It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:43 am

Board index » Tech and Fab » Suspension and Chassis

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mad Mike Spindles
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:44 pm 
Site Admin

Mike came over the house today and set up my front end for me. These spindles and arms are made by Mike. This set up is a KING PIN beam widened for a BALLJOINT front end mount. The arms are 2 1/2" longer by 1" wider. The combo spindles are are 3" drop with big pins. They have the mounting bracket for calipers already welded in place and the steering arm is reinforced on both sides These things ARE serious. I believe Mike can make these for balljoint or kingpin front ends. If you want a set of combos and arms contact Mad Mike and he can explain whats involved in the transformation. You will NOT be disappointed! Once again I would like to thank Mike for the awesome job he did on this setup.
Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 4:41 am 
BOTM Winner

Man that is some nice stuff! What front brake hubs are you going to run with that?

Roy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 8:10 am 
BOTM Winner

does mike use bronze bushings or needle bearings in the combos

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 3:13 pm 
Site Admin

[quote='Roy']Man that is some nice stuff! What front brake hubs are you going to run with that?

Roy[/quote]
Mike had machined my BJ rotohub style hubs to accept the KP bearings and seals

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 3:14 pm 
Site Admin

[quote='plumberbill']does mike use bronze bushings or needle bearings in the combos[/quote]
He uses the bronz oil impregnated bushings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 9:51 am 

how much? they're nice!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 10:13 am 
BOTM Winner

[quote='DVS1'][quote='plumberbill']does mike use bronze bushings or needle bearings in the combos[/quote]
He uses the bronz oil impregnated bushings.[/quote]

When Mike and I were discussing the design and build process a while ago, we talked about bushing vs. needle bearing design. He said that in order to use the needle bearing in the king pin area, you would have to use a hardened shaft for the king pin. This needle bearing design is used by some of t

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 1:18 pm 
BOTM Winner

well i can cetainly understand keeping the price down. my experience with the bronze bushings became costly. it only took a couple of rides to hammer them. i've been told that the dropped spindle didnt help matters, increasing the load on the bushings. (something like that) dont know if it matters that my car is heavier than most up front. (battery,power steering rack, ect...) i run the foddrell k.k. combos with the needle bearings, (standand not dropped)...........pricy?...... absolutly. but it sure beats tearing them apart every 4-5 rides. was the material cost outragously more? i've got 1 season (going on 2) with no problems, that to me is worth the extra bucks.
otherwise they look outstanding!
just a plumbers 2 cents

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 11:00 pm 
Master fabricator

I would like to thank my newly appointed sales staff, Roy and DVS1 for answering some questions for me. :lol: I'm putting in a close ratio trans Roy built for me, so I'm in the middle of a wrenchfest.

If anyone wants more info, send me an E-Mail and I will answer any questions you may have. I won't go into any further datail in this forum.

I use Super Oillite SAE 863 for the uppers and High Strength Alloy 954 for the lowers. When the fit up is correct they should last a good long while. They are a good, sound compromise. If you had problems with them, I'll bet the fit between the king pin and the bushing were way off. Or they were using junk bushings or both. The stock king pin bushings are bronze and they last for years, that's because they fit right.
I can build them with roller bearings, no big deal except the cost. Heat treating and grinding time would put them out of reach for most. The cost of the bushing is half compaired to roller bearings. When the bushing wears out that's all that wears, not the king pin. When it comes time to replace the roller bearings the king pin will be worn, maybe not bad enough to need replaced, not this time but it will.
Another issue is maintenance, or the lack there of. Unless they have a real good way to seal the roller bearings and your not taking them apart and cleaning them real often and greasing them, they will fail. When the bearing fails and you don't notice and fix it right away, kiss the king pin good by.

Thanx to everyone for looking and taking an intrest
Roy, DVS1 the check is in the mail :razz:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 7:34 pm 

I posted these pics elsewhere, just too cool not too. Again, VERY nice Mike.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 9:20 pm 
Master fabricator

Thanks Chris

Board index » Tech and Fab » Suspension and Chassis