It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:28 am

Board index » General » Pictures and Videos

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:13 pm 

Hello Everyone,
My dad recently passed away and left me his buggy. He had owned it for a few years. I've owned one other rail buggy for a very short time but my amount of knowledge would feel a thimbol. So you folks will probably see a lot of me asking questions for the next little while. I remember the day he bought this buggy. I went with him. After he purchased it I drove it home for him. It was an hour long trip that included about 30 miles down interstate I75. I can remember thinking that dang this thing runs good. And although I couldn't pass any tractor/trailers I certainly had no trouble keeping up with them.

Here's a blurry pic of the overall buggy.

When dad bought it all the body work was black. He painted it blue and added some vinyl accents..

Here's a couple pics of the engine. I know it's a 19?? cc but I can't remember the exact specs. I'm gonna have some questions about this later.

It's got a 3 rib transmission. I've read that's a pretty good one.

There's more pictures in this album. I don't want to overflow you guys with them. http://s85.photobucket.com/user/gregmcdonald265/dads%20buggy/story

Thanks for looking and I'll take any advice you folks can offer. Have a good day!

3 rib tranny
My first "real" rail buggy...lol

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:07 pm 

Welcome to the site and nice buggy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:23 am 

Nice buggy, looks like a "pack rat" frame to me. Well put together and thought out. If that is a 1915 the limiting factor is the progressive carb. Now the 3 rib is a good trans but tall gears, remember that trans was in a big box with a good amount of weight and a small engine, they were not looking for speed. Again nice looking buggy.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:34 am 
WB Contributor

your gonna want to get rid of that clutch cable too...go hydraulic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:59 pm 

FOX SHOX wrote:
Nice buggy, looks like a "pack rat" frame to me. Well put together and thought out. If that is a 1915 the limiting factor is the progressive carb. Now the 3 rib is a good trans but tall gears, remember that trans was in a big box with a good amount of weight and a small engine, they were not looking for speed. Again nice looking buggy.

I just found some paperwork that the previous owner must have given dad. In it was a receipt from when he had it build. And on that receipt was indeed written "packrat frame" so that was an excellent call. I don't know if there is someway to tell what CC the engine is but I do remember the guy saying it was 19(and something) CC's Talking about the trans it seems like the guy said he had the 1st gear changed to something lower than stock. I can tell you that 1st is extremely low. You just barely get the thing rolling and it's time to change to 2nd. I'd say 65mph would top out the speed completely. Thank you for the info and compliment.

For the most part I think this buggy is going to be a street queen. I think me and the wife are going to use it to go "courting" at the local drive-in for the most part. I really don't need another off-road vehicle. I've got a RZR, two 4x4 ATV's and a dirt bike to ride. But it belonged to my dad so unless I go completely broke it'll stay in the family till it falls apart.

Thank you all for the info. I'm sure I'm gonna have a thousand other questions as I go along.

Greg

3 rib tranny

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:01 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

I will be very interested to see how the fenders work out.. It would be nice to keep some of the mud out of the buggy.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:54 pm 

My fenders didn't help you Dan...lol

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:52 am 

RE: The fenders...

I ain't too crazy about them fenders. The kinda remind me of the lady with the world's largest hips...hehe

In all seriousness the original owner said they worked great. He incorporated them in with the tree bars so they are plenty stout. But to me it makes the buggy look like it's all "butt". I was thinking of doing some type of hood system (I posted that in the fabrication section). I think that would help even out the look a little.

And some other thoughts.....

As I said above this buggy was my dad's. He bought it from the guy that had it built about 4 years ago I guess. Dad bought it just to ride around town on. He loved the idea of open-air rides. Dad would just drive it the store or to his office and then back home. I doubt he ever went over 10 miles in it.

It's really a great buggy I think. The guy he got it from did a good solid build on it. It's got a very strong engine and transmission. The rest of the buggy seems very well built with decent parts from the time. He built it for light to medium duty off-roading I think. I believe the guy said he had it built about 5 years before dad got it so that would make it about 9 or 10 years old.

When I got it the buggy had basically been sitting in the garage for at least 2 years. Dad had got sick and just didn't feel like fooling with it. I picked it up a couple/three weeks ago when dad passed. My step momma couldn't find the keys and the optima battery was beyond dead. We pushed it on the trailer and then pushed it into my shop at home.

Last week I replaced the key switch and hooked another battery to the Optima along with a charger to charge it. It was so low the charger wouldn't even recognize a battery was attached so I tricked it with another battery. I charged it and then discharged it several cycles over the next week but it won't hold a charge at all.

I finally cranked it over and it fired right up. It runs nice and sounds great! When you crank it with the clutch released it will surge forward just a bit. I figured it was just a little rust build up on the flywheel from sitting.

Overall it's a great buggy. I'm not real crazy about the huge rear fenders the guy built but I certainly understand the functionality of them. I honestly don't know what my plan is with it right now. Money is EXTREMELY tight at our house for the time being. That means for the most part is going to have to be little to no cost at least till spring.

It needs a brake master cylinder but I found a cheap one on Amazon and got that ordered. The buggy won't go into any gear but reverse at the moment. I posted a question in the transmission section and the consensus so far is to adjust the shifter for that. I build LED light bars and have tons of LED's lying around. So with that I'll probably build a light bar or three for lighting and then build custom LED's for turn signals, running and tail lights, and brake lights. But I already have 97% of the parts I need for that. I'd like to do some type of hood and I'm pretty sure I have everything I need for that.

The buggy's steering has about an 1/8 of a turn of slack in the steering box. It looks like a stock VW box is in the neighbor hood of $120. I was reading about guys doing a GM rack and pinion and a saturn electric power steering setup. I'm betting I can round up used parts for under $200 so that will probably be the first decent money spent on it. But again I'm pretty broke till spring unless something changes so that will be a summer project I'd say.

Overall I'm pretty excited about this buggy. I'm sure it's gonna be a lot of fun for the family and I don't think it's going to break the bank keeping it going. It needs a few things but nothing that's not doable. I certainly appreciate all the comments.

Greg

3 rib tranny

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:41 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

You can adjust the slack out of the steering box on top theirs a nut break it lose and use. A flathead to tighten it up

I DO NOT FREE BASE COCAINE

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:03 am 

jesse wrote:
You can adjust the slack out of the steering box on top theirs a nut break it lose and use. A flathead to tighten it up

Jesse,

Thanks for the info. I should have mentioned that I already done that. It was that way when dad first got the buggy. We tried to adjust it a then but I think it's already adjusted all it's gonna adjust. I'll live with it till spring then I should be able to afford to fix it.

Greg

3 rib tranny

Board index » General » Pictures and Videos