It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:05 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Suspension and Chassis

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: stuck torsion bar
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:15 am 

Finally got my springplate dilemma fingered out, all I had to do is switch them back around one more time. The drivers side goes in no problem and I get it bolted up to the T-arm. I start the passenger torsion bar in and it stops an inch out like it hit a cement wall. I take it out several times and retry all to no avail. I unbolt the drivers side and try that bar and it stops in the same exact spot. I can't see any obvious problems with the splines anywhere. I run some towels and grease through trying to maybe clean out some unseen grit buildup. I assume there's a burr stopping the bar. I get an idea to knock a bar all the way through from the driver's side to try to remove the burr. I should have stopped short of 'all the way''. The springplate end has a larger spline and won't fit through the spline in the torsion tube. So I reverse the bar back through hitting it through the passenger side with a piece of solid SS round bar. It's engaged in the splines but it won't move. In a matter of a full hour of smacking it(and myself) with a 12lb sledge and heating up the tubing with a rosebud I get about 1/2" of movement back. I could spend an 8 hour day smacking this thing and it might still not be close to making it out.

Now my options are:
Cut torsion bar where it's sticking out and knock it out towards the passenger side hopefully saving the splines in the housing and hopefully being able to knock it to the passenger side easier than the drivers side. Downside have to replace bar and it might still be stuck in the end.

Or I could do surgery and cut out the splined section of the torsion tube with the bar inside and then split that splined section so I may remove the bar intact. Then hopefully the weld a new splined section back most likely in the form of a torsion adjuster which is an upgrade but nothing I was planning on doing. Downside, the torsion tube could move when I cut out the middle since it's been welded and heated up so many times making welding in a new splined section a PITA.

If anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears. Last night I was about to haul the whole thing down to the curb and set it on fire. :evil:

Post subject: Re: stuck torsion bar
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:00 am 

You've got mess. If you wanna cut the center section out I would suggest welding some temporary bars/plates so it wouldn't move while you cut it out.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:07 am 

yeah that's what I had envisioned too. Dang thing has been nothing but a mess from the start. Good thing I'm stubborn.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:49 am 
WB Contributor

airbagit.com item 3800 I think

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:41 am 

^I was waiting to see if someone would suggest that. lol That was something I wanted to do in the future. Guess I could just cut my losses, torch the end of that t-bar that's sticking out, fab end plates with a post for a heim and bag it. Prolly be nicer with the 300lb engine back there too.... :wink:

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:43 am 

It's just one thing after another. If this thing is just gonna be perpetually under construction I might as well think about building it it's own garage. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:19 pm 

I would bag it and call it a day also

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:57 pm 

Ok. time to research baggin

thanks

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 2:31 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

MadMike on here builds a Damn fine set up for air bags. If I were going this route I would go with Mikes set up for sure Ask him he is a wealth of knowledge

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 4:53 pm 
Master fabricator

Thanks Rock your too kind. Unfortunately I can't even make a mess for the foreseeable future. Three weeks of this and then some surgery and another 6 to 8 weeks of rehab. I will be able to help wherever I can and Installing air bags is really quite easy.

G
A

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:36 pm 
BOTM Winner

i get stuck spring eye bolts out by welding bolt to the stuck one head to head and the pipe spacers /washer with the impact and pull em out that way
just a thought?

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:01 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Mike what have you done :?:

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:15 pm 
Master fabricator

Car accident last November. I got hit head on and had to be extricated from my car, ambulance ride, airbags going off, pretty messed up situation. It's been a long drawn out process, looks like they are finally getting serious about fixing me (my hand anyway).

G
A

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:35 pm 

givin the condition of your hand, how in the hell did you manage to cut that bogger in the backround???!?! :shock: And from what I've seen just on this website alone, you do some phenomenal fabricating! My hats off to ya!! 8) Back to the subject of stuck torsion bar... I had somewhat similar problem with mine last year. Broke torsion bar on a ride and it broke just shy of the inner splines. Tried and tried and even tried some more to get it out and never succeeded... Ended up airbagging mine, WELLLLLLl worth the investment to say the least. But not sure if I'd go thru the trouble airbagging a swingaxle. But sometimes you gotta do what you can with what you've got!

