It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:22 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Suspension and Chassis

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:09 pm 

Can the stock Type 1 suspension go beyond angle of the type 1 cv joings? My spring plates are not noticed and at full droop I have 15* of camber measured by a cheap cell phone app. I don’t know how accurate it is, but I assume it’s very close. My whole IRS rear is stock. I just purchased this 4-seater for a project and I’m going to put a 3rib bus trans in it. My concern is I believe the 3 rib sits higher in the frame which will increase my angle more at full droop. I plan on running a bus CV joint at the transmission and a bug CV joint at the arm. Am I going to have issues? It’s my impression that with a stock rear suspension I shouldn’t be able to over extend the CVs. So either my angle isn’t right or something has been modified.

Here is a pic at full droop
http://i517.photobucket.com/albums/u337 ... C01111.jpg

http://i517.photobucket.com/albums/u337 ... C01112.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:27 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

You should be just fine.run stock axles with bus inner car outer on stock arms should be no problem.I ran it like that for years. Chad :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:47 pm 

gasman wrote:
You should be just fine.run stock axles with bus inner car outer on stock arms should be no problem.I ran it like that for years. Chad :mrgreen:

Cool. but way is my angle so much? Bus trans is going to increase my angle more. Just seems odd as everything is stock right now other than the torsion housing being welded to a buggy frame and that seems welded level with the frame.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:52 pm 
WB Contributor

Whats the angle / camber/ Toe on your tires like? Top lean IN or OUT ? you can play with that a little to decrease angle on cv's But you end up with your tires not sitting straight If ya get what im saying

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:15 pm 

I don't think there is any camber adjustment on the rear? They are strait unloaded, slight neg camber when on the ground. I really need to look at a stock bug and see what it looks like with wheels lifted off ground.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:25 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Well car cv's max at 12* bus at 17* type 4's at 22*. so try it and if you bust an outer either change or drill out stubs for type 2's or put limit straps on it or put type 4's on it.but a stock housing running stock arms setting on the stops with a bus trans and and stock car axles will work :wink: . Chad :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:38 pm 
WB Contributor

Beef up those trailing arms b4 they bend!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:46 pm 
WB Contributor

Chris07 wrote:
Can the stock Type 1 suspension go beyond angle of the type 1 cv joings? My spring plates are not noticed and at full droop I have 15* of camber measured by a cheap cell phone app. I don’t know how accurate it is, but I assume it’s very close. My whole IRS rear is stock. I just purchased this 4-seater for a project and I’m going to put a 3rib bus trans in it. My concern is I believe the 3 rib sits higher in the frame which will increase my angle more at full droop. I plan on running a bus CV joint at the transmission and a bug CV joint at the arm. Am I going to have issues? It’s my impression that with a stock rear suspension I shouldn’t be able to over extend the CVs. So either my angle isn’t right or something has been modified.

Here is a pic at full droop
http://i517.photobucket.com/albums/u337 ... C01111.jpg

http://i517.photobucket.com/albums/u337 ... C01112.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:00 pm 

2800passat wrote:
Beef up those trailing arms b4 they bend!

I'm not doing any hardcore off-roading so I'll run with stocker til its a problem. Just some trail riding. I just got the buggy and still needs a lot of work.

Board index » Tech and Fab » Suspension and Chassis