It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 2:39 am

Board index » Tech and Fab » Suspension and Chassis

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:05 pm 

Been looking at frames for my next buggy build. Was looking at the predator site an want some more info on these frames. I know a good bit of you run these frames so maybe you can help.

Wanted to know what the wheel base is with stock arms, what size tubing is used in the frame, do they only come complete? Info for both the one seater and two seater.

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:31 pm 
BOTM Winner

You can buy these as a basic frame as i did. I ordered mine without the tree bars and race braces the single seaters are 99in. with 2x3 arms. I love mine the best buggy ive ever owned and ive owned alot of buggies.
I gave 700.00 for mine.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:40 pm 
BOTM Winner

You can get their frames in all different sorts you like, you can get them partially done if you want and add the rest yourself or they can build the whole frame to your specs all the way til its ready to powdercoat if you want, but you will need to be there a time or two if you want anything special done to it and they will make sure that it will fit you the way you like it. Mine is one of a kind, there is not a single-seater out there that has coil-overs and I love the ride it produces and I hillclimb with it too, it is smooth and that takes alot of trial and error on the suspension adjustments to make it right where it is, the basic size tubing that they use is 1.5" Give Jeff a call at the number that you see on the sponsor board and let him know what you like and he can work with you every step of the way. I love my buggy and Pipedope likes his very well too and his buggy is awesome, once you get one built your way, you will never have to go back. Like Pipedope said, it depends on the trailing arms you use in the front and back on how long you want them to be, IMO, you do not want to go more than 100" on the single seaters, my wheelbase is about 98" long. Good luck 8)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:57 pm 

Thanks lots of good info. They should put more of this stuff on there web site. Not much info on there. For my next buggy I want to build it from the frame up. I want to start with a knockdown just as a start point then modify from there. Alot of guys have the berrien warrior around here. lots of room in the cock pit and works great but Im looking for something different then what everyone else around here is running. If I went with the predator I would go with the 2 seater. Going to be using the race trim suspension seats. which might get cramped in this cock pit.

These single seats seam to be doing very well in the hill climbing events.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:00 pm 
BOTM Winner

ImmortalSoul219 wrote:
Thanks lots of good info. They should put more of this stuff on there web site. Not much info on there. For my next buggy I want to build it from the frame up. I want to start with a knockdown just as a start point then modify from there. Alot of guys have the berrien warrior around here. lots of room in the cock pit and works great but Im looking for something different then what everyone else around here is running. If I went with the predator I would go with the 2 seater. Going to be using the race trim suspension seats. which might get cramped in this cock pit.

I dunno if they do knockdown kits, but I'd rather let them build the basic frame you like and add the rest yourself if you like, you will need to call Jeff about the knockdown part, but I doubt it because, they build the frame as they go, they do not mass produce them like Beeline and Berrian buggy does. As for your seats, they make a frame called the Grizzly and they are pretty wide and it is almost 5 feet wide at one point in the cockpit!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:12 pm 

Yeah I saw the grizzly but missed that dimension. So its 54" where the seats mount. I like that number.

Badvw I bet though after you got those coilovers setup it rides like a dream? Love how the rear is inside the frame. Helps protect those expensive coilovers and leaves a clean look.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:15 pm 
BOTM Winner

ImmortalSoul219 wrote:
Yeah I saw the grizzly but missed that dimension. So its 54" where the seats mount. I like that number.

Badvw I bet though after you got those coilovers setup it rides like a dream? Love how the rear is inside the frame. Helps protect those expensive coilovers and leaves a clean look.

Thanks, it was not easy getting them dialed in, but once I did got them dialed in, man I could drive it and not spill beer in my hand while driving over a washboard road :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:27 pm 

Baddvw wrote:
ImmortalSoul219 wrote:

Thanks, it was not easy getting them dialed in, but once I did got them dialed in, man I could drive it and not spill beer in my hand while driving over a washboard road :lol: :lol:

Yeah thats what Im looking for. Ive spilled 1 too many on myself. But Ive looked around and those coilovers are a pretty penny. lol but for the ride quality you cant beat.

I really want to get to one of these hill climb events to look at these frames in person.

Are these frames just stock seamed tubing? Not dom right?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:52 pm 
BOTM Winner

They are seamed tubing, you can get them made from DOM if you want to, it just cost more $$$, my next one will be made from DOM maybe. I rolled my buggy in Rush, KY last year and it took a pretty hard hit right on its top and I mean it went airborne upside down a few feet off the ground ground for 20 feet and wham!! and all it did to it is bent the roof in about 1" on my right and 1/2" on my left, I straighten it all out with a porta-power set. Here is some pictures of how it held up and it took the full weight of the buggy on a rock onto where the most damage is.........

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:17 pm 

ImmortalSoul219 wrote:
So its 54" where the seats mount. I like that number.

Mine is a 4 seater and with sitting so forward you would have to sit a bit side ways to take advantage of all the width. Bt the time you sit that far apart your pedal still have to be in the same spot because of where the frame narrows to accept the front beam. I'm sure its not as drastic in the 2 seaters where the driver does not sit so far forward. Take a look at my 4 seater build for some biuld pics and you can see how the seating works out. (predator 4 seater). They have a much better value than some of the mass producers but a few flaws too. I have'nt had it in the woods yet but I'm close and can't wait. I would buy their frame again.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:53 pm 

damn badvw it looks like those 1 inch tube supports saved you from more damage. You were able to get that straight again?

A. Cole - I dont know how I missed that hole build thread. Looks sweet. Want some in action vids when you complete that thing.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:14 pm 
BOTM Winner

I got them looking a hell of a lot better than it was, it is now around 80% better than it was though, if you really look, you can see some of it there, other than that, you cannot see it unless you look.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:23 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

ImmortalSoul219 wrote:

:shock:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:34 pm 

kybuggy1 wrote:
ImmortalSoul219 wrote:

:shock:

Just wait till my under-powered 4 seater hits the scene. LOL :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:08 pm 

Drop a turbo ecotec in that bad boy 4 seater and bam "Rocket ride" 4 seater :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:09 pm 
WB Contributor

Put a front wheel drive motor and trans in the back seat of that 4 seater turned long ways witha bus axle shaft going back to a 8.8" ford or lincoln irs diff.The 327:1 diff will more than triple all of your 4 or 5 gears.

Board index » Tech and Fab » Suspension and Chassis