It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:58 am

Board index » General » Places to ride

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: OFFROAD PARK question
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:12 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

i have seen alot of these new parks listings and they range from 200 to 500 acres and some are less some a little more.heres my question.is a 500 acre park really big enough to have people travel long distances to ride at? here where i live we ride thousands of acres free and i know one day it will most likely be taken away just like everything else but i would think a place this size would be pretty easy to ride it all in a day.is it that in these places its the only place to go ride and mainly for the local guys or do you all also have other places larger to ride thats not a pay park.reason im asking is i have thought about seeing what it would cost to lease a piece of land to open a place here if they crack down and shut us down from riding where we do now.my family has an 800 acre farm and to me thats just not big enough but i was wanting a little input from some of you who would travel to these places and would you think youd travel to wv for riding on an 800 acres of woods.the place ive looked at is an old mine job and i talked with the land dept to see if its possible to lease and its right at 3500 acres but who knows if its available lot of hoops to jump through i think,but the 800 acres would only be a last optoin.so what do you guys think.chad :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:19 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Depends on the terain and how much of it you drive on. Haspin is 800 acres, but as much as we twist and turn we never hit all of it in a Friday Night to saturday night ride, not even close. But if it was just main trails it would be way to small. Of the six pay to ride parks I havebeen to it is the only place I have riden that isnt main trails with a few places to dart off.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:56 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

like nitro said it all depends on the terrain and the layout of the trails, the best place ive been to is lbl and if im not mistaken they do have about 1,500 acres but unless you just get in a buggy and ride constant with no hill playing and beer drinking its hard to ride the whole thing in a 3 day weekend especially if hit all the little cut through and across trails, its just like a maze nearly with one trail after another criss crossing from one side of the park to the other with hill and hollar after hill and hollar, but there is 1 or 2 main trails that loop around the perimiter and interior of the park and it takes a while just to ride them

and then there are places like summertown that has 750 acres if im not mistaken and with all the open fields and rolling type countryside i could show you the whole park probably in less than an hour or 2 at the most so we mostly just go there on certain holidays for the "partys" that they have and to watch a few idiots/drunks in there 4x4's demolish/turn over there ride

Chris

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:52 am 
WB Competitor

lbl is 2500 acres from mild to extreme. awsome place.i wish everybody would come here and ride.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:49 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

sure thought there was alot more people riding than 3,guess an offroad park here would be a waste of time.chad :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:05 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Nitro and 6 pretty much covered it. 800 acres is plenty if its got a lot in it.
I cant speak for anyone else, but I cant see myself driving that far past my favorite place on a regular basis. It would have to be unbelievably killer to do it more than once, and I havent been anywhere thats better than D&K (IMO) yet. Need to get more feedback from the boys out your way, I reckon.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:10 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

yea your right larry its hard for me to get these guys to ride let alone get on here and post,i was just trying to get my ducks in a row before the bottom falls out on our local riding spots.i like all the places i have been since ive been traveling and riding but i'm sure im like others its hard to beat riding at home or close by.i hope to get you guys up here at least once and let you ride my backyard but theres no orv parks here that allows buggys its just old mine propertys and land company property and the parks that are here are dead set agianst anything other than 4wheelers and dirt bikes. so woodsbuggy wont have an event and that seems to be the only way to get you all here is have an event through the site.i was just trying to see if it would be something worth doing but i think i will investigate it a little more before i do anything any ways.chad :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:03 pm 
Global moderator

I want to come up there some day. Some of the biggest and best events are at Non-pay2ride places. You are lucky,,most of our local places are off limits now due to hunters and private land owners . I cannot get enough seat time to become a decent driver like you and lots others. Woodsbuggy.com may need to hold it's advertised events at pay2ride places but that don't stop us from enjoying other places. Your neck of the woods is definitely on my 2do list. I will try to come to any event any where I feel welcome,,,if possible, money wise.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:56 pm 

Gasman I feel your pain. The closest place I have to ride now is wilborn and there is talk of that shutting down. I am originally from double springs Al and all I rode for the most part was local known trails all my life until all the gates went up and the riding got smaller and smaller. I think it is great that you have land. You can always go to your own backyard and play. I know if someone had 800 acres to ride close to my hose I would be on it like stink on a fresh pile :!: My fellow riders where I am located have also checked into opening a park but it takes some money and a lot of help. I hope things work out for you. Maybe they will never shut down your riding spot. But be positive you always have your 800 :!:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:17 pm 

Hey gasman,what is the name of the city you live in ? I cant find Boone county WV.D&K is about 3.5 hrs. away for me and that is the area i have rode my whole life,especially when Cromer was alive and kickin(damn i miss that place) plus there were some places between London and Manchester a lot of people on here dont even know about.So if your within that same distance,i'll cruise over and check WV out.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:29 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Buckmaster wrote:
Hey gasman,what is the name of the city you live in ? I cant find Boone county WV.D&K is about 3.5 hrs. away for me and that is the area i have rode my whole life,especially when Cromer was alive and kickin(damn i miss that place) plus there were some places between London and Manchester a lot of people on here dont even know about.So if your within that same distance,i'll cruise over and check WV out.

I think this is it. Thats closer than D&K to me.
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&q=Boone+County+West+Virginia&fb=1&gl=us&ei=quq3S8r5JYuOygSq2ZAv&ved=0CBgQpQY&view=map&geocode=FXSWQwId4tIg-w&split=0&iwloc=A&sa=X

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:11 pm 
BOTM Winner

i dont care if the place is 80 or 8ooo acr.for me its all about the people.but i dont see alot of people drivin 4 or 5 hrs every weekend to ride 500 acr. we have alot of good local spots to ride but when i lived chicago i would drive 3 to 4 hrs every chance i had now iv got a few good places right at the house so i get to ride 2 or 3 times a week...................

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:39 pm 
The closest place I have to ride is 3 hours. I can go ride outlaw at Aetna but there are not many buggys there. It is mostly all 4X4s. Just not many buggys around here.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:06 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

bruce 1 wrote:
The closest place I have to ride is 3 hours. I can go ride outlaw at Aetna but there are not many buggys there. It is mostly all 4X4s. Just not many buggys around here.

Same boat here Bruce. Sure would be nice to have a place close enough for a one day trip, not to mention another woodsbuggy or 2 close enough to ride with :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:16 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

well anytime you guys want to come ride with me your more than welcome,im located just about 8 miles from danville wv.just do a mapquest and use julian wv 25529 and thats where im at.i'd like to do another poker run buggy ride this year so maybe this would be a good time for some to come and play.hope to see yall on the trail.chad :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:19 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Wife said she would like to do the poker run.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:32 pm 

Throw a date out there for a poker run.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:21 am 

If you don't mind the drive (looks like about 330 miles from you) Coal Creek OHV park in Oliver Springs, TN has 72,000 acres with 160 miles of trails. I've been to LBL a few times and coworkers went to coal creek once last summer, they said it was crazy huge.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:01 am 

Buckmaster wrote:

Hey Buck are you talking about Stree,Horselick,Bluehole? We used to camp over by Great Saltpeter Cave and trail ride over to those areas back in the early 80's

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:50 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

being within an hour/hour and half of both wellsville and hillsville, i find it very, very hard to travel to ride. i finally made it somewhere else when i went to wheeler's. which i think it has a ton of potential and a fun place, but riding wise i wouldn't trade anything for either of my usual spots. plus there are places even closer to me that are pretty good. BUT i will travel to see my friends and ride, because thats what it is really about for me, i had a blast at wheelers, and mainly because of everyone that was there, not so much the riding...

Board index » General » Places to ride