It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:54 pm

Board index » General » Places to ride

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Windrock
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:06 am 
WB Contributor

AKA Coal Creek. Wow! This place has got a lot of history! Pull it up under Tennesse mining diasters (Fraterville).I thought Alabama had it bad back then!I think ours was a picnic now.Amazing!We had train tracks running all over Al. named LnN R.R.(Louisville and Nashville) servicing mines.Today their left behind Railroad beds make GREAT buggy trails.

Post subject: Re: Windrock
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:27 pm 

Hey Passat 2800, you should come & ride some of the old mining areas,One trail actually runs up a old incline that still has the old crossties & cables( its very steep too )It was how they got the coal down the Mt.& people back up.Some trails go right by some of the old mine entrances,you can go back several feet if your brave enough!! One mine goes from one side of the Mt. to the other side,its fell in now though.A lot of old home places,schools,churches,cemeteries.Trail 51 to G-63 goes down to the old Fraterville mine area,you can get to the circle cemetery where all the miners were buried with a short run on the pavement. Any time you want to come up we can show you around and take you to some of the old mine areas.We also have a book about the area one of the old miners has done & its very interesting.A lot of history here.Also check out the Coal Creek War.
Thanks Lady Bug

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:15 pm 

man that sounds great i would love to ride those trails... i love old mines and train track beds ... its wats all around my house so thats wat we ride... alot of history to learn to...... got any old pics of the hills and places, i always enjoy lookin at them

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:01 am 
WB Contributor

Bobby and I are in.I love old history.My mother moved from Peytonsville outside of Franklin back in the 40's.We go up for reunoins from time to time. It is rich in Civil War history.

Board index » General » Places to ride