All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: foddrill vs combo
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:16 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

What is the diffrence between quality and strength

I DO NOT FREE BASE COCAINE

Post subject: Re: foddrill vs combo
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:44 am 

Buy madmikes combo spindles. You know they gotta be good .

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:18 am 
BOTM Winner

Foddrills are Combo spindels. Need both manufactures to compare.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:06 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Oh ok im really considering mikes they look good and tough probably the way I go

Posted using the WoodsBuggy Mobile App

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:58 pm 
Master fabricator

For clarification, when someone says combo spindle they are referring to the actual spindle stub. (the part the bearings ride on) The combo spindle has a 1 1/4" inner bearing diameter and a 1" outer bearing diameter. The king kong spindle has a 1 1/2" inner and a 1 1/4" outer bearing size. (if memory serves me correct)

The difference is this
Foddrill neutral combo spindle costs $927.00 a set

Foddrill 3" drop spindles, which are not available in the combo spindle, only the king kong spindle.
$1651.00 a set. And you need special hubs to go with them $$$$$$

Foddrill is the BEST in the business, they prove it every Baja 1000. They are very "proud" of their product and their prices reflect it. Since I can't afford to buy the best, I build my own.

Tweeds neutral combo spindle costs $465.00 a set
Tweeds 3" drop combo spindle costs $515.00 a set

Mine are $450.00 for the neutral combo
and
$500 for the 3" drop combo

What the difference is, I build everything like I'm putting it on MY car and I run what I build. And I'm not in Southern California, I know the world doesn't end where the sand or desert does.

When I get something worth taking a picture of and their are ready to be sold I will post a for sale add.

G
A

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:27 pm 

I have a brand new set of tweeds 3" drop combo spindles and pins forsake $450 may include shipping if not to far away

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:28 pm 

i would go with what mike builds/sells jesse... his work looks second to none 8)

Save a tree... eat a Beaver

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:19 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Only reason I asked is I found a set of foddrills for 550 in great shape but I been leaning with mikes the work is nice and he builds his stuff to ride hard I will get with you at the end of the week im gonna want a pair of neutral

Posted using the WoodsBuggy Mobile App

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:23 pm 

keep in mind jesse, these spindle wont work with stock arms.. you gotta buy the arms to match and im not sure if these will work with a stock beam or not..

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:55 pm 
Master fabricator

reno2165 wrote:
keep in mind jesse, these spindle wont work with stock arms.. you gotta buy the arms to match and im not sure if these will work with a stock beam or not..

There's no reason I can think of why they wouldn't work with stock arms, although your arms WILL be the weak link then. Same with the stock beam, you won't have the ideal set up but it will work.

I told Jesse in one of our PM's that buying the spindles is just the beginning of what all needs to be bought to make them useable. You also need 4 Timken roller bearings for the king pins, 2 king pins, 4 link pins, 4 link pin bushings, 2 inner bearings and races, 2 outer bearings and races. (the bearings will fit into a stock link pin drum)

I think it's important to know all there is to know about what your getting into BEFORE you make a big $$ purchase.

I also make arms, I just don't have the material to make them with. And yes they are not cheap because of the material costs.
reno2165 wrote:
i would go with what mike builds/sells jesse... his work looks second to none 8)

buggybarn wrote:

Thanks guys :oops:

G
A

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:15 pm 

Yep hands down madmikes combos. If I remeber right hilaholic has mikes arms on his buggy. Everyone has see the rolls and endos and barrel endo combination into a shit storm then on the wheels. Id say if any part can handle being in that kind of constant state of abuse over and over again id say ...... proven

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:33 pm 
Master fabricator

MadMike wrote:
reno2165 wrote:

There's no reason I can think of why they wouldn't work with stock arms, although your arms WILL be the weak link then. Same with the stock beam, you won't have the ideal set up but it will work.

I told Jesse in one of our PM's that buying the spindles is just the beginning of what all needs to be bought to make them useable. You also need 4 Timken roller bearings for the king pins, 2 king pins, 4 link pins, 4 link pin bushings, 2 inner bearings and races, 2 outer bearings and races. (the bearings will fit into a stock link pin drum)

I think it's important to know all there is to know about what your getting into BEFORE you make a big $$ purchase.

I also make arms, I just don't have the material to make them with. And yes they are not cheap because of the material costs.
reno2165 wrote:

buggybarn wrote:

Thanks guys :oops:

I just thought of a reason why you can't use stock arms. The link pin lengths wont work out between the combo king pin and the stock arm. The aftermarket link pin will be too long, so Reno2165 you are right. Jesse, your going to need to find some arms.

G
A

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:45 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

oh i dont plan to use stock arms im doing it all and im rdy to spend the cash not a problem i do wanna keep my stock width beam i also run a saco rack and if brad runs your parts im sold lol so other than getting your spindles what arms would you suggest with this setup not going to run coil overs either thanks everyone for all the info as well

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:45 pm 

thanks for the explaination mike, i thought the link pins themselves where larger in diameter... i just assumed they wouldnt work together because you never see the spindles without the arms to match 8)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:39 pm 
BOTM winner/Master fabricator

buggybarn wrote:
Yep hands down madmikes combos. If I remeber right hilaholic has mikes arms on his buggy. Everyone has see the rolls and endos and barrel endo combination into a shit storm then on the wheels. Id say if any part can handle being in that kind of constant state of abuse over and over again id say ...... proven

I made hillaholics front end and he did bend the front beam once, we talked with mike and he sugested that we make the beam out of 3/8" dom I dont think hell ever bend that again, on the last roll he did bend one of the trailing arms but if it would have been the other manufatured front end he would have destroyed it. Thats why hillaholic is our crash test dummy; if itll hold up to him itl hold up to everyone else

Board index » Tech and Fab » Suspension and Chassis