It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:34 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Suspension and Chassis

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: rear axels
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:04 am 
BOTM Winner

i pulled my passanger side axel and cv's. both ends of the axel are mushroomed down to the c-clip. the seal in the trans cv cup is blown out and leaking. seal replacement is no problem. it appears the axel is 1/4" to long (when suspension is fully compressed) what is the best way to correct the problem. should i install the axel without the clips so that it "floats"? no problems on the driver side.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:32 am 

i had the same problem with my 930 axles and if i am wrong someone please tell me cause i maybe wrong but i was told to not run clips and cut 1/4'' of one end,i guess it depends if u are running extended trailing arms allso.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 12:28 pm 
BOTM Winner

If your problem is only on one side, your transaxle may need to be shifted to the driver side a little. You may want to measure it to see if it is centered.

Roy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 1:23 pm 

I had 3/16" spacer's machined for mine to place between the CV and stub or flange. I run clips, took care of my problem, been running them for 5 years now and I'm not easy on it at all.

My 2 pennies,
Blake

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 1:54 pm 
BOTM Winner

Blake would that not make the problem worce with the axels plumberbill is using. His is allready to long on one side. the spacers would require an even shorter axel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 2:31 pm 
BOTM Winner

i'm running 3x3 trailing arms,930 cv's and axels. moving the tranny is out of the question, it would require to much modification.
buggyrider28 after cutting a 1/4" and not running clips have you had any problems? this was suggested to me, i wanted to get some feedback before i cut the axel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 4:58 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Mine were punching the seals on both sides. I cut 1/4" off one end of each axle and and no clips. Actually cut right the c-clip groove. It quit tearing up flange seals, but having no top clips let the axles slide down and they rubbed on center of the stubs. Made a weird noise. I thought something was binding in the tranny or something. Put top clips only back on, havent had any problems at all since. Got about four rides on them since doing that.

I run 930's and 2x3's, though. I was told you didnt need to cut the axles with 930's and 3x3's. Roy is probably right with yours only rubbing on one side, sound like you got something else going on. When I had type two's I kept bustin' one side. Measured from my tranny flanges to my stub axles, and transmission was 1/2" closer to the drivers side. Also discovered I had bent a trailing arm a little. Not sure which correction fixed it. Probably had a compound problem going on.

Have you been running that setup for a while, and it just started rubbing? Could you have tweaked a trailing arm a little?

Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 6:17 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

[quote='plumberbill']i'm running 3x3 trailing arms,930 cv's and axels. moving the tranny is out of the question, it would require to much modification.
buggyrider28 after cutting a 1/4" and not running clips have you had any problems? this was suggested to me, i wanted to get some feedback before i cut the axel.[/quote]

You never said what your axle length was.

With 3x3s and T-4 CV's I have 19-1/4" axles.
With your 930 CVs being about 1/4" each wider than m

Turbo VW Sand Racer
Polaris Ranger

"If you don't run into the Devil every once in awhile, you must be going in the same direction!"

Davis Motorsports FaceBook Page

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 7:38 pm 
BOTM Winner

i'm using 191/4 axels. there is the possiblity that the trailing arm is bent because the stub axel cup is closer to the arm than on the driver side. i dont want to spend the money on a shorter axel if i dont have to. so cutting one side and leaving the clip on the trans side appears to be the fix.
anybody care to second that motion?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:43 pm 

You can always check to make shure your trailing arm is all the way forward before you tighten it to the spring plate.This will increase your length between your stub axel and trans.Sometimes you can use a come-a-long to hold it while you tighten it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 7:49 am 
BOTM Winner

thought about that but the spring plate is not slotted for movement. i have also added two extra bolts for strength

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 8:35 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Cutting the axle and running a top clip might do it, but I would check that your tranny is centered, like Roy said. If you just cut the one axle, you'd kinda be fixin' the symptom and not the problem. I'm thinking 19 1/4 axle is what you are supposed to run with 3x3's without needing to cut them. I guess if it works and keeps you riding for awhile without a major teardown, though, then WTF. It would be tough to center the tranny if you suspect a bent trailing arm, anyways. I guess you could carefully measure each arm from pivot point to somewhere out by the stub axle and compare. The shorter one will be the bent one. Best way I know of is put them back in their jigs. But you know thats a major P.I.T.A. ( I hate to even tear 'em down far enough to reset torsion bars!)

