It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:49 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Suspension and Chassis

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 10:39 am 

Bout to order #3800 air bags from airbagit, and a 12" foa emulsion shock. Should I ask for the shock valving to be compression medium, rebound medium?

I'll be doing home made torsion eliminators. (And I have 3x3's).

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 12:14 am 

131 reviews and no opinions yet???? Subscribed...

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 9:44 am 

haha I know right.

I've been talking to Mark over at Blink Chicken Racing, and he's been trying to talk me out of airbags. He wants me to get air shocks. Here's what he said.

Quote:
I found when I was running my 2800lb air bags on my baja with a 2.3 turbo motor that they bounce a lot. It required more dampening than I thought it would. I also found that dealing with the bags, expansion tank, lines, and shocks that I was better off with Fox air shocks. They gave a much better ride and ended up costing what I spent on the airbag setup.

I added an expansion tank after the initial install because I didn't like how quickly the suspension wound up. It allowed for more travel in my case running 5x5's.

Airbags were a great solution but with how cheap you can get into a set of Fox air shocks (or similar) I don't think they are worth the trouble.

Mark

A few things I notice. He's using much smaller airbags than we will be, and has a heavier motor. Which means he probably had to really pump up the PSI in his bags. I don't know where he mounted them (up close to the torsion or out far on the arms). He's using 5x5's, not sure how that changes things.

Having said all that, if I do have to eff with expansion tanks and all that, I'd rather go another route.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 1:02 pm 
WB Contributor

I run the #3800 bags. Single rancho shock, nothing special. They are prolly 6yrs old, and worn out and i have no bounce at all. I just put a set of bags on a friends buggy who was looking into coilovers etc...First weekend out was this weekend. He thanked me for talkin him outta the other options and said he was amazed at how nice it rides. And theres not need for lines, tanks etc... 2 schrader valves, some thread sealer. and 2 airbags. Done.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:25 am 

OK just curious about the difference in opinion. Blind Chicken is a really cool informative site, and Mark has been helpful. Probably just different setups.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 12:20 pm 
BOTM Winner

The big difference here is that he is running 60-80 mph in the desert, not bouncing around in the woods. I'm sure he is 100% corect on what hes saying for what he is doing. Assuming your building a woods buggy, I would somwhat disreguard his opinion.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 1:34 pm 

Well by the time I started talking to Mark I had already made the order. So, I'm gonna see how it goes. I ended up asking for the rebound to be set at medium.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 1:51 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

I've seen both work very well.its all in how heavy your ride is and what types of riding and how you like it to feel.Chad :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 3:28 pm 

Actually I do most of my running around in the woods. I liked the ride with the airbags but when I went to the air shocks the difference was significant. After I added up the cost and PITA factor I figured that bolting on the air shocks was a whole lot more cost effective than the airbags.

Mark

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:42 am 

Crash wrote:
Actually I do most of my running around in the woods. I liked the ride with the airbags but when I went to the air shocks the difference was significant. After I added up the cost and PITA factor I figured that bolting on the air shocks was a whole lot more cost effective than the airbags.

Mark

What size and kind of air shocks?
2" or 2-1/2" x 10",12",14", Fox ,FOA?
What kind of valving?
Norm

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 12:13 pm 
BOTM Winner

I havent done air bags yet, but have done air shocks, and they are about the easiest thing, compared to torsions and coilovers. Sorry about the disreguard your opinion, I just figured you were much more about the racing than woods. I know most people out west I talk to about woods buggies have no idea what I'm talking about :mrgreen: I was thinkin originally about putting air bags on my race buggy instead of coilovers to save weight, but decided to wait on that!

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 10:11 pm 

Jayrod, Do you use a hinge setup on your bags?

Board index » Tech and Fab » Suspension and Chassis