It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:27 am

Board index » Blogs » The Thoughts of Odyknuck

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:52 am 
BOTM Winner

As a lot of you know I was able to complete the Subie Motor Swap in time for our anual Memorial Day run at Wellsville. The week before I had a lot of little things that needed addressing however not all of them were completed before arriving that weekend. Primarly tunning of the Turbo, BOV, Wastegate and Greddy Piggy back Engine control computer. I was dialing in the Processor on Friday however on Saterday morning I lost communication with it from my Laptop. "Houston we have a problem" :roll: . Well the Buggy was running ok with what little tune I was able to do before the com loss. I was having idle Ossllation problems, some popping out the exhaust and MAP sensor compatibility errors. As it turns out one of the Harness connectors on the Greddy Piggyback had pulled off the foil of the the PC board and I had to buy another unit. It took care of the Com issue and the idle Osillation and now I will have to retune. Over all it ran quite well and had plenty of power to do the job. I kept my Boost down to around 7 # because of the factory 10.5:1 compression ratio. The low end torque on the Subie motor is a lot better than the VW 2232 I was running last year. The Turbo does not spool as quickly on the Subie as it did on the VW however I like that better. It was more of a gradual Boost unlike the VW that ran like a 2 stroke. When the VW spooled up it broke tire traction Instantly causing a loss in momentum. Now that may change as I get the motor dialed in however it remains to be seen. Overall I am pleased with what I have done. My original goal was to have a water cooled dependable motor that I should not have to do a lot of maintenace on and I feel I have achieved that. Time will tell. I do have to upgrade my rear supension to accomadate the additional weight. I was having issues with the Torsions sagging on me however that was also happining with the VW motor. I am glad I added the additional transmission skid plate. On the Saterday night ride I rolled over a hugh rock that litterly lifted me off the ground so I could not go any were. It would have been a perfect place to change the tires lol. The rock smashed the skid plate and broke one of the lower bolt bosses on the trans. Its not leaking so for now I will run it. Based on the condition of the skid plate if it was not there I would have had to be towed out that night Instead of just jacking up the frame to remove the rock (Thank's for the help Roy). I also lost the oil sending unit on my way up Shaggy. The nipple broke off and pumped a lot of oil all over the exhaust to the point it caught on fire. Shaggy took out one of my rear tires when I hit the rock ledge so I knew I had a flat however it was no time to stop now. I was nearing the top and there is a guy yelling "Your on fire, Your on fire" What I was hearing was "You have a Flat tire, You have a flat tire" Well Im thinking "I know I have a flat Tire" Sure enought when I got to the top Flames were a happening lol. AH! the Joys of offroading! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:25 pm 
BOTM Winner

**********"The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."
- Antonio Meloni

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:43 pm 
BOTM Winner

Now thats just bad JU! JU! BUDDY! :roll: :shock:

plumberbill wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:09 pm 
WB Contributor

hell yes it is! how did you get the fire out? did you have to pop an fire bottle off?

"Lets go get stupid"

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:12 pm 
BOTM Winner

Kyle wrote:
hell yes it is! how did you get the fire out? did you have to pop an fire bottle off?

took every beer in my cooler to put it out!!!!!!

**********"The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."
- Antonio Meloni

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:48 am 
BOTM Winner

By the time I got to the top of the hill most of the oil had burned off of the exhaust and I was able to blow it out.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:38 am 

Sorry to see that. I'm glad you got out ok.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:12 pm 
BOTM Winner

Your thinking the car on fire is mine. Its not, thats something Plumberbill posted to mess with me. Mine was ony a little oil fire on the exhaust.

perrib wrote:
Sorry to see that. I'm glad you got out ok.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:35 pm 

have any final swap pics? Interested to see it all together now!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:51 am 
BOTM Winner

I do not have any right at the moment. I will try and get some this week and post them up on the Swap Blog.

ImmortalSoul219 wrote:
have any final swap pics? Interested to see it all together now!

Board index » Blogs » The Thoughts of Odyknuck