It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:16 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Parts Fabrication

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Welder?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:27 am 

I don't know either, J.B. Weld has held my motor mounts and coilovers in place for years, I think $110 or $220 is way over priced for a tube of J.B. Weld

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:08 pm 

Just to clear things up, my last post was a joke, never use J-B weld to hold in your seatbelts. You can bet your ASS mine are welded in with a mig welder and bolted with grade 8 bolts, and my seatbelts are new and up to date. Something alot of people need to check.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:21 pm 

That is true, there is a expiration date so to speek on all harnesses, it is located on the tag sewed to the lap belt in most cases. My last post was also a joke, don't attach anything important with J.B. Weld, especialy yourself!!! :D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:09 pm 
Master fabricator

Thanks for clearing that up guys. J-B Weld has it's place, I used some this week to fix a friends radiator.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:31 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

JB Weld is only acceptable if you are holding your Mother-In-Laws seat belt in the buggy... Although, my Mother-In-Law will never get in my buggy again. She got in it one time and I purposely scared the crap out of her :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:50 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Let me clear this up... This not a joking matter... If you ever have the chance to drive my Mother-In-Law, I really would prefer for you to use JB Weld on her seat belt and scare the crap out of her.... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:22 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Wade,Kyle I shure am glad ya'll cleared that whole J.B. Weld thing up
now I know better :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:42 pm 

No problem biggin, safety first! :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:45 pm 

Well Rock, We know what you will have to fix before you go riding next time. But back to the welder I just got a new welder, Miller 185 only paid 600 bucks, looks brand new and got a new roll of wire and new mig gun.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:57 pm 

I am bulding a V8 Astrovan which is the tow vehicle for my buggy, 2 large jetskiis and Malibu ski boat.

I am in the process of doing alot of custom bodywork, and have a Lincoln 135 with gas running on 110volts, which works great for me on thin steel upto 1/4 inch. I have modified it by making 2 guage cables with soldered ends, rather than the lower quality cables that it came with, and it welds MUCH Better now with Much deeper penetration.

For Building heavy duty buggy frames I would definately recommend getting a 220 volt mig welder with gas.

I built a cart topped off with a welding table, to move around my projects.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:00 pm 
BOTM Winner

there are "consumer grade" and "professional" grade welders in the name brand lines. The difference is in the quality of the components used in the construction. You dont buy a profeesional grade welder at the big box stores they only have the cheapos. The best bet is buying online or at the local welding supplier. Do your home work and get good stuff. The only time you will have trouble is in the middle of a project and then the pennies you saved dont seem all that important

http://www.millerwelds.com/

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/

miller is the industy leader in heavy industry

Lincoln does a very good job with the smaller "hobby" type machines 1 phase 220 volt types

IMHO

anything from china is a crap shoot, will it work ,can i get service, or replacement consumables, will it fail b4 i get done? if you have money to gamble with these machines they have some very interesting features found in only the high end domestics.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:36 pm 

I got a pretty much new Craftsman 220 id sell for half of what i paid for it.. Its gas and has a cart. Id have to check but probably around 4 or $500..

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:34 am 

I bought a Miller 251 to build my buggy years ago. It was a 220vac machine and fully adjustable. Great welder! After the build I traded it in and got a Miller XMT304CC/CV. It will weld anything. It can Arc, Tig, and Mig depending on what stinger or gun you buy. It also has something called AutoLink that lets it run on anything from 110 house power to 480 3 phase factory power, you just don't get full power with 110 but you can still weld thin stuff. Many of the higher end Millers have the AutoLink, and Lincoln has the same option with a different name. Don't be afraid to buy a used Miller or Lincoln from a reputable dealer. You can often get a used high end welder for the same price as a new low end unit. As long as they were kept halfway clean they will last forever. Whatever you get, listen to CatRunner on the universal rule. Throw away the factory supplied ground clamp and cable. Get 2/0 welding cable with soldered connectors and a good clamp. You can't believe the difference until you weld back to back welds with the two different grounds.

Board index » Tech and Fab » Parts Fabrication