It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:09 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Brakes and Steering

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:40 am 

Currently, what is the easiest /most cost effective way to put disc brakes on a stock king pin front end? Right now, I have drum brakes up front and discs in the rear, on a light weight, 1600DP, two seat rail. I don't need anything really heavy duty, just want something more reliable for the trails.

JSWIFT

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:01 am 

rotors will cost you about $60 a piece and you can use Nissan Sentra calipers(87 to 90 model),then make your own calipers brakets,or just buy a kit.I think they run around $250 or more,but they have everything you need to obtain disc in the front.You can find sentra calipers at most junkyards or you can buy them fully loaded at a parts house for around $120.Call Tim at southern buggys 606-864-2217,he can set you up.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:44 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Disc in the front are great but you will need to have someway to proportion the braking. Most people prefer to have a separate handle for the front brakes. I used a proportional valve and only use 50% of my front brakes.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:20 pm 

Go to the brake forum and look were I posted Cheap Calipers. There is a ph# out of Atlanta were I got nissan calipers for $10.41 each then I bought the brake pads at Auto Zone so they would have a lifetime warrenty. This is what I used on the back of my buggy. I allso want to do disks up front but I am running wide five on my king pin front so no cheap rotors.
MoblMec

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:47 pm 

I'm running the wide 5 on my kingpin front end also. Guess that changes everything concerning the sentra discs?

JSWIFT

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:29 pm 

You use the nissan calipers not the rotors.
You can get wide five rotors but they are not cheap.
This is why the disk kits cost $500
MoblMec

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:51 pm 

i just did this i have pics in buggy builds under my baja build i run the wide five with s10 calp with stock rims rotors was about 65 ea s10 calps from a junk yard was 20 for every thing

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:23 pm 

How about just cutting the spindles off,weld a plate off steel to what is left and make raised(front end higher) spindles using ball joint spindles. Now you will have more ground clearance and the cheaper ball joint rotors will bolt right on. I think most vendors on this website sell the ball joint spindle that you can just weld on the steel plate.

Huey

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:38 pm 

You have alot of options....depending on your fabrication skills.
As Huey said, you can fab up a hybrid balljoint / kingpin spindle (good way to get some lift, and Balljoint spindles are stronger than king pin) and run stock VW Ghia discs and calipers with a 4 lug / 5 lug adapter to keep your current wheels. I may have some of these balljoint / kingpin spindles and VW calipers laying around if your interested.
Or, you can machine the drum off of your wide 5 brake drums, and weld ( have to pre-heat and use NI-rod or TIG w/ nickel rod) rotors to the back side and then run calipers of your choice (Nissan Sentra or Chevy Chevette work good for a single face rotor).
You can also go for a whole different spindle / rotor combination if you want. I just did a kingpin setup with Bronco II spindles and rotors. The Bronco spindles are stronger, have way bigger wheel bearings, and the rotors have the bearing races made right in them....nice compact setup, just a little heavy.
If your looking to save some weight you can machine your drums off and fab up some motorcycle brakes and calipers.
Lots of ways to go on this project.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:46 pm 

Thanks for the options. Now I need to decide which way to go. On the S10 option, are you using the S10 rotors?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:04 pm 

no im useing vw wide 5 king pin rotors from buggy works or drews and s10 calipers

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:13 pm 

Thanks rail1914. I thought you might have welded s10 rotors to a set of cut drums. I don't have a tig rig, but I may go that route if I can get someone local to weld on some rotors for me.

Board index » Tech and Fab » Brakes and Steering