Do you have the stock rear forks on your torsion? Those things bend around pretty easily, even if you have dropped some braces going to them.

Good luck,Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 9:04 am 
BOTM Winner

Bill it sounds like your quick fix options are either cut the axel and run a top clip only or slot the spring plate. Personally i would cut the axel. You will have to do it anyway to get it out because its mushroomed on the ends

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 11:58 am 
BOTM Winner

gonna have to wait until next winter to do the proper fix or until it becomes a major problem. gonna cut the axel and call it a day. i dont know about everyone else but i'm tired of wrenchin, unless i have to
I WANT TO RIDE :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 5:30 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Just talked to Tim from Souther-buggies. He said a lot of guys he's sold 19 1/4 axles to with 3x3's have had to cut their axles down a bit. He recommends cutting them right thru the c-clip groove, on one end only and bevel the end a little bit where you cut it. No one he knows of has had problems with them pulling out or anything.
So... CUT AWAY and ride on!

You were going to anyways, just now maybe you can be a little more confident in knowing you aint hurtin a $100 + axle! :wink:

Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 8:51 pm 
BOTM Winner

[quote='kybuggy1']Just talked to Tim from Souther-buggies. He said a lot of guys he's sold 19 1/4 axles to with 3x3's have had to cut their axles down a bit. He recommends cutting them right thru the c-clip groove, on one end only and bevel the end a little bit where you cut it. No one he knows of has had problems with them pulling out or anything.
So... CUT AWAY and ride on!

You were going to anyways, just now maybe you can be a little more confident in knowing you aint hurtin a $100 + axl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 12:51 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

I'm laughin' too because I figured you'd already cut it before I posted!! You'd already made your mind up!! :D Sometimes you just gotta gitrdun.

You dont have to brag about going to Wellsville this weekend, though!! :twisted: :lol:
I'm jealous as hell about that! Have a blast!

Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 1:26 pm 
BOTM Winner

Larry we will be thinking about you when we are at Wellsville. I will even chisten a hill in your name for a day. lol
Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 5:24 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Thats a nice thought, but... from the pics I seen of that place, you'd better be thinkin' about how you're gonna hit that next climb!! :twisted:

I think Roy has bailed on going there the last week of June. I'd still love to go, as long as I got the $$. You guys gonna be around there then? Need a guide, I can get lost in my backyard!! :lol:
Hell, it took me two years, about 6 or 7 rides, before I felt like I knew how to get places at D&K! :oops: Still gotta think about it, seems like it changes a ton between rides.

Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 8:55 pm 
BOTM Winner

I have not completely bailed on the Wellsville trip in June. I actually think I am going to make it now.

Roy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 8:27 am 
BOTM Winner

[quote='kybuggy1']Thats a nice thought, but... from the pics I seen of that place, you'd better be thinkin' about how you're gonna hit that next climb!! :twisted:

I think Roy has bailed on going there the last week of June. I'd still love to go, as long as I got the $$. You guys gonna be around there then? Need a guide, I can get lost in my backyard!! :lol:
Hell, it took me two years, about 6 or 7 rides, before I felt like I knew how to get places at D&K! :oops: Still gotta think abou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 9:36 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Thanks Bill! We'll have to exchange #'s before then! If my junk Nextel will even work around there!

Roy, thats great news! Hope I dont get any unexpected surprises between now and end of June that hit me in the wallet! Gotta get my wife's 4seater done , too! Had it dack from powdercoat since Easter and havent touched it! :oops: It sucks to have to work for a livin'! :evil:

Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 2:43 pm 
BOTM Winner

Yeah Bill, I grew up in Pittsburgh. I have been gone from there for a long time but that's my home.

Roy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 9:30 pm 
BOTM Winner

you guys keep in touch when june rolls around. me and odyknuck will ride with ya. just hope ya can keep up :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 11:34 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

:lol: I hear ya....I'll think we'll manage! :lol:
I wouldn't let ya out of sight anyways, 'cause I wouldnt know how to get back to camp! :twisted:

Larry

Board index » Tech and Fab » Suspension and Chassis