It is currently Mon Jun 03, 2024 7:08 pm

Board index » General » Pictures and Videos

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Race to D&K
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:34 pm 

I have decided that Im going to do everything I can to make it to D&K Memorial weekend. It took some planning to work out how to get things done in the order that money will be coming in to do things.
I will have money for paint on Friday so I have been trying to get the frame ready so I can paint it Sunday. I have been going around the frame touching up a few places that looked real bad and making sure everything was completely welded. I used a different color primer to let me know the areas that were done as I went along.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:36 pm 

I also got some more work done on the body. Ive been switching back and forth just to keep myself from going crazy working on the frame :eek:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:41 pm 

Managed to get the stock torsion bars out. I hadnt really ever compared them to the new ones. I knew there would be a difference but this was almost shocking :eek:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:33 pm 
BOTM Winner

What tires are you planning on having on it when you come up?

R

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:02 pm 
Hill Climber

I'm glad to hear you are coming to D&K. I wish I could help you finish the buggy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:12 pm 
WB Contributor

I will be there sometime Friday night is what I am planning. All I need to do is get my CB back in the rail and another antenna, since I keep breaking the pole. Guess I need to get a shorty so it won't get in the way. I have my WoodsBuggy sticker on the back of the roof. I think you can see it from behind me. Black rail with a 8y/o telling me to "go lets ride daddy". Hope to see you all there and finally meet you all.

The Wild Kids

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:42 pm 

[quote='Roy']What tires are you planning on having on it when you come up?[/quote]

Im probably gonna run the Goodyear Wrangler MT/Rs that I have. I know they arent exactly the right tire for the area but with the motor Im gonna be using for the trip I dont think it could handle much more tire

The only way I am going to be able to have it done in time is to borrow a 1600 from a friend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:49 pm 

Got the frame completely stripped out and flipped over so I could finish up on the frame. Did I mention that I really wish I had never started this whole grinding down the welds idea?! Im not even doing that good of a job smoothing them out anymore. Just trying to fix the bad spots.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:23 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Hey Flabaja,

Looking good!! Flip it back over and piss on grinding those welds on the bottom! Just GITRDUN! If you are in a position for anyone to see them, aint no body gonna be worried about how your welds look! :twisted:

Just kiddin'.YOU'll know what they look like and thats what really matters. I understand you have to please yourself to really be happy with it. I can spend hours sometimes on the silliest things just because I want something done a certain way. Like I was painfully careful when I was putting my green one together because it is the first rail I've had that didnt look like crap and I didnt want to nick the powdercoat. Then first ride, I put her on her lid!! Those rocks and roots didnt give a damn how pretty the frame was!! It would make the welds stronger to leave them alone, though.

Are you running a 3-rib with that 1600? If so I got a pair of 31 x 14.50 8-ply goodyears I could mount up on some 12" 4 lug wagon wheels. Be glad to bring them and let you use 'em for the weekend. I need to get them mounted anyways 'cause I'm gonna put them on my old two-seater and sell it. They aint great, but they'd do better than A/T's, especially if it rains at all. The main trail hills can be slick as a gut in no time at D&K ! You could pay me back by showing me around Ocala National this July! :wink:

Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:28 am 

Yes, Im running a 3 rib. The tires sound like a great idea except I need wide 5 pattern. Hmm, I wonder how hard it would be to switch out the tires with those 2 piece rims I have?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:30 am 

I got some body work done today on whats left of the body :eek:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:41 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

We got some really well cut 29's on some wide fives. That would give you super-granny first gear with the 29's. Its actually hard to climb with that gearing because you cant get wheel speed, but you aint gettin any anyways w/ a 1600. Let me know.

Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:01 am 
WB Contributor

hurry up and gitrdone, want to inspect it when I get there. Since you are going to all the trouble of making it pruddy, might as well look it over. See you there sometime on Friday.

The Wild Kids

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:23 pm 

Man, I thought our 9 hour drive was gonna be a long one!

Hope to see ya there!

-Blake

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:04 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

[quote='FlaBaja']Yes, Im running a 3 rib. The tires sound like a great idea except I need wide 5 pattern. Hmm, I wonder how hard it would be to switch out the tires with those 2 piece rims I have?[/quote]

I could bring the 31's unmounted and it would be easy if your rims are wide enough.

Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:35 pm 
BOTM Winner

Fla. Baja I would recommend taking someone up on the offer of a set of tires to borrow. You will have some trouble getting around with the tires you have now. Don't worry about not having enough power. With the gearing in the 3 rib, you will have plenty of power.

Roy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:09 pm 

Tires are a must at D and K.Four wheel disk brakes could come in handy if it rains.I've heard of some peaple having a hard time coming down to camp when its slick with only rear brakes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:21 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

There are plenty of trees to slow you down on the way out! Or the pond will stop you before you go thru the parkin lot~!:twisted:

Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:48 pm 
WB Contributor

I only have rear disk brakes and haven't had a problem. Not saying I won't have one sometime. Will be rolling in sometime on Friday Charcoal grey dodge truck with blue drive on trailer and black rail.

The Wild Kids

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:18 pm 

I forgot to measure the rims, but those are 12.50s mounted on there now so I would think 14.50s would fit. I will try to remember tonight when I go back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:37 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Just let me know if you want me to bring the 31 x 14.50's unmounted, or the 29 x12.50's mounted on wide 5 rims. Be sure to remind me in an email or pm about Wednesday before that weekend.

Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:44 pm 
BOTM Winner

I would say the 29's would be a great choice for the baja running around up there. Air em down and go for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:44 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

I agree. Giving him the option , though. 29's and a 3 rib suck for climbing, but the final gearing ought to be great to pull a little heavier rig around the trails.

Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:37 pm 

If you guys think the 29s would be the best choice then I say 29s it is. I dont know how much hill climbing I will be doing anyway with it most likely being the bajas 1st time out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:31 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

OK, thats what I'll bring. I'll hopefully be there no later than mid morning Friday.

Larry

Board index » General » Pictures and Videos