It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:09 pm

Board index » General » Places to ride

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Black Mountain
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:27 pm 
BOTM Winner

There is a place in Harlan County Kentucky called Black Mountain. I personally have not been there yet but I know a couple of people that have.

More information at: www.harlancountytrails.com

Roy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:51 am 

I've been there,and is a nice place to trail ride with the family.The sceinery is great.The only thing i didn't like was the trails are realy easy,and it's not a good place to hillclimb.Give it a few years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:19 am 
Hill Climber

Is there potential for hillclimbing? I always carry an axe. Only takes about a half hour to clean one. The only time I hug trees is while I'm carring them out of the way.
Dean

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:55 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Been there twice. There is definatley potential, but blazin new trails or cutting down trees is about the only thing that WILL piss off the locals and the quad club that oversees the riding area.
You can drive all over the town in any ORV, no tags needed. Drove my buggy to the store and a uniformed cop was all over and around my buggy in the parking lot talkin' 'bout how he much he liked them and wanted one!
The locals will bend over backwards to make sure you have a good time. They will show around the trails, they will fetch parts from Harlen (Actually 25 minutes away from trailhead) for you. We were invited to a family bar-b-que a couple doors down from our rental cabin, and they werent even offroaders!
Evarts ,KY is where the trailhead actually is. We were told if you do get a local to guide you , there is pretty cool stuff that isnt on the trail maps, but I broke the first day when I went the first time, and the second time I was in my Cherokee and my Dad was in his '79 CJ7 and it was his first ride, so we took it easy.

Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:24 am 
WB Contributor

Be wary if they are sponsored by Southern 4 Wheel drive in any way. Southern 4wheel worked to get rails outlawed at Tellico. Gave $30,000 to the park and if you aren't 4wheel drive or a ATV you can ride there at all. We were blamed for speeding, causing erosion by spinning out tires and so many other infractions. Would like to ride there and show them we aren't that way as we were portrayed.
Why can't we all just get along on the trails.

The Wild Kids

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:52 pm 

My last trip to Harlam,we camped about 2.5 miles from the trail head.Driving on the road all weekend wore almost a half inch off my freshly cut firestones.Driving around on the streets is fun,but the wear and tear on the tires isn't.We also got stopped coming out of the trail head,and had to take a breath alizer as soon as we hit the black top.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:05 am 
WB Contributor

[quote='m.ralston']We also got stopped coming out of the trail head,and had to take a breath alizer as soon as we hit the black top.[/quote]

That would suck, for sure to get checked like that. Some of us like to take a cooler for refreshments. I guess that would be out for sure.

The Wild Kids

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:36 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

A cooler is not a problem if you play it right. Dont come out of the woods at dusk .Either be out before supper time, or wait until 9:30 or later. If you come to the trailhead and see cops sitting there, just turn around and go back up for a little while. They dont care if you drink in the park, but you have to blacktop it for at least 1/4 mile after you come out and they dont want you to be drunk on the streets. They wont chase you or anything, and you can see them sitting there well before you get right up to them. For me, if I cant have a beer, I aint ridin!

Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:39 pm 

All four of us had been drinking all day,but none of us got a dui.I think they was just trying to show that they are keeping a eye out.We all blew over the limit,but they just told us to have a good day.

Post subject: Black Mtn
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:47 pm 

Have been there several times. Friends just got back from the" fall crawl "that was put on in Harlen Co.(Evarts,Ky)Ky.The last time we rode there was in the spring of this year. There were plenty of hills to climb and lots of rocks to crawl over. We run autosticks adapted to bus trans, which makes for some great crawling. After sitting down at supper with them on sunday, they were telling me about some of the trails, that we liked so well are now IMPASSABLE!,so they said. Seems the 4wds have dug out some pretty deep spots against the bottom of the rocks. They also told me about one trail that is now one way only. One great thing about Everts is that the trails are mapped out and marked so well. Makes me want to go back as soon as possible. We meet nice people up there every time we go. Found some nice houses to rent for the weekend, that had recently been fully remodeled,- even had one of the best tasting apple pies I have ever tried, sitting on the table waiting on us. Great ride! Great hospitallity. When I figure the pics part out I will post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:12 am 
WB Videographer and BOTM winner

I have rode 4wheelers there several times even before it was officially an off road park but haven't had a buggy there yet. People in Evarts are awesome. Plenty of places to rent or you can camp in the park. Great place.

Post subject: Re: Black Mtn
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:55 pm 

[quote="buggy66"]Have been there several times. Friends just got back from the" fall crawl "that was put on in Harlen Co.(Evarts,Ky)Ky.The last time we rode there was in the spring of this year. There were plenty of hills to climb and lots of rocks to crawl over. We run autosticks adapted to bus trans, which makes for some great crawling. After sitting down at supper with them on sunday, they were telling me about some of the trails, that we liked so well are now IMPASSABLE!,so they said. Seems the 4wds have dug out some pretty deep spots against the bottom of the rocks. They also told me about one trail that is now one way only. One great thing about Everts is that the trails are mapped out and marked so well. Makes me want to go back as soon as possible. We meet nice people up there every time we go. Found some nice houses to rent for the weekend, that had recently been fully remodeled,- even had one of the best tasting apple pies I have ever tried, sitting on the table waiting on us. Great ride! Great hospitallity. When I figure the pics part out I will post.[/quote]

I was at fall crawl in my buggy. I went with some friends that grew up in Everts, and rode there for years, and knowed the mountains well. I did'nt have very good luck though, broke a torsion bar and ended my ride early.

Board index » General » Places to ride