It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:55 am

Board index » Tech and Fab » Suspension and Chassis

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: BUS TORSION ????
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:13 am 

Does anyone run a bus torsion , pros and cons ?????? Also bus front beam????? THANKS!!

Post subject: Re: BUS TORSION ????
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:28 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

I think BMoore has a bus torsion.. It is really strong but super heavy.. I believe it also sets your trailing arms out further..

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:12 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

I'm assuming you are talking about IRS bus housing.they are fine to run,quite a few guys run them.pro's would be stronger and supports a heavy buggy rather well in stock form.it is a little wider Than the car housing.bigger bearings and stub axle.few cons,have to make rear trans mount,that's not to bad to make.already has a two piece rear hub so fabbing up rear disc is a little easier.or can buy rotors but use to be a little pricy,don't know price now though.some cut the rear shock hanger off to keep from hanging down and move the shock to the top of arm,but you can also switch the bearing housing sides and flip them that puts the stock shock mount on top also but sticks up a little.I like the bus housing myself for a heavy buggy.had one in a 4 seater and was fine,and I'm rather abusive to my toys and it held up and worked great with the extra weight.when I sold that frame I cut it out and put a car housing back in it so I could keep it,lol.as far as front end I've never ran them but seen them,I believe firebug( maybe) was talking about running bus front end at one time not sure.somebody should no,well that's a few things hope it helps.Chad :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:03 pm 
WB Contributor

Take your Dewalt high speed grinder and grind the torsion bars about a 1/16" or more all around it and don't leave any edges on the ends.Take some 3/8" plate and stack 3 of them and extend your arms back 2 ". Those tubular t/arms bend easy so they must be beefed up. Personnally I'd use type 1 irs with type 3 (sq back fast back) torsion.You don't have to crank them so hard and they ride perfect with 3x3's.Type1 are 22.0mm and type 3 are 23.5mm.

Last edited by passat2800 on Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:54 pm 

thanks for info.......

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:39 am 
WB Videographer

I have a buggy with a bus torsion and a bus ball joint frontend. It is also Stick-O-Matic, which means that you only use the clutch to shift and it takes off like a regular automatic transmission car would.

The whole buggy is heavy, probably 2000 lbs or more, so competition hill climber it ain't. But what a great trail buggy! Rides like a dream, big and tough. With a 5.50 ring and pinion, I can just put it in second gear, forget about the clutch and work the gas pedal. I have it all enclosed with doors and a heater so it is awesome in the Winter.

I have rode with a lot of guys that run the bus torsion and one weak spot on this unit is the cast iron "pumpkin" containing the stub axles, brakes, and bearings that attaches to another cast iron part of the stock trailing arm with four large bolts. This cast stuff is very brittle and will break pretty easily. It is wise to beef this part up with some 1/2" plate steel which, of course, adds even more weight. When I bought this buggy, the right side was already broken and the pumpkin simply fell off in the floor as soon as I took out two of the four bolts. To get rid of this problem, I fabricated a set of conversion trailing arms that use all type 1 bearings and stub axles. It was a lot of work, but no more breakage.

Dale

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:21 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

LUVSDIRT wrote:
I have a buggy with a bus torsion and a bus ball joint frontend. It is also Stick-O-Matic, which means that you only use the clutch to shift and it takes off like a regular automatic transmission car would.

The whole buggy is heavy, probably 2000 lbs or more, so competition hill climber it ain't. But what a great trail buggy! Rides like a dream, big and tough. With a 5.50 ring and pinion, I can just put it in second gear, forget about the clutch and work the gas pedal. I have it all enclosed with doors and a heater so it is awesome in the Winter.

I have rode with a lot of guys that run the bus torsion and one weak spot on this unit is the cast iron "pumpkin" containing the stub axles, brakes, and bearings that attaches to another cast iron part of the stock trailing arm with four large bolts. This cast stuff is very brittle and will break pretty easily. It is wise to beef this part up with some 1/2" plate steel which, of course, adds even more weight. When I bought this buggy, the right side was already broken and the pumpkin simply fell off in the floor as soon as I took out two of the four bolts. To get rid of this problem, I fabricated a set of conversion trailing arms that use all type 1 bearings and stub axles. It was a lot of work, but no more breakage.

Dale

Hey could you post some pics or is there a thread on these,would like to see them.Chad :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:37 am 
WB Videographer

Sure, here are some.

This is actually my wife's buggy, I'm just her ace mechannic (among other things!). I have access to some pretty cool fabrication tools to get things done around here (CNC plasma cutter, 5'x10' CNC router, complete machine shop, and sheet metal shop).

I was able to use the stock bus axles and CVs. Axles come straight out to the stub axle with no back angle like you see on a 2x3 or 3x3 setup with a T1 torsion.

Bus torsion housing sticks out a little. If I was building from scratch here, I would bring the frame all the way out to the edge of the torsion to gain some interior room. That crappy welding isn't mine, we bought this buggy and "made it ours".

Calipers are from a '90 Dodge Omni.

Bus ball joint frontend needs a lot of work to get it ready to go in a buggy. Rabbit calipers up front.

Warm and dry! Did the engraved dash on the router.

Engine is a 1915 built by Bubba Roberts down in Chattanooga.

I will be at Windrock with this buggy on Friday and Saturday this weekend, then heading over to Sevierville to ride on a buddy's land on Sunday before heading back home to Charlotte. Couple other guys coming, feel free to join us!

Dale

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:27 pm 

good info.... how much wider is a bus torsion and front beam vs. a car ?????? And the weight differance?????

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:35 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Nice ride.I was thinking that you used the same bus arm and had fabricated outer housing with type 1 bearings that bolted to the bus arm.but I like this better,going to have to make me some for the 4 seater.thanks for posting.Chad :mrgreen:

Board index » Tech and Fab » Suspension and Chassis