It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:48 pm

Board index » Buy Sell Trade » Parts, Parts & More Parts

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: weatherproofing!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:28 pm 

So I have all the stuff I need to hook up a system in my buggy, I got a jvc head unit two 6x9 400 watt speakers and two 6 Inch speakers in a truck box. But I need some help weatherproofing this stuff mainly just the amp and the head unit. I don't have a dash so I figure I would take the casing out of a old car dash and stick my head unit in there. And rig something to cover the faceplate. So the amp is kind of exposed and I have no idea how to wether proof that amp it needs to have air or it will overheat so... yup that's where I'm at now. Any advice is appreciated.

lord forgive me for I have sinned,
I hit a 3rd gear jump, 4th gear pinned!

Post subject: Re: weatherproofing!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:19 am 

They make a universal DIN sized boat enclosure with a snap closed clear cover for using non-marine radios in marine applications. I think it is about $30. If you can return the JVC Radio, I would look into a Clarion CMS 1. It is just a waterproof faceplate and the chassis remote mounts. Jensen makes a marine radio as well that fits a 2 5/8" gauge hole. My buddy is happy with the Jensen and I am happy with my clarion.

As for the speakers. The only real difference between a marine speaker and a regular one is that the basket of the speaker is plastic instead of metal so they don't rust. Also the front is sealed where the tweeter comes through the middle of the speaker. If the middle of those 6x9's you purchased are open in the middle, the moisture and dirt will ruin them sooner or later. The rust won't be an issue if the speakers are in an enclosure of some sort. I would recommend a cheap set of component speakers (separate tweeter). The front of the speaker is totally sealed. Pioneer has a great set of components that are pretty cheap.

I put my amp in a sealed metal box. The box has a 3/4 plastic tube on each side (in and out). The in pipe goes up to a small breather style air filter to keep dust out. The out tube goes to my air intake. The intake pulls a vacuum so it circulates clean, cool air to the amp without a fan.

Just my $.02. I have been doing car and home stereos for 15 years now. Hope some of this helps.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:23 am 

Here is the eBay auction number for the radio enclosure.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:27 am 

Also put that filter for the amp up higher than you plan on sinking or you might fill your amp box with water. I have mine mounted by my pcv and fuel tank vents at about head height.

Board index » Buy Sell Trade » Parts, Parts & More Parts