It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:05 pm

Board index » General » Places to ride

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Silver lake Dunes, Mi
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:47 pm 

Who has been to the dunes in Silver lake Mi?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:29 pm 

Myself and a few friends went thair a few years ago on laber day with our woods buggys . It was a great time , seen alot of impresive machines there, went swimming in lake mich. water was pretty cold too.I had never seen mountains of sand ,it was intimidating at first when you pull out of the parking lot and hit the sand and your motor bogs . Then come to the first big mountain and think noway i"ll make it , just hold it to the floor and get a good run and dont stop till your over the top . The sand drags on lake mich. side every evening are something to see , full blown jeeps, all kinds of buggys , and the fastest 4-wheelers I have ever seen....Like to go back some day..

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:36 pm 

I live about 3- 1/2 hours east of the dunes, it's alot of fun ,but it also gets really crowded during the peak duning season. There are alot of really nice toys there memorial day and labor day weekend. Usually there will be a good half dozen $100,000 buggys flying around.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:49 am 

Planing a family camping trip 15-19 june 2009, gonna stay at Jellystone camp ground. Wife wants to see Yogie and kids should like the activities.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:49 am 

Planing a family camping trip 15-19 june 2009, gonna stay at Jellystone camp ground. Wife wants to see Yogie and kids should like the activities.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:20 am 

A group of guys from the cincy area are trying to plan a trip up there for the first time. Seams like a good place to take the kids.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:09 pm 

I'd like to go to the dunes this summer but I'm not sure when would be a good time. I think we'd rather go when it's not jam packed, that means no holidays. Anyone have a suggestion on good times to go or decent places to stay? I'm thinking June sometime. Would like to get a cabin or cottage that sleeps 4.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:37 pm 

we go up every year in Aug. I have a for seat turbo charged Haybusa.Image

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:54 am 

I thought about August too. Maybe we'll try to schedule something when all the kids are back in school. I'd guess it's less crowded then. My dad needs to finish up his buggy anyway. That way we can have a couple buggies up there just in case we need a tow out. I've been up there twice, without a buggy, and it was always packed.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:45 pm 
BOTM Winner

I have been up there several times, and stayed at most of the campgrounds. BEWARE of jelly stone. I will never stay there again. mandatory quiet time at like 9:30 or 10. they threatened to throw us out for being too loud and we were the only ones there... no kidding. just be ready

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:02 pm 

Been there. I didn't care for it. Place is too small after 5 laps around the place we were bored . No huge hills to climb and the sand is all beat up. Maybe if you had a 150000 $ buggy it may be fun to get some air . The woods is for us. Flags. Can't camp there . certain hrs of ride time . Can't drive by the beach anymore . Ill stick to the woods. No rules lol. Now idaho were talkin sand

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:08 pm 

RaceBugg1098 wrote:
I have been up there several times, and stayed at most of the campgrounds. BEWARE of jelly stone. I will never stay there again. mandatory quiet time at like 9:30 or 10. they threatened to throw us out for being too loud and we were the only ones there... no kidding. just be ready

Hell you were just getting primed up at that time :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:33 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Location: rittman,ohio ----------- wellsville, water cooled chapter
We are going to try it this year . I know some people that will rent a cabin that is at the entrance to the dunes . Kinda a bucket list type of thing !

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:39 am 

I go to Silver often. It's really hard on buggies. But then it was my first time and I didn't have my buggy set up for it. You gotta have some good floatation going on. I will prolly go out again with the W/C motor and see if I like it better. There's a lot going on all the time. It's not a vast desert to explore but it's all we have up here.

Oh and it's always busy. There really isn't an off time to go. You gotta arrive early Friday to get vouchers to get into the dunes all weekend too. They give you a time to enter the park and it might not be until Saturday afternoon, but once you wait in line and get in with your voucher you can come and go as much as you want.

Also the campgrounds can be ultra conservative so do some research. I've heard some horror stories about most of the grounds that are located right on silver lake. Most of the ones a short distance away are more fun. I've never stayed at Jelly but I think that's for a reason. We like to party too.

I have a great story from Silver Lake. It was Saturday afternoon and the wife and I had been out on the dunes in the buggy spinning tires for a few hours. It was real hot. We decided to go back to the campground to cool off. We rode through town and then around this big left handed turn right before the driveway to the C-ground. In the corner I heard a light metal pinging like something skipping across the cement. A few seconds later moments before I was going to turn right into the C-ground, I noticed something coming up right next to me. "What the!" I said as my wife screamed. And I reached out a little to late to try to grab my rear wheel as it passed inches from me and continued down the road until it fell into the drainage ditch next to the road. Then.. the axle hit the road. lol I had to fish that mucky tire out of the ravine and then jack up the buggy just enough to get it on and limp it back into the campground. Talk about embarrassing. Managed to find a replacement nut and made sure to buy hardened hair pins from then on!
That's another nice thing about Silver, Appletree stays open the whole weekend for parts. I was just up there a few weeks back buying a new gas tank and I mentioned to the guy how weird it was to be in town and be completely silent - no revving atvs. He said he loved the off season because you can actually get across town in a reasonable amount of time!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:54 am 

Oh and someone mentioned something about not being able to get to the beach? Unless there was some recent development I haven't heard about there's an area where you park near the beach and can walk out to shore. This spot has many big stagnant 'puddles' that can be fun if you don't mind the stink.

Board index » General » Places to ride