NRIBuggy's or his brothers?? I thought that was too big. I have had trucks with 38's and noticed a big difference in power.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:31 pm 

I am running 33x14x15 boggers with air bags and 5x5 Buggybarn rear arms. My 1776 pulls the 33's with the 6 rib just fine. If I were to do it over I would not use the 3800 bags, they take up a lot of room. I had smaller bags on my old buggy with stock length rear arms and they worked great. If you are planning on running air bags; then spend the money on good shocks. I am using Fox remote resi shocks on my buggy and they work very well. Also try to keep the bags as vertical as possible, they work better and last longer.
Good Luck
Kenric

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:43 pm 

My simple mind tells me not to move the transmission back with longer arms. Moving the transmission back defeats the purpose of longer arms. There are several reasons to run longer arms; weight distribution, departure angle, wheel travel and cv angle. Properly prepped German 930 CV joints can handle quite a bit of travel without issues. :D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:25 pm 

Attachment:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416774190.309567.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416774190.309567.jpg [ 98.18 KiB | Viewed 9519 times ]

Big d u remember this buggy at wind rock. 1915 3rib 38's and we drove it as hard as u can run one. Never even broke a bus joint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:24 pm 

Hey NRI your pic didn't show. Is it that buggy I described above?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:59 pm 

Yea look on the reg website

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:07 pm 

Yea that's the buggy. I'm not worried about breaking. I'm worried about my low end for crawling around. I understand I will loose some low end torque......it's all about how much. I'm considering some 34x9.50. I remember the old days 4 wheeling the trucks had tall skinny tires and went great for trail riding in my area.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:25 pm 

kvw wrote:
My simple mind tells me not to move the transmission back with longer arms. Moving the transmission back defeats the purpose of longer arms. There are several reasons to run longer arms; weight distribution, departure angle, wheel travel and cv angle. Properly prepped German 930 CV joints can handle quite a bit of travel without issues. :D

I have Lobro 930 CV joints on mine, running at 24 degree angles when the torsion isn't sagging. Looks like alot of angle, but theyre doing great and have been for a couple years now. They are just the regular cv's, not race prepped. Heard you can get like 27 degrees or more on a race prepped one. Axle still slides in and out with no binding.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:43 pm 

I already have prepped 930 cv's. Just wanting to go longer arms and get a smoother ride. Which would also give me a higher ride hight. So if the axle slides in and out easily you don't have to much of an angle. Is that what you are saying Streetstock?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:53 pm 
Southern Buggys / WB Sponsor

Just put some 934s on it...... Problem solved. Wouldn't mess with the length of the arms unless u r buggy is out of balance. Remember the higher u go the higher your center of gravity.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:25 am 

bigDsmith wrote:
I already have prepped 930 cv's. Just wanting to go longer arms and get a smoother ride. Which would also give me a higher ride hight. So if the axle slides in and out easily you don't have to much of an angle. Is that what you are saying Streetstock?

That is what i've always understood, because when the cv binds, it will put pressure on the axle and you will not be able to slide them in and out the cv joints. I literally loosened my limit straps, jacked it up until the axles binded, then lowered it down until they freed up, and determined that was my max height before binding the cv joints. Lowered it another inch (To allow for any stretch of the limit straps, better safe than sorry), bolted in my straps, and left it be. I've ran it that way for 3 years now, and no cv joint failures so far. When I had a sedan tranny with regular car cv joints, I didn't have limit straps. Everytime the rear tires went airborne I would explode a joint because they overextended. I couldn't tell ya where I heard the sliding the axle trick, but it seems to work, for me at least. Make sure the cv joints are clocked as well. (When one is upside down, the other one is right side up, opposite of each other.) I have heard that if they aren't clocked properly that they will bind quicker.

That is how they're set in my buggy, and it works good. Plenty of clearance and have alittle slack in the limit straps with the buggy on the ground.

My thoughts would be see how high you can go before the axles bind, and then lower it down to where your happy with the height and not concerned that it's too tall. Set it there, recheck to make sure the axles slide freely, and have fun with it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:03 pm 

Outfront motorsports website has a nice tech article on cv's including clocking them. I was running 3x3's and now 5x5's with trans in stock location on empi 930 cv's (no race prep) same set of cv's for 20,000 miles now. I run them 26* at full droop. About 21-22 at ride height. I have about 18-19" at ride height and 23" or so at full droop with the 5x5's. Gotta run skinny rears though to fit through with all the guys with 2 and 3x3's.

Board index » Tech and Fab » Suspension and Chassis