It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 3:08 am

Board index » Tech and Fab » Suspension and Chassis

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:43 pm 

What is the benefit of a wider beam? They are more prone to bending & other than adding a bit of sideways stability I cant decide if its worth going wider.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:07 pm 

I am running wider so that it maches the width of the rear...also for the fact that most of the rigs that are here are not buggys but jeeps or 4x4 rigs...one last thought of why...i wanted the car to look inline on the tread width on front and rear and not like the letter :A: so this way the car looks like an :H: where the wheels are inline...idont know if this helps but to be honest the beam wont bend if you brace it and if you dont go slamming into things...so stay in a straight line...DONT USE THE SKINNY PEDDLE,,,just kidding :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:25 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Funny... I could not find a reason either so I picked a narrow beam. I like having the narrow front end in the woods. I prefer to not have my front tires in alignment with my back tires. It helps in ruts and holes to not have the front and rear tires in the same track.

The only issue that I have run into having the narrow beam in my turning radius. With my current wheels, I cannot open up my Rack and Pinion all the way without hitting the frame. This could be fixed with some different wheels.

Oh Yeah.. The other issue I ran into was that no-one makes after market tie rods for a narrow bean using a rack and pinion so you will need to fabricate your own tie rods.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:00 pm 

Stability. I had a 6" wider on my buggy.

If you are just hillclimbing there isn't a advantage.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:58 pm 

Yea, I've noticed the KY cookie cutters keep em as narrow in the front as possible. Im running front wheels with a little offset on the Stalker so it's 5 or 6 inches wider than if I ran stock VW rims. For the single seater I figure between the wider arms & the spindle mount wheels it's 6 inchers or so wider as well. I just wanted to know if there was a REALLY good reason to go wide beam. I get my buggies 8 to 10 feet off the ground every now & again & Im thinking that wide beam is gonna tweak if I land on the corner wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:49 pm 
BOTM Winner

The wide beams are very good to use, it saved my a$$ a few times from flipping sideways on some hills, the bad is that they are almost too wide in some tight spots, it does'nt matter if you go wider beams on singles or 2-seater, they are the same, I bent the front beam once because of my driving error that I should've avoided a tree, but went the wrong way, other than that it's all good for me :mrgreen: Did I mention that my front end with the tires is almost as wide as my rear end is? It is from the longer trailing arms in the front and the 6" wider beam so that gives me around 8-10" wider in the front over stock width.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:03 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Wider should be more stable in any off camber situation. But where we run it is way to tight to run them easily. At the 4 other parks I have been to in the last year it didnt seem like it would be a big issue. But at those parksI only seem to bump my treebars maybe once in a weekend. At haspin we seem to use them to steer, haha.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:42 pm 

I was driving my friends buggy the other day and it is stock front and 3x3 in rear and i noticed you get more stuff thrown all over you. My car has a six over beam with 2 1/2x1 1/2 front arms and the rear is a four inch over with 3x3 disc brakes and a crazy offset needless to say my car is pretty wide, seven feet from outside to outside of tire to be exact. Check it out its the BOTM this month.

Last edited by slowandold on Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:21 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

[quote="Baddvw"] I bent the front beam once because of my driving error that I should've avoided a tree, but went the wrong way, other than that it's all good for me :mrgreen: quote]

yeah you forgot to mention you completely twisted the shock tower, too. drunk ass lol :mrgreen:

Board index » Tech and Fab » Suspension and Chassis