It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:58 pm

Board index » General » Pictures and Videos

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:59 pm 

They're from Milners in the UK, they occasionally use them on their higher end cars. Fortunately, they've got a few pairs on the shelf and lent us a set to mock up with :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:25 pm 

Space is getting a little tight...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:36 pm 

Bit of framework to make it easier to shape the rear bonnet/scoops, yeah, you know how I said the engine bay was quite tightly packed? :D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:32 pm 
Master fabricator

Looks good Phillip. Two questions what are you using for rear fenders and how much does the car weigh?

G
A

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:08 pm 

They're just some cheap plastic mudguards from an artic truck/trailer, supersingle size I believe.

All up weight, I'm not sure yet, but expecting around 950kg with driver/codriver aboard, so around the 1800lb mark unladen.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:59 pm 

Hmm, weighed up some bits and it might be a bit lighter than that by 20-30kg or so.

Anyway spaghetti junction time this week:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:22 pm 

Shiny Shiny Shiny Shiny Shiny....

Much more fun than wiring anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:02 pm 

Oooh, lovely shiny working thing:

Ooops, I, err, it wasn't me, a strange bloke broke it and ran off.

Then there was an incident involving a pillar drill butchering some finely machined components, a tap, some deburrers and some extra parts. I didn't take a photo of those because of their graphic nature to anyone of a pistonheaded persuasion.

Anyway, it all got back to being shiny after some TLC and some T-cut, and I think all the important bits went back in. I'm sure it'll fine.
That bit that pinged off into the corner didn't look vital.

Here we have 1 whole wheel on the floor, we've invented an agricultural unicycle!

And look, a real floor, that's an extra 5 years on my kneecap lifespan! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:37 pm 

what kinda trans is that phillip?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:46 am 
WB Contributor

I think he has a Herrier jet motor he's not telling us about with vertical take off.lol

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:44 am 

frankenbuggy06 wrote:
what kinda trans is that phillip?

It's a UN5 out of a Renault Master commercial van.
Gear changes are sluggish but it's pretty strong, gears are ~25mm wide on a 90mm spacing, 225mm 4-spider crownwheel, etc, and it fits where the VW box does with a little bit of carving.
The best bit is, that one there cost us £50...which over here is cheaper than a standard secondhand volkswagen box.
The gears are spaced pretty wide but that's a good thing if you still have a low revving VW in there anyway, 1st is very low though, we only ever use it for putting the buggy on the trailer, we've enough power to launch in 2nd and light it up right to the limiter - 4th was a bit long for the power we had with the rotary when racing, that and 5th would be great for cruising though. (Actually, would probably be great multipurpose gearbox over there for you guys, short 1st for climbing, long 4th/5th for riding the trails)

I did have a local engineering firm make us a shorter 3rd and 4th gearset, but I don't think we're going to need it now with the new engine.

Had a long session the other day stringing the car up to rework the geometery on the rear arms - they originally came off a baja 1000 car with 12 inches of travel and were set for very little camber and no toe-in at all, we altered that when we went with the rose-jointed outer mounts, which gave a bit bump-steer at the limits when running 14 inches of travel back there, but shifting up to 17-18 inches really showed the flaws in the setup, especially as the long driveshafts allowed a lot more trailing arm angle to be used:

Anyway, after a few hours of head scratching I pretty much just cut up the prototype arm, and decided to alter the mounts on the car to get things better, which I've been wanting to do for a while anyway.
Lifted the outer joint by just over an inch, and reduced the amount of camber gain by shifting it backwards 1/4 inch, which should drop the rear roll centre and straightens out the toe curve - 1/10th inch toe-in at ride height - and doesn't change much for a few inches either way - 1/10th toe-out at full droop, and 1/5th inch toe-in at full bump, which should keep the back end stable over jumps and when on the gas whilst allowing a bit of rear steer on the brakes in the tight stuff.
Camber is ~2* negative at ride height and runs up to about 7* at full bump, which isn't far off what we had before over the shorter travel, so all-in-all, was worth a bit of time, although now the arm needs redesigning :D

Passat - there's plenty of those going spare now, you need to do something with 'em!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:28 pm 

Fine tuned using a carefully calibrated hunk 'o' wood

Last edited by PhillipM on Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:56 pm, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:50 pm 

Well, the new arm revealed one stumbling block after being cycled - the existing rear geometry gave massive toe change with the extra travel we were intent on using, and nothing beneficial either. After hearing Ed swearing about it for a while I had a look and decided to just re-do the mounting points on the car and make another new arm - I've been wanting to alter some of the rear geometery for a while, so there's really no better time than when you're making a new arm.
We've removed a little of the rear camber change, and lifted the outer pivot to help with the toe curve, which now has about half the previous toe change over the travel and what is there is helping rather than hindering now. As a side bonus that brings the anti squat up a little closer to where I'd like it, and lowers the rear roll centre which should help with a little more traction/grip.
Cheap and cheerful jig to swap the pivot location over to the other side of the car, nothing fancy but it works:

And on with the new, new arms:

It's actually made the area for transmitting load around the bumpstops and damper mounts much neater so they should end up a little lighter too, added bonus!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:27 am 

Car going back together and shiny new discs - clearance on the caliper is a little risky mind...

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 11:54 pm 

I just went through this entire thread again. This is a great buggy and I love all the shinny stuff!

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 1:20 am 
WB Contributor

Do not talk to British people. They have destroyed the English language.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:02 pm 
WB Contributor

Passat you drinking that radiator shine again

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:42 pm 

Yes, it's taking a while but we've both had allsorts of other shite on lately. Getting there though, can't say I really like the new bonnet shape but needs must for the minute, might change it later. It's getting a lighter fibreglass one made anyway.

Cardboard Aided Design in use again ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:43 pm 

2800passat wrote:
Do not talk to British people. They have destroyed the English language.

I'm pretty certain you would manage to destroy any and all languages when you've been on the good stuff :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:01 pm 
Master fabricator

Someone has a real good grip on the aluminum work, looks awesome. Please ignore the village idiot, he knows not what he says.

G
A

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:18 pm 

It's not too bad, but should be better once it's all welded up and blended in. There's a couple of spots where it's warped, around the side of the lights mainly, as the welds have pulled it a bit, and they need tapping out and flatting off - but I'm leaving that until the tubework has been cut out from underneath in case it moves a little (the tube is just there to work from, there'll just be the hoop around the bottom left in as the gas-rams to lift the bonnet bolt to it).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:53 pm 

PhillipM wrote:
Yes, it's taking a while but we've both had allsorts of other shite on lately. Getting there though, can't say I really like the new bonnet shape but needs must for the minute, might change it later. It's getting a lighter fibreglass one made anyway.

Cardboard Aided Design in use again ;)

Those are a work of art. I can't imagine the hours you have in to them.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:31 pm 

Not being too happy with the temporary air inlets for the manifold and supercharger, and having a spare bit of billet from another project, Ed make a small mountain of swarf today and replaced the manifold one whilst I was swearing at the cam sensor (I had to make a plug for it, because we couldn't get a connector to fit it for love nor money):

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:30 pm 

Ed's been busy again, yep, he's started chopping the front out now the rear's going back together. May as well have built a new car....
New front cross going in that mates to the beam stiffening bars we added a few years back, and is higher to clear the new pedals and fuel tank/battery/PAS which have been shifted backwards for better weight distribution:

New mounts for pedal box going on:

And some new floor bars, to mount the seat belts clear of the new bulkhead and help prevent anal insertion of the various large rocks we always seem to land on.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:47 am 
WB Contributor

That is some great fab work!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Board index » General » Pictures and Videos