It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:17 pm

Board index » General » Places to ride

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hillznhollarz
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:48 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Checked out a new park outside of Shelbyville, KY yesterday. Its a little over 600 acres w/ 350 more coming soon. The owner is just getting started w/ it . He's hired a guy w/ a D6 to clear a coupl access roads and a NICE big parking/camping area. Got one main trail in and we cut some climbs out of a creek bed yesterday. He's gonna have a "grand opening" in a month or so. His website: www.hillznhollarz.com . He said it should be updated in a few days to tell all about it.

Its got some decent potential for buggies. Its great right now for 4x4's. It'll never be a D&K or Wellesvile, just not enough elevation. SHOULD be excellent for mild climbs and trail riding, and Joe,the owner, is super cool and very excited about the place.

I had to bring my Cherokee, since my buggy is tore down to swap everything to my new frame :evil: . Oh well it worked out because since I was lugging around in a Jeep , my Dad was willing to go on his SECOND ride ever. He has a '79 CJ7 and hates to hold us up when we are in the buggies. Can't convince him to sell that Pile and get a buggy (YET!!). He wont hardly set a foot in one :roll: .

Anyways, my buddy Scott brought his 1915 stock 6 rib single seater. The Jeep guys that were there had found a little climb that they were NOT making. There were some pretty high dollar rigs there ,too. They were SAWING on it. Spinning four wheels. Gettin jacked sideways. They were all like "Here ya go, try that 2 wheeler on this baby. Betcha it cant do it.":lol: These dudes must've never been around a woodsbuggy. Scott went up it at about 2000rpm and never slipped a tire!! It was friggin hilarious! When we were ready to leave, Joe told Scott half the Jeep guys were ready to sell out and look for a buggy to buy!!

I'm gonna try and link to an album on photobucket:
http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o317/kybuggy1/rides/

Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:29 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

LOOKS LIKE FUN HOW FAR FROM LEXINGTON?

Jesus loves me, but everyone else thinks im an asshole.

Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail us now!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:00 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

I'd guess its about 40 minutes from Lexington to Shelbyville exit (#35). Then the park is about 30-40 minutes from the interstate.

Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:09 am 
WB Contributor

Used to go up that way twice a year for the Machine Gun shoot at Knob Creek. Had a blast there. Might have to make a trip over there sometime.

The Wild Kids

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:41 am 
Hill Climber

I was just in Pleasureville Ky. Last weekend. Is that the new place near there? Gustograber was telling me about it.
Dean

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:48 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Yes it is. You have to go right thru Pleasureville to get to the ORV park!
I'd give it til the end of summer before I made a long haul for this place. Its only 1 1/2 hrs. for me, but I wouldnt want to drive 4 or 5 hrs for it just yet. It DOES have potential. The owner is a Jeep guy, and thought he had already found some pretty tough climbs in the park. They weren't tough for a buggy, but he says further down the ridge we were playing on, it gets steeper and longer. The dozer is gradually working its way to it. He was pretty impressed by what a buggy will do. We are going to try and go back on another "work weekend" to do all we can to make the place as "buggy oriented " as he will let us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:00 am 
WB Contributor

Check out the rules page, not a biggy they just require mufflers. Just wanted to throw that out there for people to be aware. Be a pain to drive any distance and not be able to ride because of a muffler or spark arrestor.

The Wild Kids

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:57 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

If you wanted to slide a spark arrestor over your exhaust tip just for confidence, then that'd be ok, but this guy that runs this place really wouldnt give a damn. He probably put that in his rules to satisfy any tree huggers that might decide to give him grief. He never even thought nothin about it when we were there. If he was to get a noise complaint, I'd imagine he'd just ask you to take care of your "loudnees" before next time, there's no way he'd turn you home over it.

Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:58 am 

I went there this past weekend. Great Place, more to come, I went out with Roy( the guy with a bad ass jeep, and cut down about 98% of all the trails) Great guy and great place ti ride, think of Haspin Acres in the very begining. hill climbs are long and tall, good creek run, it has great potential for camping and riding as time goes on. the more who ride there the more the trails will be made.

direction - do not go by google by driving down 127 , that road sucks bad!
goto sparta exit 64 and south on 35 into Owenton then to 22 make right!

look for red and white Ace Grocery Store sign to turn left on 389.

he will be adding more gravel to make a bigger parking lot, right now small parking lot and big mudd pits on the top of the hills, the mudd pits will soon turn into the camping.

He is charging 5.00 for Hillznhollarz club sticker that you have to ride, if you loose it you will need to buy another on for 5.00.

Oh yeah, no big back hoe to pull you out so you will need a went to get your self out or friends!

There is a deep creek hole about 7 foot deep, jeep on 48" got stuck in it, It took everthing the owner had in his jeep to get him out!

maybe a sign would help, other holes in the creek a rail could go through easy.

Got and check it out..... Will only get better with you support~!

'67 Fastback mca#63430
new Rail buggie
87 sami - "SPLATTT2"
vote! - http://top4x4sites.com/cgi-bin/arp/rank ... d=woodsbug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:52 am 

Yeah, I emailed the guy about the rules a while back because I was wondering the same things. He said that was just for backup in case the locals started getting on him and that we were good to go!
Pat

Board index » General » Places to ride