It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:52 am

Board index » Tech and Fab » Suspension and Chassis

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 5:56 pm 

I have read on other sites where guys with balljoint front ends why want link pins cut the frame head off and weld on a LP frame head.

Why not just use upper section of a BJ arm and graft it to the lower arm section of a LP arm?

This way you would only have to fab the front arms.

Sounds too simple or maybe I don't understand the difference in the two beams.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 6:49 pm 
BOTM Winner

This is a valid question and there is a simple answer. The King pin beam and the ball joint beams have different spacing between the cross tubes. The link pin carrier and knuckle assembly is designed with this spacing in mind so it works correctly as the arms move up and down through their arc. If you were to change the distance of the arms at the pivot point (where they slide into the beam) the whole geometry of the assembly would be off and there would be a DRASTIC caster change as the spindle moves through it's arc.
It would probably work but it would not work very well and the car would handle like crap.

This would be a good time to give Mad Mike the stage. He has spent the past 4 months designing and building custom parts for this conversion! I can't even begin to describe how much time and effort he has put into this. We spent many hours on the phone talking about it and many e-mails back and forth discussing this very topic.
He has came up with the perfect conversion that is race capable! They are beautiful pieces. I am sure there is a "cheap" way you could do this with some basic shop tools and some creativity but I don't know how. The arms would need to remain parallel to each other throughout their arc.

Mike could answer any of your questions better than I can. I hope he sees this thread.

Roy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 8:12 pm 
Master fabricator

Roy is correct. There is about 5/8" difference between the BJ housing and the KP housing cross tube centers. Doing what you suggest would be creating an uneaqual parallelagram, and as Roy stated both your steering and suspension geometry would so far off you couldn't drive it.

There is no good "cheap" way make the conversion. On a baja swapping the frame heads would be the best and cheapest way. On a rail, depending on weather or not you mind cutting and bending your chassis the swap is very do-able.

For thoes who want to convert and have problems with fabricating or cutting and welding on their powder coated chassis. I make a Ball Joint to Link/King Pin Conversion Kit. It is expensive and it requires a bunch of changes to make it work right.

If there were a cheap and easy way to do something, EVERYONE would be doing it.

Keep asking why, it's how great ideas get started

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 8:21 pm 

I figured it was way more complicated than it sounded but thank you guys for clearing my mind!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:50 pm 
Site Admin

Wv, check these out. This is Mike's setup. If you are sick of fixing front ends and want a bullit proof front end, this is the ticket.
http://woodsbuggy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487

Board index » Tech and Fab » Suspension and Chassis