It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:24 am

Board index » Blogs » The Thoughts of Odyknuck

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Day Trip
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 4:31 pm 
BOTM Winner

Its Saterday morning about 7 am and I am sitting at the Kitchen table. I look out the window and the Suns up and a warm breeze is flowing thru the window. I smell the coffee brewing and I am thinking about the day ahead. I am going wheelin, what a good life. I'm thinking do I have everything I need in case I break down. It's inevitable ya know. I ride hard and something is bound to break. Na its gonna be ok! I am still gonna take more crap than I need anyways, its my nature. Well beakfast is done and out to the shop to walk around and make sure I have everything. The Buggys (The Duck) loaded on the trailer and ready to go. I take that last walk around and tug on straps etc. Don't wanna lose her on the way down. Ah! I spot a few things I have been meaning to fix, Oh well maybe next time lol. I climb into the truck and off I go and headed south. I enjoy these morning drives by myself. They clear my head of the crap of the preceding week. I stop for gas and any additional things I need to eat during the day and off I go again. I pull into camp and the boys are just getting up. I am sure they were up all night having a good ole time so I will not be seeing them for another few hours. I am thinking what the hell I will go out for a solo. I am also thinking I just had my appendix cut out less than 2 weeks ago and I am here against my doctors advise. Hmmm! Maybe I should wait until the boys are ready to go with me in case something happens. Na! I will be OK, famous last words! So I roll the Duck off the trailer and off I go. I was not on the trail 10 minutes and the next thing I know I am on my roof hanging from my harness and in a lot of pain. The weight of my body pulling on the straps against the insisions. That's gonna leave a mark. I managed to get my self free and fell to the floor (roof in this case). I am not feeling well about now and just sat on the embankment I just rolled off of. Good thing it was in slow motion lol. I am sitting there watching the gas pour out of the tank feeling pretty helpless about now. I get out my tool box (the cell phone) and call the guys at camp to explain my predicament. Just about that time 2 guys on Quads pull up and ask if I needed help! I certainly was not gonna turn them down. So they helped me get the Ducks rubber back down. I had a decision to make now. Go back to camp or keep going. Well by now you have probably figured out that wheelen is an obsession of mine and rightfully so. So onward I went. I did not stay out to long, I was in pain and not feeling well at all. So back to camp I went. Well I rode some the rest of the day and went home early that evening. As I am driving home I am thinking to my self what could I have done different to avoid the roll over and all I could come up with was "Listen to the DAMM Doctor Stupid"!

Post subject: Re: The Day Trip
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 5:10 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Ya but think how boring life would be if we listened to your doc or my wife and never did anything that there was a chance of a less then positive outcome. And how often I would needd to replace my couch. :twisted: Glad ur ok. You r ok arnt u, lol?

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:24 pm 
BOTM Winner

Yea I am fine. Thanks for asking. It was a few years ago. After re-reading it I guess it would give you the Impression it was recent lol. I was reminissing today about some of my trips to Wellsville and that one came to mind. Thought I would tell the story. .

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 12:59 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Good story, hope none of us relive it this weekend.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 10:39 am 
WB Contributor

LOL nice story Ody but I too was like WTF I hope your ok and still going to be able to make it this weekend haha. Good story. Lesson learned....never ride solo. Everytime someone in our group gets hurts its when they disappear and go solo riding. When you don't mean to turn over is just about the time its going to turn over.

"Lets go get stupid"

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 12:16 am 

I would consider it a testament to your doctors stiching ability. Your being to hard on yourself. We have to make mistakes before we can learn from them. You are now able from first hand experience to teach the rest of use not to ride with deep stiches with out a throttle limiter. Seriously I have done some real questionable things that seemed ok at the time. Many years later I still feel some of those lessons everyday. I'm glad you were ok.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:17 am 

i guess you have to live and learn - ive done my share of stupid things (you know the ones that make you say -- what was i thinking). They have a saying that goes -- If i knew i was gonna live this long, i'd have taken better care of myself !!

larry

I love my country, But i fear my government

Board index » Blogs » The Thoughts of Odyknuck