It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:58 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Suspension and Chassis

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:34 pm 

Hey Folks! I just picked up a project from Tim at Southern buggies. I really liked the looks of the buggy It Looks to be a Hi-Jumper. Anyone Have any Ideas why a swingarm torsion with IRS Arms? Is there any advantages or disadvantages to this set up? Im thinking for tire Clearence?? Or it was just built with a Swingarm and someone just wanted an upgrade? Any input would be appreciated!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:36 pm 

The arms On it now are Beeline 2x3 but Im putting my 3x3's on it after some bracing and paint work.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:22 pm 

Are you saying it has no knee busters. If so, It just has short torsion bars. Longer bars = more twist.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:26 pm 

Exactly!! It doesnt have knee busters. Its got a lean on the drivers side and I just figure it may be the torson rod on that side. Chassis doesnt look tweaked or anything. the sag is pretty obvious its softer and sags on the driverside trailing arm.
Its alos has some sort of travel stop on both sides where the torsion runs to the Trailing Arm. Its just some flat stock that is bolted to the uprights on the torsion.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:54 pm 
WB Contributor

When i still used torsion bars, the passenger side was setup different from driver side because theres atkeast a 100 lb difference from me an my gf. If i set it the same it rode rough lol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:32 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Ibanidiot2 wrote:
Are you saying it has no knee busters. If so, It just has short torsion bars. Longer bars = more twist.

Now I get it.. You have short Torsion Bars on an IRS Torsion Housing.

Yes, if you were using stock trailing arms, you were limited to a 31 inch tire. If you wanted anything bigger, you would need to use short torsion bars or swap out your arms.

As for overall performance, you will get a better ride if you use the long torsion bars. You will need to swap your spring plates, torsion bars, caps and bushings...... Or just go to Air Bags or Coil Overs.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:14 pm 
BOTM Winner

I ran the short bars on my old red Buggy and they do make for a stiff ride. I have a set of stock spring plates with the longer torsion bar housing, make me an offer.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:51 pm 

The 2x3's are not for sale they are going on my old green chassis so My buddy can run them.

As Far as the rough ride,
IM sure Ill be ok Ill prob just loose the torsion bars and run some Fox 2.0 12 in air shocks'.

Board index » Tech and Fab » Suspension and Chassis