It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:21 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Suspension and Chassis

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shock Travel/Mounting...
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:53 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

I have a set of KYB gas shocks, the longer travel ones, that i plan on mounting in the rear that i had on my old buggy. I have them marked right now at mid travel and plan on setting them up that way because I always heard that you were supposed to mount shocks so that they were int he middle of their travel, but my question is with a volkswagen torsion cranked up a couple noches should i maybe mount them so they have slightly more upward travel than downward travel? I was thinking that the torsion is going to want to travel up further than it is going to want to droop down, but i am not completely sure. Any info is welcome, i would just like some second opinions before i fab up my shock mounts. Thanks in advance and sorry for the lengthiness of this, haha.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:27 pm 

Im not quite sure exactly what you are asking but here is the way I would set it up.

Connect the shock to the trailing arm. Jack the trailing arm up so that it is against the bump stops. With the shock fully compressed mark the spot where the upper mount is with the shock at a 90 degree angle to the trailing arm.

Now let the trailing arm drop as far as it will go ( or as far as the CVs will safely allow). With the shock fully extended mark the spot where the upper mount is in line with your previous mark. Hopefully your second mark is above your first mark.

Draw a line between the two marks and put your shock mount center between the two marks. This should center your travel on the shock.

One thing to remember: If your downward travel is dictated by your CVs you will need a limiting strap setting it up this way.

Hope that helps

Board index » Tech and Fab » Suspension and Chassis