It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 4:07 am

Board index » Tech and Fab » Suspension and Chassis

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 5:14 am 

HI was wanting to find out some info before i spend my hard earned cash, i am building a baja bug i am converting it too a link pin front end, i was thinking of going with coilovers on the front? 10 inch FOX coilovers with rezzys and a 6 inch over warrior coilover beam on frontend, but was going to leave the rear IRS torsion springs in the car and was going to use just regular nice fox shocks out on rear. i dont want to get into all the fabrication required on the rear to run coilovers, my question is will this combination give me a good ride?? or will it act strange when driving? is anyone running a setup like this on there buggys? cause i may also go with this setup on my sandrail too? if it works well together and rides good? also is anybody on here running the wider warrior or other brand beams, with 4 adjusters on front were the springs are cut in half? if so what is the ride quality?? i have a 8 inch wider warrior beam with 8 inch towers in my hands know, i was wandering if i should just use it?? but was concerned over the ride quality. i know just using torsion springs in front would be cheaper than coilover shocks but i have some cash saved so that is not a major concern! also this bug will mainly be a street driven daily driver and some mild off road any info or suggestions will be well appreciated THANKS

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 8:36 am 
BOTM Winner

If you put coils on it dont run the any torsion in the front. Use a thru-rod or a piece of all-thread to hold the arms in. I can tell you that the front coil-overs are money better spent than the rear. rears are nice. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 9:49 am 

THANKS i will be using 2 1/2 x 1 coilover arms with the thru rods! but was concerned about ride quality! so you are saying i will be happy with front coilovers, and the rear left along with stock irs torsions and some nice fox shocks on the rear of my bug? is this a common setup for these?? not that i will be racing but is anyone racing a setup like this?? what would be a good coilover spring selection on the front of my bug any suggestions?? thinking maybe a 200 over 200 for coilover springs? THANKS

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 9:54 am 
BOTM Winner

What does the front of the Buggy weigh? 200/200 will give you an effective spring rate 100 # per Inch of compression travel before contact with transfer ring and 200# after transfer.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 1:56 pm 
BOTM Winner

I would shoot for around 250 over 350 for the front. That was a great spring rate for for the front of my old woods buggy, it was like riding in a caddy!! Lots of guys I race with run coil-overs in the front and not in the rear. It is a great set-up, especially if you dont want to do a bunch of fabricating in the rear of the car :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 8:59 pm 

HI not sure on weight it is a VW beetle with front fenders and hood removed with a 1 piece prerunner fiberglass hood on it, i dont know yet if i will put the gas tank in front or rear? may go with a fuel cell in the rear?? however now that people are running this style setup! i will be putting coilovers on the front of my buggy also, and leaving rear torsions in it, my buggy is a 98 beeline cobra with disc brakes, lift spindles, steel rims, 14 inch rack and pinion and a fiberglass hood and body. i am guessing no more than 500 pounds for the whole frontend?? i thought about jacking one tire up and slide a bath scale underneath each tire and try to get a weight that way?? the buggy is light in the front it bounces in the front when i hit a small bump and rides kinda rough with the ball joint beam in it know THANKS for the help.

Board index » Tech and Fab » Suspension and Chassis