It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:34 am

Board index » General » Members Rides

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:42 pm 
WB Videographer and BOTM winner

I just payed 3.65 a frickin gallon for diesel. :evil: :evil: :x I have two diesels, one is a 2002 Ford F-250 7.3 and the other one is a 2000 Volkswagon Bettle 1.9 turbo diesel. Is it worth the extra money we pay at the pump for them? Diesel was always cheaper than gas at the pumps until about the time I bought my truck (or so it seemed). Just wondering if they are worth the intial extra cost and now the extra price we pay at the pump.

So opinions, which do you prefer, Diesel engines or gas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:06 pm 

I have been considering biodiesel so I can make it myself. It seems to be a royal pain to make it but with a truck, another truck on the way, bobcat, backhoe and hydroseeder all being diesel my budget is getting blasted! I figure I can make it all winter and run it in the summer. I won't run bio in the winter with our climate but I could 8-9 months a year. It would cut my yearly cost by about $11k. Hello Chinese restaurant owner!! Got any oil? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:43 pm 

The whole gas price deal is a lot of crap all together! It takes the same amount of energy to produce deisel as it does 110 octane gas! As for the bio-deisel --I have a friend in Nt Wilksboro that run a 50micron filter on his ford truck that runs on pure untampered leftover cooking oil that he gets from a friends resturant! He supplied them with container, funnel and strainer to put the used oil in. He knows the owner well and he agreed to do that for him. He says he gets same amount of mileage and power from oil---the down side is that it is harder to start when cold. [ a tank heater would be advised.] Or use one tank w/ cooking oil and the other w/ deisel.[what he does] You could save alot by mixing 50/50.

That's what I'm talking about!

High speed
Low drag
Teflon coated
And ready for action!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:46 pm 

It seems like I heard it somewhere that diesel is a byproduct of refining oil into gas? Don't know where I came up with that but that is stuck in my head. Anybody know anything about it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:53 pm 

Refining crude oil is sort of like disstilling whiskey! When you boil crude oil and it gets to a certain temp a perticular gas is given off. At a lower temp you get deisel then temp goes up some you get kerosene and so on. Watch discovery channel next time they have a show on refineries.

High speed
Low drag
Teflon coated
And ready for action!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:55 pm 

Just think heating oil is made the same way as diesel[made in the same plant]. so when diesel goes up heating oil goes up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:47 am 
They suck!! My total fuel bill last year was $31,500.00 and that sucked bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:20 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

talk to kylemartin on here, his dad (my uncle) runs around in a little '83 Mercedes on Veggie oil. He also heats their house on used oil. Kyle knows his share about the subject and biodiesel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:03 am 
BOTM Winner

All three of my vehicles are Diesel. I have my work truck which is a 6.4L F-350, I have my car which is an 80 model Mercedes Benz 300SD, and the ol' ladys car which is an '06 VW Golf TDI. Yes, diesel fuel is high in price but it's worth it to me to own them.

Post subject: Diesel VS Gas
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:46 pm 

I have thought about this several times, and cannot see where the diesel pays off unless you have to have one to pull stuff everyday. Intital cost of a new Diesel Truck vs New Gas truck, Diesel is gonna cost 10k more. Ok then you got oil changes, I can change my oil for around 18 bucks, vs diesel 50 bucks. Gas mileage, most diesel trucks I have looked at do not get any better mileage vs a gas truck, so why would I want to get the same mileage and pay 50 cents more a gallon for it. So.....my opinion is unless you have to have a diesel fo pulling, I would stay with gas.

Donnie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:18 pm 
Site Admin

Today, you have hit the nail on the head, Buggyman. But when I bought my Duramax, the price of diesel was a hair cheaper than gas. Now I'm paying $3.85 a gal. for diesel. Also with all the stuff i have done with my truck, I can smoke mustangs, camaros and most high performance cars. There is nothing like the look of someone face that just got beat by a big ass crewcab diesel!

Post subject: Diesel vs Gas
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:45 pm 

I started looking at Diesels about a year ago, but now with diesel staying that much higher than gas, I just cant do it. $3.85 a gallon for diesel, thats just insane!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:56 pm 

Rumors has it at 4.00 a gallon by memorial day. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:21 pm 

high prices or not Iam still coming to wellsville memorial day weekend :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:50 pm 
WB Contributor

I wish that someone could explain why we are paying more than $2 a gallon. With the companies recording record profits are we getting gouged at the pump or what. Capitalism is great but it can be abused also.

