It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 1:47 am

Board index » Tech and Fab » Suspension and Chassis

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:02 am 
BOTM Winner

As the Title says. I notice that my Jamar hubs are really loose on brand new Stub Axels. The Stub axel nut does keep them from moving around however it does work the nuts loose after awhile. So before i replace them I wanted to know how every one else's are. VW or aftermarket.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:58 am 
BOTM Winner

Mine is tight, I am running stock type rear rotors (discs), I torqued the nuts very tight. I used a 3 foot breaker bar with a 4 foot cheater bar on the end giving me about a 6 foot leverage and I had my dad to hold the brakes and got it tight as I can get it, I would say around 350 or so ft.lbs of torque, and now the nut never comes loose and the rotor is tight, no play whatsoever. When I took it apart to check the bearings last weekend and went ahead to put it back together, I checked for any looseness in the splines, still pretty good, hardly no play at all.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:48 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

i have no play in mine either and i use stock spindle and stock hubs,i put the nut on as far as i can then use the hammer knocker tool and drive them around until its tight as ican get with a 3lb hammer and put the lock pin in it and its never worked loose or have had no issues with slack in the splines(knock on wood,lol).chad :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:07 pm 

Ive had some loose ones & fairly tight ones over the years. I use a breaker bar with a cheater pipe on my nut whacker while hitting it with a sledge hammer. Ive never had one come loose on me no matter how loose the splines were.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:30 am 
BOTM Winner

What size tires are you using and motor Horsepower?

dunebuggynut wrote:
Ive had some loose ones & fairly tight ones over the years. I use a breaker bar with a cheater pipe on my nut whacker while hitting it with a sledge hammer. Ive never had one come loose on me no matter how loose the splines were.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:24 pm 

Ours are a tight tap-in fit, as per the others I use a 6ft, 1" drive torque wrench to get them damned tight - 550lbft normally.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:47 pm 
BOTM Winner

Wow! 550 #s seems excessive. And it does not crush the inner bearing spacers? I use a 24" tube on my breaker bar and it equates to about 300#s.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:46 pm 

Odyknuck wrote:
Wow! 550 #s seems excessive. And it does not crush the inner bearing spacers? I use a 24" tube on my breaker bar and it equates to about 300#s.

i use my floor jack handle witch is what about 4' long and 1' breaker bar. they are chrome moly after market 930 stubs put in a couple of years ago, checked them over the winter still tight.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:04 pm 

Odyknuck wrote:

'S a big nut, takes a lot of load to get the thread to stretch enough to stop it coming loose. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:29 pm 

Odyknuck wrote:
What size tires are you using and motor Horsepower?

I was running 31-15.50 uncut v-treads on heavy steel wheels (75 lbs. per side maybe) & around 110 HP. Ive always run stock VW rewelded for 930 joint stubs & econo discs for the last 15 years. Buggy weights around 1500 lb. or less.

Board index » Tech and Fab » Suspension and Chassis