It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:28 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Suspension and Chassis

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:13 pm 

As the title says…

I was goofing around… looking at my freshly painted/naked frame and “bounced” on the rear of the buggy and I noticed that the left rear didn’t have near as much “spring/torsion” resistance as the left… I hope this is a minor problem…

Any pointers?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:21 pm 

pretty common.. the driver side usually goes soft before the passenger side because there is always someone in the driver seat :mrgreen: just have to adjust the torsion on that side. if youve never done it, it can be a mother and you may have to do it several times before you get it rite.. its ok if you set the driver side a lil stiffer, after you ride it a while it will settle in even

Save a tree... eat a Beaver

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:24 pm 

Ah... that makes sense.... how do I go about adjusting this sucker??

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:27 pm 

how far are you from bham again?? its tough to explain and it'll have you swearing off VWs if you have never done/seen it done before... be easier for me to teach you how to do it

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:32 pm 
WB Contributor

find some type 3 bars. You'll love 'em.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:34 pm 

2800passat wrote:
find some type 3 bars. You'll love 'em.

i just happen to have a set :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:13 pm 

Geez.... This doesn't sound all that fun. I'm in Arab, not too far from ya. It sounds like its something you have to hold your mouth just right for while benching 300 pounds...

The left needs A LOT of adjustment then.... it seems to me that something could break in the process of doing this if something is wore out. that possible?

How much for the other set??? Difficulty to install??

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:39 pm 

its really not that difficult.. the worst part is getting it apart and getting it back together.. the tricky part is the actual adjustment. the torsion bar is splined on either end and the two ends are splined different. if you dont know which way your going with it and pay attention to how the splines ( inners and outters) are aligned, you will have it all out of wack :evil: ive done it several times and got it down pretty good

i dont mind showing you how to do it.. i cant this weekend cuz my mom is coming in town from florida but any time after that, week day or weekend ill ride up and we'll knock it out 8) lemme know

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:47 pm 

reno2165 wrote:
its really not that difficult.. the worst part is getting it apart and getting it back together.. the tricky part is the actual adjustment. the torsion bar is splined on either end and the two ends are splined different. if you dont know which way your going with it and pay attention to how the splines ( inners and outters) are aligned, you will have it all out of wack :evil: ive done it several times and got it down pretty good

i dont mind showing you how to do it.. i cant this weekend cuz my mom is coming in town from florida but any time after that, week day or weekend ill ride up and we'll knock it out 8) lemme know

Wow... Don't even know what to say! I'd GREATLY appreciate it. I'm out of town with work anyway. I'll let you know when I'm back. One of the reasons I picked this thing up is to learn... and that I am doing for sure!!

Board index » Tech and Fab » Suspension and Chassis