The Wild Kids

Post subject: Re: Diesel VS Gas
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:13 am 
BOTM Winner

[quote='BUGGYMAN']I have thought about this several times, and cannot see where the diesel pays off unless you have to have one to pull stuff everyday. Intital cost of a new Diesel Truck vs New Gas truck, Diesel is gonna cost 10k more. Ok then you got oil changes, I can change my oil for around 18 bucks, vs diesel 50 bucks. Gas mileage, most diesel trucks I have looked at do not get any better mileage vs a gas truck, so why would I want to get the same mileage and pay 50 cents more a gallon f

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:16 am 
BOTM Winner

[quote='Bad Influence']Rumors has it at 4.00 a gallon by memorial day. :([/quote]

Probably more than that, maybe $4.50/gallon, oil is already over $100/barrel and the pressure of the elections, what do you guys think that Bush is going to try to do? He is going to try to make as much money as he can off of the oil industry before he leaves the White House :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:20 am 
BOTM Winner

[quote='Bad Influence']It seems like I heard it somewhere that diesel is a byproduct of refining oil into gas? Don't know where I came up with that but that is stuck in my head. Anybody know anything about it?[/quote]

Yes, diesel fuel is a byproduct from the production of gasoline, so is kerosene, jet fuel, and heating oil.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:23 am 
BOTM Winner

[quote='DVS1']Today, you have hit the nail on the head, Buggyman. But when I bought my Duramax, the price of diesel was a hair cheaper than gas. Now I'm paying $3.85 a gal. for diesel. Also with all the stuff i have done with my truck, I can smoke mustangs, camaros and most high performance cars. There is nothing like the look of someone face that just got beat by a big ass crewcab diesel![/quote]

I like what you're thinking! Diesels rules! You can get monster power out of one for

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:38 am 

Yesterday the Dow closed with a barrel of crude going at a record high at $104.00 !!!! Damn government!!!

High speed
Low drag
Teflon coated
And ready for action!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:06 am 
BOTM Winner

[quote='buggy66']Yesterday the Dow closed with a barrel of crude going at a record high at $104.00 !!!! Damn government!!![/quote]

I agree.....it sucks too, but watch it hit around $120 or so this summer :evil: :x I am not trying to be negative, but I am a victim of high diesel fuel prices too. :(

Post subject: Diesel
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:38 pm 

I change my oil every 3000 miles, not 25,000 miles. I do not run synthetic, so i was talking about if you changed your oil every 3000 miles. When I tow with my gas, I average around 12 mpg or better depending on what i am pulling. And when the expensive diesel breaks down, example injection pump, let me know how much that baby costs. I have added up the pros and cons and cannot see with the price of diesel and the price of a diesel truck vs a gas these days will every pay off in the long run unless you use it everday for pulling.

Donnie

Post subject: Re: Diesel
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:54 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

The diesel is worth it to me and I only use mine to pull maybe once or twice a month if I'm lucky enough to ride that often. (Sometimes it sits still for weeks thru the cold months). Its nice to know I can pull whatever I want, as fast as I want, whenever I want and dont have to worry about workin the guts out of my truck. And I'ts paid its own payment at least ten times by people hiring me to pick up cars and etc for them. Diesel trucks may be more expensive to own and operate, but so is a kickass buggy compared to a four wheeler , its about what you enjoy the most to me.

Larry

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:38 pm 
BOTM Winner

[quote='BUGGYMAN']I change my oil every 3000 miles, not 25,000 miles. I do not run synthetic, so i was talking about if you changed your oil every 3000 miles. When I tow with my gas, I average around 12 mpg or better depending on what i am pulling. And when the expensive diesel breaks down, example injection pump, let me know how much that baby costs. I have added up the pros and cons and cannot see with the price of diesel and the price of a diesel truck vs a gas these days will every pay o

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:39 pm 
BOTM Winner

[quote='kybuggy1']The diesel is worth it to me and I only use mine to pull maybe once or twice a month if I'm lucky enough to ride that often. (Sometimes it sits still for weeks thru the cold months). Its nice to know I can pull whatever I want, as fast as I want, whenever I want and dont have to worry about workin the guts out of my truck. And I'ts paid its own payment at least ten times by people hiring me to pick up cars and etc for them. Diesel trucks may be more expensive to own and operat

Board index » General » Members Rides