It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 4:12 am

Board index » Tech and Fab » Suspension and Chassis

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: cv popping
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:14 pm 
WB Contributor

Okay ...heres the deal I put a set of type 4 cv's on my buggy and the passenger side popped (more like clunks ) so loud it sounds like the trans is blown up but only under a load and the slower you go the louder it is you can even feel it in the seat! So i removed the axles and looked at them and swapped sides and now the driver side dose it so it is for sure that axle and cv's but when you look them over they are fine . I have 4 more so I suppose I will just swap them out and see what happens but what would cause one to make that much noise and not break ? They are set at 21 degrees with buggy jacked up with the suspension all the way down . I have ridden it two different weekends and several miles around the house but they have not changed at all .

Post subject: Re: cv popping
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:16 pm 
WB Contributor

When you get little indents in the channels that the balls ride in, they press real hard then shoot out hard in the direction of the cage and that is the sound you hear.Like a 12 gauge constantly shooting against your cage. In the past when I've heard this noise I would drive soft for the next 10 miles and the grooves would blend better and I'd get more miles out of them. To my knowledge aren't type 4 cages thinner than bus cages? While I'm on the subject , has anyone else noticed a cut boot cv lasts longer? Maybe because it lets the heat out. Ever notice when you change a broke joint the pieces are hot? Inthe early 90's a red neck pulled up and I told him about his cut boots and no front wheel bearing caps. He told me he has been running for years like that so I tried it and I've been very happy. They let the heat OUT.Maybe I am confused, yall try it.Plus when people park in or drive thru creeks water seeps into wheel bearings.Unless the bearings are totally SEALED leave the caps off.Yall do the math.An outer race rust pit tranfers its imperfection to a roller bearing , then it tranfers its new imperfection to the innner race.Then vice versa back out to the outer race then vice versa on n on n on yada. Not to mention the rusty weak cage.Marine grease is great , but if it is kept inside with moisture it is HIGHLY corrossive and stinks like decaying animal fat which it is probably what it is derived from. You even have orange dots in the grease which is your lost bearing metal.I don't have the answers , but I'm trying to pass off what I've been thru. Thanks

Last edited by passat2800 on Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:07 pm 

passat2800 wrote:
Inthe early 90's a red neck pulled up and I told him about his cut boots and no front wheel bearing caps. He told me he has been running for years like that so I tried it and I've been very happy. They let the heat and moisture OUT.Maybe I am confused, yall try it.

Im going to assume I read this wrong....

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:13 pm 

well i would always run bearing caps and good boots.... as far as hot weel bearings.. a properly adjusted wheel bearing nuts will solve that... and as far as cv's they run them on such a variety of things these days, such a race cars which take serious abuse for long periods of time.... run properly adjusted parts and good lubricants(greases in this case) and you will notice big dif.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:16 pm 

but as far as the popping i would pull them apart, clean and inspect then

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:49 pm 

i've had cv's cliking since atleast mid last year and they're still together!! haha

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:41 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

aboone993 wrote:
Okay ...heres the deal I put a set of type 4 cv's on my buggy and the passenger side popped (more like clunks ) so loud it sounds like the trans is blown up but only under a load and the slower you go the louder it is you can even feel it in the seat! So i removed the axles and looked at them and swapped sides and now the driver side dose it so it is for sure that axle and cv's but when you look them over they are fine . I have 4 more so I suppose I will just swap them out and see what happens but what would cause one to make that much noise and not break ? They are set at 21 degrees with buggy jacked up with the suspension all the way down . I have ridden it two different weekends and several miles around the house but they have not changed at all .

http://www.outfrontmotorsports.com/cv_assembly.htm try this maybe they are binding a litttle.chad :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:40 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

hot wheel bearigns can also come from having your spacers in wrong, sometimes your stub axle may rub on the housing just slightly causing friction and heat. ask me how i know, that heat then transfers to the cv and breaks the cage.... i agree, the cv is probably binding like gasman stated.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:39 pm 
WB Contributor

I'm sorry guys . I'm just trying to help. NO ONE has traveled more VW miles than I have.I NEVER MISS A BUGGY WEEK END. The wife and I drop off in the woods 2-3 times during the week. It's all I've done since '77.I know all about adjustments and grease and good boots n caps and oh yeahs and ah damits.And somebody wants to get all up in my grill that was born in '82.I'm just trying to tell ya there IS some weird majic in open bearings and I cannot explain it! But I do appreciate the open discussion. Thanks Dave out.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:08 pm 

passat2800 wrote:
I'm sorry guys . I'm just trying to help. NO ONE has traveled more VW miles than I have.I NEVER MISS A BUGGY WEEK END. The wife and I drop off in the woods 2-3 times during the week. It's all I've done since '77.I know all about adjustments and grease and good boots n caps and oh yeahs and ah damits.And somebody wants to get all up in my grill that was born in '82.I'm just trying to tell ya there IS some weird majic in open bearings and I cannot explain it! But I do appreciate the open discussion. Thanks Dave out.

hahah...not trying to get in your "grill"... i was just stating the way i feel...and it doesnt matter if someone has been doin something for a million yrs... still dont mean its good or right......

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:15 pm 

SEE...Im still controlling myself.....ImageImageIT

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:15 pm 
WB Videographer

if i got a busted boot,i dont get right on it and change it,who cares if its tore,its jus gonna do it again

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:27 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

chris38375 wrote:
if i got a busted boot,i dont get right on it and change it,who cares if its tore,its jus gonna do it again

same here, i pack a little more grease into it and keep going... my one boot i cleaned up an d put black duct tape on it and wrapped it all the way from the axle to the top of the cv and it worked great and held up till i had to pull my axles... hillbilly fix but it works.

Board index » Tech and Fab » Suspension and Chassis