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 11:17 pm 
Master fabricator

snail rail wrote:
givin the condition of your hand, how in the hell did you manage to cut that bogger in the backround???!?!

Very carefully, 8) I had it cut right before I got hit. You'll notice the one beside it isn't cut.

And from what I've seen just on this website alone, you do some phenomenal fabricating! My hats off to ya!! 8)

Thank You

G
A

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:11 am 

kendel wrote:
i get stuck spring eye bolts out by welding bolt to the stuck one head to head and the pipe spacers /washer with the impact and pull em out that way
just a thought?

I'm curious what you mean by spring eye bolts?

This isn't a bolt. It's the torsion bar. Imagine installing just the torsion bar into the housing and then snacking it so that it goes to the other side of the center splined section and is stuck there in the middle. That's what I've done. It's gonna kill me but I'm afraid I'll have to cut the bar in half in order to move on.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:20 am 

Thanks for all the suggestions and Mike I hope that heals up quick.

I've done some research and bags seem pretty straight forward. Buy 3800# bags and torsion eliminators. Find a spot as far out on the arm as they'll fit.

Just wondering, you guys who have bags, where did you get your torsion eliminators and are you happy with them. I'm tempted to make my own, but with the way things are going plus I suddenly decided to go to Sturgis this year and will be busy fabbing a trailer, I should prolly go the bolt on way and save myself the hassle. I've only seen the set Appletree sells for $155. The price seems about right but I figured I'd ask unless someone has some or makes a good set. They will be the last thing I buy for awhile as it will help me get my wheels back on so I can push this thing to the side until I'm done with that trailer build.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:15 am 

Building a trailer to haul a golf cart?

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:52 am 

I've got a good center piece of the torsion you need. I'd give it to ya if you was closer. Already cut out

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:01 am 

torsion eliminators are required necessarily but definitely recommended. I've yet to put a set on mine yet but it's eventually coming

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:10 am 

Bubbalowe wrote:
Building a trailer to haul a golf cart?

No for our bikes. My buddy is pulling his fifthwheel that we are staying in and also a trailer with the bikes. When we get to the mountains we'll have to ride one of the bikes to give his truck a break. Funny thing is I just built one last year to pull behind my motorhome and he just bought and fixed one up but they're both single place trailers. I ordered a 3500# drop-axle, dexter hubs, and hardware yesterday, and now somehow I need to design the lightest trailer I can that will support two 800# bikes across the country. I'm good at over beefing but keeping it light AND strong is something new to me lol. At this point all I know is I'm starting with 2"X3" for the tongue - for a smaller trailer you can't beet a 2"X3" toungue. I'm thinking just a flat surface for the trailer made of expanded metal, no railings and whatnot. Just a couple condor style motorcycle chocks from HF and some tie down anchors. 6' long by 10' or maybe 8' with some removable little ramps.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:13 am 

snail rail wrote:
torsion eliminators are required necessarily but definitely recommended. I've yet to put a set on mine yet but it's eventually coming

Well If I go bags I gotta get some but I see some differences in them all. I noticed some instead of having the flat plate arm attachment they have a bend in them. I wonder if this is a modification due to where their heim joint sits or if it's for particular set of arms? They don't ever have good descriptions of course.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 2:59 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

have you thought about using a porta power to push it out from the opposite side, would have to use some heavy chain to the frame to hold the ram and probably a big piece of round bar stock to reach the center but this would probably be what I would try

Chris

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 3:09 pm 

NRIBuggies has a new center section he's willing to ship to me, thankfully. I think I will be surgically removing that center section(once I get it and see how wide it is) in an attempt to recover the torsion bar in one piece and spare myself any further pain. The wife is getting real nervous about my thinning wallet. :|

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:52 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

If you running a W/C engine you won't be happy with torsion bars too much weight Go air bags and be done .I think it was Roy that says do it right the first time ,,,cry once

Board index » Tech and Fab » Suspension and Chassis