It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:48 am

Board index » General » Pictures and Videos

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:28 am 

Finished off some last bits of dashboard wiring today (few extra's been added, launch control settings, etc), and tidied all the wiring behind it into neat runs, switched idiot lights out for LED's (which then required ripping them to bits and trying to add diodes and ballast resistors in the case of the alternator charging light....good fun trying to solder them in a space about 8mm x 4mm.....lots of swearing, some burnt fingers.

Anyway, kettle went on, coffee came out, shiny lights:

As promised, new front bonnet, ignore the steel box section, it was just there to hold the front square whilst welding as it's fairly thin aluminium, it's on hinges now and will get a gas ram lifter fitted to secure it, much easier to work on if you break down away from the service area then.

And new floorpan is on, new bulkhead, seat mounts, pedals, etc:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:11 am 

Looks good. Your hard work shows.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:18 pm 

Yeah, we've gone to quite a lot more effort with panelwork, etc, than we'd normally do - and it's taken far too much time - but this is the last time this car will get any major upgrades so given the effort that's gone into the drivetrain and suspension, we thought we may as well take a few more weeks and get everything square and shiny anyway. :D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:18 pm 

I'm jelous ! But I think you need air brakes and a parachute . :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:03 am 

Well, we have had a bit of a discussion and decided to uprate the front brakes a little - power wise they were fine, but we thought it was asking a bit much of the postage-stamp size pads in the little dynapro calipers for heat to be honest.

Anyway, we have some 4-pot dynalites we got given as they need a rebuild and they're damaged on the pad retainers, but that doesn't bother us, we'll drill and tap them for a bridge bolt instead - anyway, we're going to switch to those I think, they're only a few ounces heavier than the 2-pots.

Now, we'd finished machining the new front hubs (Did I mention we were making new front hubs? Anyway, they're to let us bolt Mitsubishi alloys straight onto the VW front end, saves us the hassle of keep making wheels) and brake bells already for the old discs:

...but in usual style, the old discs are a bit small for the 4-pots, which really need something in the 270-285mm range to match the pad shape, anyway, out came the CAD:

:D

Doesn't really cost us anything to switch the discs as the old ones can go with the old Wilwood hubs and the Dynapro's as a package to sell on - which should just about cover our materials for the new stuff, if not any of our labour :lol:

Been a while since updates as I suddenly lost my grandfather about a week after being diagnosed with cancer, so have been sorting everything out for my grandmother and running his businesses he's left behind (which is great fun when you don't have any accounts, passwords or know any of the suppliers or customers, and had to put the yearly accounts in for the employees the same week he passed...:o ).
To top it off I'm nursing a broken arm too atm, but we're getting back on track at last.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:19 am 

Nice looking brakes Phillip. Hope all goes well sorting out your grandfather's affairs.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:21 am 

Yeah, just about got sorted with most things, so back to beating the buggy with hammers this week.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:27 pm 
BOTM Winner

Looks great! I am not a big fan or the wilwoods myself, but your hubs look plenty stout!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:33 pm 

They're actually lighter than the Wilwood hubs, they just look bigger than they are in the photo's I think - the bolt holes on the top there are only 6mm for scale.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:42 am 

Hubs on and caliper mountings sorted:

Even the dog reckons it's time it had the wheels on:

Image (video clicky)

Engine bay loom got altered with some extras and a new connector, this one is rated to work under 6ft of water, so we should be good :D

Thousands of miles and plenty of trophies to it's name, but that abused old Peugeot 106 steering wheel is finally retiring from it's life of misery and pain (Ed's taking around the back and having it shot*).

Of course, that means an adaptor is required for the new one. The remains of my 306 got butchered for a column spline to use for spinning a new adaptor up in the lathe - thankfully it hasn't been disconnected to sell yet!
Lightening scallops courtesy of a Mr A.Grinder...

