It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:54 am

Board index » Tech and Fab » Suspension and Chassis

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:26 pm 

Hey guys,

I’ve been looking at different suspension options for my rail. Probably going to pull the trigger on both front and rear around summer time, and had a couple of questions for you.

I was considering the top-end rear kit from Dans Performance, but I don’t like the fact that the Arms are Chinese, and I’d rather have reservoir shocks if I was going the coil-over route. (That’s an artifact from my ATV racing hobby, maybe it’s not as important here?) In addition, I JUST put together some T2 Converted stub axles with 4 new Empi bus CVs. I need to take them back apart and race-prep them, but it seems silly to go straight to the 930s without even getting a dollar of my money out of these T2s. So instead, I came up with this:

What if I get some US-made 3x3 trailing arms, race prep the CVs and run limit straps and Fox pneumatic bump-stops. Then I could get pretty close to the edge of the 17-18° limit on the Bus joins (not sure if that’s race-prepped or not?) and with a 19.25” axle, if my calculations are right, that means if you could use all of the range of that CV, you would wind up with just under a foot of travel? Would the stock Torsion be able to deal with that sort of travel or would I crack the leafs (leaves?)? I know the extra leverage would be making the rate softer, but in a 1000lb rail, maybe that’s OK? Also, I’m not sure if some adjustable shocks might be able to increase dampening enough that it would work? Maybe running dual shocks on each side or something?

I like this idea because I could do it as a stepping-stone, run it for a while at around 12” of travel, and then move up to a full coil-over setup with 930 CVs like next year, or the year after.

Oh, if it helps the consideration, I have a fresh 5-rib 002 transmission, and I’m thinking really hard about switching to an Ecotec setup.

Thanks for your insight!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:08 pm 
BOTM winner/Master fabricator

talk to mad mike he has some bad ass arms . and look into using air bags on the back

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:39 pm 

I've had a set of those Chinese 3 by 3 box arms for 3 years now I think they were like 225 and I've had great luck with them

Posted using the WoodsBuggy Mobile App

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:41 am 
WB Contributor

3 YEARS LOL. HAS IT HELD UP TO SOME HARD LICKS INCLUDING FLIPS? I JUST DESPISE EMPI .SORRY LOL BALIFF! SUBDUE THAT MAN.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:32 am 

I think I'll pick up a set of Mad Mike's arms. They look like quality parts and are significantly less expensive than the 3x3s I was looking at at Pacific Customs. Does anyone know if the stock torsion bars can survive with about 12" of travel? Or would I need to buy other torsion bars? If I have to pay a bunch for new torsion bars, I probably should just go coil-overs to start with, but I'd rather go torsion and bus CVs, then a year or 2 later, go Coilovers and 930 CVs for some real travel.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:57 am 

Are 3x3s better than 2x3s for CV angle

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:14 pm 

Yes longer axles less angle. But gonna be wider too. Unless you go micro stub

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:09 pm 
BOTM Winner

your stock torsion bars will be fine. If you put a water cooled in it, then you might need to upgrade the bars. The stock ones with 3x3 arms work great and will give you an excelent ride

Board index » Tech and Fab » Suspension and Chassis