It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:19 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Suspension and Chassis

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:15 am 
BOTM Winner

just rebuilt my (foddrill) combo spindles after a year and a half of wellsville riding. the kingpins appear to be in excellent shape, the surface where the torrington bearings ride is pretty much intact. the link pins had grooves from the bronze bushings which kinda suprised me because there made of 300m materal. i thought that the bushings would have taken more of a beating. i grease them after every ride (zerk fittings) i've been told that under race conditions, the guys out west pull then apart clean and regrease after each race. while i'ed like to think that i ride hard, it's nowhere near the wear and tear of racing. although they have grease fittings, i'm going to pull them apart and regrease them every 5-6 rides to see if i can extend the time between r/b's.

**********"The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."
- Antonio Meloni

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:25 pm 
Master fabricator

Bill, I'm impressed on how they look. I wish I was standing there with a micrometer now. It goes back to 'You get what you pay for' and for around $800 just for a set of spindles, they better look like that. What do the bearings look like, all caked up or were they decent?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:25 am 
BOTM Winner

the bearings are pretty clean, no dirt no rust, considering there is no seal at the top and the bottom of the housing. just a washer and a snap ring. grease after every ride sure helps. like you said "you get what you pay for" (is that odyknuck listening in the back of the room?) 8)

**********"The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."
- Antonio Meloni

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:52 am 
BOTM Winner

Yea I'm listening! The difference is your only suporting one offroad hobby and I surport two so I have to divey up the cash between the two and I'm Married that should explain it all lol. Did I also mention I'm cheap. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:32 pm 
BOTM Winner

wwwwaaaaaaa!!!!!

- Antonio Meloni

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:35 pm 
BOTM Winner

Dammm Bill you were really UGLY as a Baby! :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:45 pm 
BOTM Winner

look i found one of you...."badabupbada i'm love'n it"

- Antonio Meloni

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:03 pm 
BOTM Winner

And my Mom told me she would never show that to anyone. Man its bad when you can't even trust your Mom. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:12 am 

Bill my Fod's have an o-ring between brg and washer and mine are 9yrs old and look great! They have the discoloring like yours but no wear I've mic'd them this spring when I did my tear down. Best money I ever spent! mudd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:52 am 
BOTM Winner

was the o-ring o.e.m or did you add them

- Antonio Meloni

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:08 am 

Well I'm not sure they were used when I got them and they were in there then. Are your brgs flush with top and bottom?Mine are not there pressed in about 1/16 -1/8(I should of measured it) just enough room for the oring to be squwished alittle. mudd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:38 pm 
BOTM Winner

mine also have about a 1/16 space. i was gonna put an o-ring there but suprisingly the bearings were dirt free.(and i didnt have the o-rings on hand) grease after each ride sure makes a difference.

- Antonio Meloni

Board index » Tech and Fab » Suspension and Chassis