Due to having to TIG the old centre spline in it's all in steel, so no shiny anodised ally things today for you all. Terrible, I know - I'm sorry.
I think that's -5bhp for lack of anodising and -8bhp for not being able to say 'Billet Ally!' when talking about it.

(*KIDS! I'm joking, the wheel has gone to a home for retired steering wheels, it's getting leather food every day and frollicking in fields with other wheels, it's in a caring, happy place - and definately hasn't been violently butchered by an angle grinder wielding maniac requiring the steel spline out of the centre.)

Then someone lost a barn door so we decided to strap it to the back of the buggy:

3D printing the spars:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:07 am 

Where does he get these wonderful toys?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:02 pm 
BOTM Winner

Nice work!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:47 pm 

lngtrvl2332 wrote:

Where does he get these wonderful toys?

Haha, the printer isn't mine, a random guy on a forum offered to print them me if I did the CAD files and setup. :lol:

Saying that, it's just a cheap chinese ebay printer, about £300 he reckoned, so I'm tempted...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:22 pm 

Modified the dashboard to take a better fusebox we found at a local boatbuilding supplies - this one is double sealed and IP66 rated, and has individual power feeds rather than a common bus, which made things better for some things like the launch control and vtec because the feed for those comes through the ECU rather than off the common 12v positive.

It does have LED indicators for blown fuses, but as the cover was black plastic, that meant you can't tell if one has gone without taking the cover off - I didn't like that, at 100mph down a trail against the clock it's a lot better if a big red shiny light flashes up and goes 'Oy, you!... OY, YOU FUCKING IDIOT, SOMETHING'S GONE POP!'

So I fitted a piece of polycarb in the cover and leveled the top with epoxy just to make sure it's 100% sealed:

And tried a few sketches for mounting the rear wing. Bit of a pain as the width means the mountings end up on the plastic mudguards, which isn't much use if your wing is putting 800lbf on 'em :lol:

I like the plates from a wing performance point of view, but the tubular ones are easier to make and can be made adjustable far more easily, so will probably end up with those.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:45 am 

The latest version of additive manufacturing
can include metal brackets. The idea is to
stop the printer at pre-planned intervals so
that the metal bracket can be installed.
Once the bracket is installed, the printer
is restarted and the printer head is
pre-programmed to "go around" the
now-integrated metal part.
When this type of interrupted printing is
not used, non-metallic parts need to be designed
with reinforced stanchions, bosses, gusseting,
inserts, tee nuts, press-in nuts, clip-on
nuts or grooved and barbed nuts.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:06 am 

That's not much good when your printer only does 150mm in the Z-axis and your metal inserts are 1.5m long :lol:

The fancier printers can print carbon fibre reinforced plastics/titanium/steel/inconel, etc, anyway now, with decent strength, similar to a basic zero-pressure sand cast for the metals.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:42 pm 

Last batch of parts back from the zinc platers so things are finally going together with proper seals, bearings and greased up ready to go! :D

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:24 pm 

That's some nice equipment!!!!

Sent from my SCH-I545L using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:28 pm 

What are you using for the sway bar Phillip?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:07 pm 

Ah, it's not a sway bar, it's actually a second set of torsion bars that I can set to come in at a certain point with adjustable rate and progression, works in conjuction with the main springs as a quick and dirty way to stiffen the rear/act as a soft bumpstop on rougher events.

I'll get a clearer pic this week.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:22 pm 

Nice...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:42 pm 

1 step forwards and 96 steps back today with a load more issues discovered whilst reassembling - but working through them, and the front is finally together on shiny new alloys. We've even got a Christmas theme going as it looks like someone based the wheel/centre cap design on Rudolf...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:07 pm 

Added more louvers than a louvery thing at a louver convention:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:50 pm 

Been trying my awesome* Paint skills again:

*Holds for a given value of awesome.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:04 pm 
BOTM Winner

looks like something from a movie! pretty awesome!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Board index » General » Pictures and Videos