It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 1:50 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Suspension and Chassis

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:54 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Looking for some advice... I currently have a KingPin front end with Disc Brakes and 4 lug wheels. In just a few months, I have completely blown out the bushings in the kingpins.

I am wondering what you would recommend... Should I rebuild the kingpin or go to combo spindles.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:00 pm 
Site Admin

Rebuilding the kingpins will be alot cheaper but the combo's are way stronger and cost alot more.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:44 am 
BOTM Winner

if you get combos, you will need to buy brakes, so it is expensive. But then again, if you get the right combos, you will never ned to worry about them again. I have broken 2 sets of combo spindles.... then i got the good ones! :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:21 am 
BOTM Winner

Big fat tires on the front with wide rims Kill stock parts. If you use stockish size steer tires the stock spindles they live longer lives. I run 7.00x15 with my tweeds spindles.

just do it! With the economy pumping mud as hard as it is, you need to spread the wealth! Tweeds spindles use ball joint backing plates and link pin hubs I am sure someone on the board her could hook you up with the brake parts. You need to spend as much as you can b4 someone else losses their job so why not longer arms rack and pinion steering with coil overs while your at it? Then their wouldnt be any further need for upgrades :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:41 am 
BOTM Winner

Food for thought. Even Combo spindels will ware. I have the Tweeds on my Buggy and they are really loose after a 1/2 dozen rides in the Woods. The ones I have even have Tweeds new steel alloy oil light bushings. So far the only combos I have seen that do not wear as quick are the Fodrils with roller bearings on the King pins. The real advantage with Combol spindels is the strength not bushing longivity.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:55 am 
BOTM Winner

I put a pair of tweeds spindles on my car about 4 years ago. The first problem I had was the bushings wearing. I replaced the bushings a few times, but even brand new bushings had slop in them. After a few years, two of us had our tweed spindles machined out to take needle bearings. That took care of the slop, but then the king pin would wear. Long story short, when I started racing, they only lasted 4 short course heats before they both broke. Then I ordered a set of Foddrill king kong spindles. I have raced a HARD 2 seasons on them with out a lick of trouble. Foddrill spindles are probibly a little over-kill for a woods buggy, especially with their price tag, but woods makes a great spindle with needle bearings for about half the price of the foddrills (i think they are around $600-650). Drews can get those. I would highly reccomend woods.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:28 pm 
Global moderator

NOt meaning to hijack but have you considered bus BJ.. Gotta say they are tough,,but maybe a tad heavy. Mine are tight after several years of hard riding. And cheap too. Maybe not quite as much travel but with extended arms fairly close. And wider than stock beetle too.,,,Just a thought :|

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:40 pm 
BOTM Winner

RaceBugg1098 wrote:
I put a pair of tweeds spindles on my car about 4 years ago. The first problem I had was the bushings wearing. I replaced the bushings a few times, but even brand new bushings had slop in them. After a few years, two of us had our tweed spindles machined out to take needle bearings. That took care of the slop, but then the king pin would wear. Long story short, when I started racing, they only lasted 4 short course heats before they both broke. Then I ordered a set of Foddrill king kong spindles. I have raced a HARD 2 seasons on them with out a lick of trouble. Foddrill spindles are probibly a little over-kill for a woods buggy, especially with their price tag, but woods makes a great spindle with needle bearings for about half the price of the foddrills (i think they are around $600-650). Drews can get those. I would highly reccomend woods.

Unfortunatly Tweeds uses DOM for there spindels including the King pin. I was going to do the needle bearing route untill I found that out. I did not know Woods was still making Spindels.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:28 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Nothing is easy.... I thought I would keep things inexpensive and just rebuild my current link pin front end. I took the front end apart. pushed out the kingpin bushings from the carrier and inserted the new bushing. No problem.. things were going great. Then I tried to ream the new bushings only to find out that my carrier is bent about a 1/8 of an inch. Since the carrier is bent, I am going to assume the spindle is bent too.

At this point, I really want to go combo spindles but I just cannot justify the cost.

I think I am going to try another set of forged off road carriers and spindles. If I bend them next year, I will go ahead and upgraded to combo spindles next year.

Thanks for all of the advice above.
Dan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:36 pm 
BOTM Winner

Put the brace on the carriers and the steering arm then go with narrower steer tires that should be all you can do with stock parts. an cheap too.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:45 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

let me sell ya a set of Woods king kong combo with a set of cromoly 4 over arms WWoods

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:50 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Thanks Rock Rocket... But I would still need brakes and combo disc brakes run $700 or so. Then I will need to buy new wheeels or add some wheel adapters. Who knows... maybe next year I will rebuild the front end to use coil shocks and get rid of the torsion bars...

For now, I only need to spend $150 bucks to replace my spindles and carriers and I am all set...

Thanks again
Dan

Board index » Tech and Fab » Suspension and Chassis