It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:19 pm

Board index » General » Places to ride

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: South Central KY
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:26 am 

Hey y'all
I'm new to the site and all I can say is... Damn! What took me so long to find this place? This is by far the best forum going! Been having some probs posting until today. Invalid something-or-another blah blah... Oh well, it works now.

There's a couple places in SCKY I'd like to share if anyone's interested...

The first is near the thriving metropolis of Exie, Ky located near the Green/ Adair/ Metcalf county lines. There's no phone#, no website, no contacts whatsoever. I'm not even sure if I could give good directions. Don't worry though, the life-flight chopper knows where it's at. We call it Mell ridge, it probably has other names as well. I'd be willing to meet anyone at an easy to find location and go from there. There's a variety of terrain from good trails, rutted trails, mud, creeks, powerline, mild hills and the hill we call "suicide". I personally have never seen anyone climb suicide, but it has been done. The traffic usually isn't bad. Mostly consisting of 4 wheelers, jeeps, sammys, rails, bikes etc...

Place #2 is in Adair county outside of Columbia. We call it Sand Lick, I'm sure it has other names as well. I'm not as familiar with it, but have ridden there a time or 2.

So holler if anyone's interested in checking these out. I'm always looking for company. I'd also like to come to D&K and others sometime soon. I've been to Brimstone Mtn and Harlan (Evarts) on the 4wheeler, but gotta get back now that my buggy is going. I don't get really crazy, usually just climb enough to make my backside pucker up real good. Definitely ain't gonna touch suicide, I don't have the equipment or the cods! Any takers???

-Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:57 pm 

How far are these places from the Northern Ky,like Florence,Erlanger etc.Am real interested in wheelin in new places,especially "KY".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:33 pm 

I did a few quik searches for reference.
Approx distance from:
Louisville -90mi
Lexington -100mi
Somerset -66mi
Bowling Green -60mi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:33 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

I'd like to check them out, especially the one near Columbia. My wife has family there and everytime we visit them I'm thinking "There has GOT to be some riding down here somewhere".

Planning on riding at D&K the weekend right before New Years. Come on down and ride and we'll make some plans to go to Columbia!!

Next time after the 1st that you want to ride near Columbia, post it up or something. I just about gaurantee three buggies that will show up.

Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:16 pm 

Sounds good, and thanks for the invite! I'll definitely see about joining you at D&K. Do you camp, hotel, or make it a day trip? My wife and I usually make 3 or 4 camping/riding trips a year. (quads, but trying to get her to trust me in the bug!!) I've got a willing co-pilot, but he's only 2 right now.
Both places I mentioned are near Columbia, so it's like they say... 6 of one, well, you know the rest...
I used to know more places around there a few years back. I grew up in Campbellsville and rode quads all over the area. Been in BG for several years and have kinda lost touch...
-later

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:48 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

We camp usually. Its a little far for a day ride, but I've done it. (3 1/2 hrs. one way). They also have two heated cabins you can rent for about $30 a night , but you gotta reserve pretty far in advance if its a big weekend. They have a limited number of electric hookups for campers, but Darrel (the owner) will do all he can to accomodate as best he can.

D&K's number is:1-606-598-2776. If you dont need a cabin, no need to call, though. Just show up Friday or Saturday!! I'll be glad to meet you along the way and y'all could follow us in if you wanted.

If your woman will ride a quad w/ you, tell her she'll be safer than a baby in its mothers arms riding in the buggy, compared to one of them death trap quads! :D As long as the shoulders and laps are on, that is.

Maybe towards the end of January we can meet somewhere in Columbia?

Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:33 pm 

Ha, we camp in a tent! I guess I'll need to figure something out. Might call about a cabin tmrw. The 'ol lady says she'll give the buggy another chance. That could be interesting!
So do you take riders? Who else is planning to go that weekend? I'm ready to go, It'll be my first trip with other buggies. Usually I'm surrounded by rhinos and quads. Just got my ride finished this summer so I'm still finding out what it'll do. (finished... yeah, ok)
What are the rules at D&K if any? Can you enjoy a cold drink on the trails?

We'll definitely have to go to Mell ridge in late january. It'll be much easier for you (coming from Lville) to meet me at the Horse Cave exit (58?) off of I-65. From there it's only like 30 - 45 minutes on backroads. That's the way I go anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:18 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Mine's a single seater, so my only riders are in my cooler!
But bring who you want, or whoever makes you bring 'em :twisted: !

You can camp in whatever you like at D&K.
Rules at D&K,
1)No drugs or alcohol*
2)Wear a helmet if you ride a bike or quad. (They are kinda frowned on anyways, unless Darrel knows you, from what I understand)
3)Bring it out if you bring it in
4)No speeding in the parking/camping area (4 1/2 mph, its posted :lol: )
5)Be quiet at night in/around camp. (Partyin's ok, but dont be revving your motor and all that crap, or playin' loud jungle music :lol: )
6)Be sure to stop and talk to Darrel or Kathleen.... and pay 'em.

All in all, just pretty much be curteous of the owners (they live there) and treat the place like you care about it. Better than if it was your own.

7)Mostly....have fun!!

*PM'ed you

Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:58 am 
BOTM Winner

ha! if can jump in hear. id like to get in with yall and ride ether at d&k or by you me and my wife both have buggys and both like to have cold drinks on the trail.........and if your wife cant handel your driving she can ride with mine.just let us know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:23 am 

[quote='earlytimz']Who else is planning to go that weekend? I'm ready to go, It'll be my first trip with other buggies. [/quote]

All the regulars will be there, plus many others. You'll have plenty of people to ride with and I can guaranty you will have a blast. You really should go ahead and call about the cabin because there are people coming from out of state and they may be taken. Hope to see you there.

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:43 pm 

Thanks, looking forward to meeting y'all and riding!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:54 pm 
They will over look the cold drinks; just do not be belligerent with it. Darrel and Kathleen are both very religious people but do over look a lot of things. And most important have some good fun!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:01 pm 

Hey now I can be well behaved when I need to. I've got a brother who's a preacher, so I won't hold the religious thing against them. Thanks for the heads up.

Post subject: Re: South Central KY
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:05 pm 

Just wandering if you still ride if you do let me know I'm in Campbellsville.

Post subject: Re: South Central KY
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:06 pm 

theres a few of us wanting to load up and do some riding this weekend if anyone around central Ky is interested... Probably be sunday. Goin early Saturday with a buddy to pick up his motor from Southern Buggys and planning on having it all together sat night and he's already said he's wanting to try it out sunday. We'll prob go to Keith Fanchers place (hart county) or Hickory Ridge (aka Mud camp in Monroe county). Feel free to give me a shout before the weekend if you wanna go also.

Board index » General » Places to ride