It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:55 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Suspension and Chassis

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:43 am 

I know some guys are running 9" quick change couple to a powerglide and other methods. I'm curious to know if you could take a IRS from a Cobra or Explorer and possibly build some longer A arms and find some longer axles with better angle cv's. I've never looked at the stock units but they may be able to get some travel if they weren't limited by all the factory crap. I'd like to measure one up and see how wide they are. Basically you'd have a strong diff, great disc brakes with e-brake, good bearings, etc. I'm thinking a front engine connected to a 4 speed manual. Very much like a "truggy" but with the a more traditional buggy look. Easy to find parts and no weak transaxles.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:40 am 
WB Contributor

I would have used a set up like pictured but those (3 ball) joints can not take but an occaisional high angle. I busted 2 in one day.The diff Must be Lincoln irs. Those jags, mercedes and all others have been looked into by me crawling under a 1oo cars and taking the cover off.A thunderbird/ cougar would last 6 rides.Linc. Continental 8.8 ,3 years so far.The teeth are like dinasaur teeth.I'f I had a camera I'd post some pics.Even a 4 cylinder would multiply too much torque for a large fine tooth OR small big tooth ring and pinion.When I'd blow up a Cougar(7.5) diff it would sound like a 12 gauge behind me.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:54 am 
WB Contributor

Pull up under Buggy Builds an old post of mine under"The Passat New Pics" That was back in 2oo9-2010 and I love this machine!That is a 7.5 diff pictured and I did not like the upside down leaf springs. i have since replaced them with fixed 42" arms with adjustable air baggs.It basiccally looks the same.You will see all of the "attack" people have given me but their voices are getting quieter.I wish I had an automatic trans in it.Go thru 3 gears up a hill climb like right now!This set up is about a foot shorter than the power glide set up.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:14 pm 

Post up some new pics of that thing

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:14 am 

ImmortalSoul219 wrote:
Post up some new pics of that thing

Please Please Please post some new pics, I was a big fan of the original post and now I'm in a good position to build a new toy, I would love to build something similar!!!

Board index » Tech and Fab » Suspension and Chassis