It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:39 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Suspension and Chassis

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:22 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Last year I bent a wheel adapter and didn't realize it and rode for awhile and it ended up cauising my stub to come loose and "woller" out the bearing carrier... I threw some shims in around the OD of the bearing so I could go ride again, but it has gotten bad again. Has anyone ever welded this surface up and bored it out on a mill? I really don't want to buy a new arm, and I don't have a jig to use to change the carrier. Any thoughts or ideas?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:30 pm 

make a jig

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:37 pm 
BOTM Winner

The problem with welding is it will leave a very hard surface to cut in a mill. Then you need to use the other bearing surface to get center. Can it be done yes is it worth it, only if your doing it yourself then maybe. If you have to pay to have it done your better off buying a new arm.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:51 pm 
WB Contributor

Ive welded the inside of mine before. After i welded them i just used a dremill tool and buffed the weld down intil the bearing fit good and snug. It took me about an hour to do it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:00 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Yes, I plan on doing it myself... I have a bridgeport and all the necessary tooling, but I see what you mean about centering it up.. What Kevin said doesn't sound bad either as long as I was careful with it... Thanks for the input guys!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:45 pm 

Afterburnt gave me his old arms, one of the outer bearing bores were wasted. My plan in the next few weeks is to take a piece of CRS 5/8" x 5" x about 24", drill 4 flange mount holes, bore a slip fit hole to fit the OD of the bearing housing, drill two 5/8 mounting holes, Bolt the plate so the arm can overhang the backside of the table, zero the bored hole to the mills spindle, grind and mig weld the bearing bore, mount the arm to the underside of the plate and using a carbide boring bar finish the bearing bore.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:44 am 
WB Videographer

Speedy sleeve here, if you can figure out the correct size needed. http://www2.vsm.skf.com/en-US/HeavyDuty ... leeve.aspx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5wGMaUMXUQ

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:55 am 
BOTM Winner

Maddog wrote:
Speedy sleeve here, if you can figure out the correct size needed. http://www2.vsm.skf.com/en-US/HeavyDuty ... leeve.aspx

Now that looks like a viable option I would use. Thank for the link.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:15 am 
BOTM winner/Master fabricator

i use speedy-sleeves a lot on shafts where seals wears a grove .I dont think it will work for a bearing very long.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:01 pm 

afterburnt wrote:
i use speedy-sleeves a lot on shafts where seals wears a grove .I dont think it will work for a bearing very long.

They work great on shaft seals, but even if you're lucky enough to find the correct ID or OD the .011 wall thickness will make one or the other .022 smaller or larger. Plus you still will have a fubared surface that will not support the bearing very long. For a quick fix (maybe to get you through a weekend) http://www.loctite.sg/sea/content_data/ ... mpound.pdf

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:28 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

I spot welded the bottom and half way up the sides of the carrier then ground them down with a carbide burr tool. Crude, but quick and I didn't have to remove the arms from the buggy. Bearings fit nice now, and I added that loctite compound to help lock them in. Hopefully I can atleast get this year out of them...

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 6:52 pm 
BOTM Winner

JeffClay wrote:
I spot welded the bottom and half way up the sides of the carrier then ground them down with a carbide burr tool. Crude, but quick and I didn't have to remove the arms from the buggy. Bearings fit nice now, and I added that loctite compound to help lock them in. Hopefully I can atleast get this year out of them...

jeff how is your repair holding up so far. my friend louie has the same problem, were going to pull everything apart tomorrow and see how much slop we have to deal with.

**********"The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."
- Antonio Meloni

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 6:37 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Sorry Billy, I just saw this. I will have to check it tomorrow and let you know, but as far as i can tell, I have not had any issues as of yet.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:08 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Still holding up.... Crossing fingers it makes it through the year until I get new frame and arms...

Board index » Tech and Fab » Suspension and Chassis