It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:36 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Suspension and Chassis

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: bag question
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:53 pm 

I notice that there are some places you can buy the 3800# airbagit bags for about half the price but they list them as minus the top and bottom plates with only the rings for fabricators. As someone who hasn't dealt with them yet I'm asking you guys who have if this is desirable or not. Wondering if there's more missing here than just some round steel plates like I'm thinking?

Post subject: Re: bag question
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:14 pm 

I have purchased several 3800# bags from airbaggit. Their pricing is Great and they are happy to answer questions and provide info. If you find them cheaper, then I am not sure what you would be buying especially from your description. How often have you been happy with the cheapest product that you could find?
Good Luck
Kenric

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:34 pm 
Master fabricator

Orangecrusher wrote:
I notice that there are some places you can buy the 3800# airbagit bags for about half the price but they list them as minus the top and bottom plates with only the rings for fabricators. As someone who hasn't dealt with them yet I'm asking you guys who have if this is desirable or not. Wondering if there's more missing here than just some round steel plates like I'm thinking?

I mean no offense as I say this. BUT, if you need to ask this question, you haven't done enough research yet. I have done several air ride systems and helped countless guys build their own. If there were a easier way to do it I would have found it and publicized it. IF you read airbagit.com you would have found the buy 2 get two free campaign. Can't get much cheaper than that. Get 4 bags for the price of 2, sell two of them and cut your cost in half.

G
A

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 6:52 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

I am a huge fan of going with the known solution. Lots and Lots of people have gone with AirBagIt.com and been extremely pleased. Even without the buy 2 get 2 free, I would be more comfortable going with AirBagIt.com for the quality and support.

Good luck with you conversion.. Make sure to post some pics..

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:13 am 

I appreciate the responses but I don't think you understand. These are the same airbags as from airbagit, just says those plates are not included. I figured someone who's bought the whole deal or maybe even these 'fabricator only kits' would know what I'm talking about and tell if there's anything special about the end plates that makes them necessary and save me the hassle of buying the wrong thing. I don't see how it could matter. Common sense tells me the 'rings' they speak of are what bolt the bag down at each end and a flat plate can easily be made to mount them too.
By the way I have read everything you people have on airbags on this site as well as the Samba. I see lots of pictures which is great and I very well understand that every buggy is different in the way that they will fit. But I have yet to find anyone actually show what comes with the airbag itself and whether or not the factory plates were utilized or more likely, new stronger plates were fabbed. I have put Air Lift springs in my motorhome but those are of a different design from the twin bellow air bag.
I thought it was a very simple question to ask.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:24 am 

Oh btw this is being sold by Airbagit themselves and a distributor as well.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:31 am 

NM found instructions on their website. should have done that earlier. :roll:\

who knows I would have found so much info on their own website. Now I just feel silly.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:21 am 
BOTM Winner

Hmmm! All else fails, read the Instructions! :wink: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:04 am 

Nah those didn't tell me much either. I'm gonna get these bags and see what happens...
AMAZON

I'm a glutton for punishment. 8)

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 4:58 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Location: rittman,ohio ----------- wellsville, water cooled chapter
i also ran the 3800 on my old car they were amazing . big thing is to set them up correct or they will ride like crap ! example , if the bag aired up is 15 inches tall and 5 inches compressed , set your car at ride height you prefer and then measure your droop and say it is 2 inches i would mount the bag so there is 12 1/2 inches from mount to mount . the bigger the bag the less pressure you have to run in them which creates a better ride . i have seen guys run smaller bags and complain because they ride like crap !

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:15 pm 

giveitagallon wrote:
i also ran the 3800 on my old car they were amazing . big thing is to set them up correct or they will ride like crap ! example , if the bag aired up is 15 inches tall and 5 inches compressed , set your car at ride height you prefer and then measure your droop and say it is 2 inches i would mount the bag so there is 12 1/2 inches from mount to mount . the bigger the bag the less pressure you have to run in them which creates a better ride . i have seen guys run smaller bags and complain because they ride like crap !

This is some very useful advice!!!! I airbagged mine going strictly by threads on this site and a few individuals on here who were helpful enough to actually text me pics of their setup (which helped tremendously). Made the mistake of trying to get by a little cheaper and ended up buying set of the 2600lb bags if I recall correctly and I have to put about 50-60lb in them to get ride height I want. But, other contributing factor is that I'm sure I could correct a lot of this by re-modifying the height of the mounts I made so that I could run less psi and achieve ride height I want. Or may just pull these out and go with set of the 3800lb bags since they are a few inches taller when aired up. My hats off to anyone doing this their first time and gets it right THE FIRST TRY. Unless they had someone there to correct mistakes before they happen

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 6:19 pm 
Master fabricator

Good luck :roll:

G
A

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 9:59 pm 

perhaps a mount that allows a spacer to be made to adjust would help. Like a delrin disc of a certain thickness could be inserted to shorten your mounts?

I have a friend I told a bout what I plan to do and he offered a set he had on a truck of his but they were smaller. I didn't want to turn him down but I'm only gonna use the 3800 I have ordered. maybe I can find a way to use his on the front some day.

I'm actually more worried about boxing in my trailing arms because I just got done going through the bearings and installing new seals which will most likely be toast now that I've decided to go this route. I swear nothing I do is truely done until I redo it several times over.

Board index » Tech and Fab » Suspension and Chassis