It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:38 am

Board index » Tech and Fab » Suspension and Chassis

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:20 pm 

Getting ready to install fox air shocks on rear of my buggy. Had some questions. My car is heavy. Aprox 2500 with 2 people,tools,cooler,etc. Probably 60-65% of that on rear. I also put lots of street miles on the car and understand that the air shocks are prone to swaying. I,m leaving the torsions in but going to put them in loosely. I,ve seen that others on here have done the same.
How loosely should i have my torsion bars?
How do i change valving? Is this done with shims or something?
I understand you can change compression ratio by adding or subtracting oil. More compresion ratio would decrease sway? Does adding oil increases compression?
They are used and i think i should rebuild them before installing them so looking for a little insight.

Thanks for any help.
Tony

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:59 pm 
Global moderator

The only info I have is that I had some smaller air "bags" with the torsion set at zero stress and it worked fine for me. I only did away with the torsions when I went to torsion eliminators so I could adjust my toe.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:59 pm 
Master fabricator

I can tell you that the Fox 2.0 air shocks will only hold up 500lb. per corner and by your description of weight, your too heavy for them to work alone. I have no first hand knowledge of sway issues with them, can't answer you there. The use of the torsion bars could help with the additional support you will need it would be more of a trial and error thing. If it were me, I would use the Fox's up front and use big air bags on the back, but that's just me. I know the ride is unreal doing it that way. Good luck.

G
A

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:18 pm 

I have Fox Air Shox on the front of my buggy. I can't say I feel like they sway, but they certainly tend to fade a bit durring a ride as the oil heats (I assume). By fade, I mean get shoft which makes them sag a bit. I need to invest some time to see how to properly set them up which may make them perform better. Racebugg has swayaway air shocks and seems to be pleased with their performance (front also).

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:35 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Location: rittman,ohio ----------- wellsville, water cooled chapter
Going to have to have 2.5 on rear . The 2.0 will not hold it up cause you will max psi out on shock . Get 2.5 and loose some weight by taking torsions out and throw a set of mikes eliminators on it . Just my opinion ! :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:20 pm 

or do you mean airshocks like the old style you buy at the parts store? have seen guys run those instead of turning up th torsion bars before

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:36 pm 

mudnut wrote:
or do you mean airshocks like the old style you buy at the parts store? have seen guys run those instead of turning up th torsion bars before

I run this setup old school air shocks I left the bars set where it was with my air-cooled and run 60psi in my shocks. Works good I really like the ride. I run less psi on the street to lower it down some.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:49 pm 

Just slide the bars in with no preload, and set your ride height with the damper pressure, should get you close.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:03 pm 

PhillipM wrote:
Just slide the bars in with no preload, and set your ride height with the damper pressure, should get you close.

This is what i want to do. The stock torsion bars just are'nt cutting it anymore and want some ability to tune my ride height and quality. I know the 2.0 fox shocks can't support the car alone.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:23 pm 
Global moderator

tw9294 wrote:
PhillipM wrote:

This is what i want to do. The stock torsion bars just are'nt cutting it anymore and want some ability to tune my ride height and quality. I know the 2.0 fox shocks can't support the car alone.

this is what I intended to say,,,,it will give you a progressive spring rate,,,more when you need it ,,,,less when you don't,,,,

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:35 pm 

Okay, valving is done by shim stacks, preload/ride height is done by the pressure in the dampers (although it changes spring rate a bit too), and the actual spring rate is altered by changing the oil level in the damper - more oil = high spring rate.

But, more spring rate also = more heat = more damper fade, so be careful.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:47 pm 

This is what i want to do. The stock torsion bars just are'nt cutting it anymore and want some ability to tune my ride height and quality. I know the 2.0 fox shocks can't support the car alone.[/quote] i have 2.0 fox on the back of my 4seater with stock tortion straight out of a car shocks set @ 450 psi not sure of my weight but my buggy ride is tottaly awesome when i have 4 people so i think you would be on the right track :D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:26 pm 

thanks guys.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:45 pm 

i doing basically the same thing with bags on mine. bars have light preload tobe able to hold buggy up some should i blow a bag or something. i running bags off the tag axle from one of my dump trucks. 9 psi and it rides like a cadillac!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:19 pm 
Master fabricator

Take the bars out, they are actually hurting the ride. You will never bust a new bag.

G
A

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:55 pm 

I am running 2.0 sway a way air shocks. on front and back with no torision bars. I revavled them with the shims that are made for the sway a ways. I know on the sway a ways there are screws that you can add to valve body to help stiffen or soften up the ride. my buggy weights 1800lbs with a honda V6 motor in the back and i have never had any problem with loosing height out of my while riding on trails. if you let it sit for a while it starts to settle down but if you lift the car up it will sit fine again. I have only add nitrogen once to mine over a two period. Air shocks are weird to under stand because when you push down on the buggy they won't move. but once you start driving the move great and give a great ride.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:08 pm 

mudnut wrote:
i doing basically the same thing with bags on mine. bars have light preload tobe able to hold buggy up some should i blow a bag or something. i running bags off the tag axle from one of my dump trucks. 9 psi and it rides like a cadillac!

If you have bags I'd dump the bars - not so much a problem with the bars themselves, but the friction in the spring plate bushing setup is usually pretty horrendous and isn't great for suspension performance.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:12 pm 

seen several k5's runnin air shocks at the corners... 1000-1200 lbs at each corner no problem.... here is a good article on 2.0 airshox.... http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavist ... index.html ... he also has a set of great articles on coil overs http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavist ... rs/Part_1/ and hydraulic steering http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavist ... dex.html...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:58 pm 

was not trying to steal the thread! thanks for input. i will try taking bags out. pretty sure i dont have to worry bout blowing a bag like you guys said. guess will have to see bout a set of those fancy torsion eliminators!

Board index » Tech and Fab » Suspension and Chassis