It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:07 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Suspension and Chassis

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:30 pm 

I built this golf cart out a while back, it ran well, was fun for taking the wife and baby around the yard. I used a lawn tractor engine and rear end. Had to gear it way up to do more than...........lawn mower speed. After a few months, the rear end/transmission exploded. It is a verticle shaft engine, so I don't really have any options to use that engine. So, I thought about it for a while and I want to do a VW engine and trans. A little obscene and crazy, but that's my style. I would much prefer to use a rear engine setup since all I would really have to do is weld on a torsion tube with all the mounts and everything right there, shifter linkage would be simpler, etc etc. My concern is: will it be impossible to keep the front wheels down? If I can't drive through the woods ad go for a nice, slow, relaxing ride, it's really no fun anymore. Will a mid engine be that much more stable? Here's a quick picture of it with the tractor driveline. Obviously it will be MUCH bigger in the back half. Basically I will have to cut it in half and start over in the back, but that's fine with me.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:28 pm 
Master fabricator

The machine shop I worked at had and old electric golf cart. Someone put a Ford 9" under it hooked to the electric motor. That thing would haul 3500 pounds without thinking about it and out accelerate some cars. We used it to pick up and deliver to customers in the industrial park.
Why not do a straight axle like a quad?

G
A

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:49 pm 

yamaha 2 cycle golf carts are belt drive..perfect for snowmobile engine..i bought one about ten yrs ago like this..it had 1970s rupp 440cc engine on it..ran bout 50 mph..i couldnt imagine what a newer liquid cooled engine would be like..lol..with 2 guys standing and pulling back on seat we could ride wheelies..lol..no joke

Board index » Tech and Fab » Suspension and Chassis