It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:11 am

Board index » Tech and Fab » Suspension and Chassis

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:17 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Roger, If I lived farther south I would probibly just build a smaller 2 seat chain drive and be done. But I fear it would never fit at haspin where I ride the most.

Oh and back on topic, Jason, they also make a non-power steering s-10 box. That is what I put in my buggy first. It acts just like a stock VW but with strength and dependibility, lol, albeit hevy as hell. it is 4.5 turns lock to lock as apposed to the powwered chevy/jeep boxes at 2.5 turns lock to lock. Also recomend beefing up the arms on the spindles if you keep stock ones. As I have found with most stock beatle parts, they are light, but weak. A little bit of gussiting and re-inforcing though can make a world of difference.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:35 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

just get you a buddy to get out and kick your tires in the right direction suply free beer all day and they will never where out :D :D :D :lol: :lol:

I DO NOT FREE BASE COCAINE

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:31 am 
WB Contributor

lift the front end? Get some thing spindles or make up some lift spindles,. As far as the steering goes..I put the grand am rack on mine, and i absolutly love it, Inexpensive , Easy to mount, easy to steer. and with it being the end load rack the tie rods are only about 8-10inches long, I made them myself by simply sliding tubing together and welding, which in the end makes them Solid, Ran mine all this year, No problems-Total cost $50.00 . A few of my buddies have put s10 boxes etc on theirs and they hate them

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:40 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Jayrod, just curious what problems they had with the s-10 boxes? I've known several guys as well as my self that all are very happy with them.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:21 pm 

What year s10 or grand am to get the rack and pinion from

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:06 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

MadMike wrote:
RDB#3 wrote:
How many KY buggys have you seen with rack and pinion.....

More important question;
How long will one of them KY "super" buggys last up here at Wellsville without one?
Answer; About half as long as it took you to trailer it here.

:shock: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:12 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

ahhh, my younger days, what a HORRIBLE night, i still owe DVS1 a handy for saving my ass that night... And steering. GEO tracker box and PS pump. Talk to wheelieup, he can show you his set-up. Probably the direction I am heading next.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:02 am 
WB Contributor

Nitro, The ones Im refering too DONT have power steering hooked up, Guess it was hard to steer and liked to rip the wheel outta their hands. Maybe they just didnt do it right lol Idk, I believe my rack is outta a 99 Grand Am. Had to make my own tie rods, But if you decide to do it that way I have a drawing to give an Idea of how I made them, very simple But strong, and ends up basically a 10inch Solid piece.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:31 pm 

I too use a 99 end load grand am rack.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:24 am 

My first time out with a nice rack and pinion setup (non power at the time) was awful. People don't appreciate what two extra turns each way does for reduction till they lose it. Unless you are gonna make your steering wheel 2 times bigger when you do the swap I would go "POWER" rack and pinion (home built or the nice stuff) or stick with a steering box. A non power rack and pinion just means your wrists are the new "weak link." I am no good at fixing wrists in the trails so I went power. If you run a jackhammer all day at work then you will love a non power rack in the trails (especially the rocky ones). I only wish I would have been a member here longer when I went to power steering on my buggy. I would have used junkyard stuff like alot of these guys and saved some $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. I guess there is always the next buggy... :wink: Thank You for your wisdom Woodsbuggy.com!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:26 pm 

lngtrvl2332 wrote:
My first time out with a nice rack and pinion setup (non power at the time) was awful. People don't appreciate what two extra turns each way does for reduction till they lose it. Unless you are gonna make your steering wheel 2 times bigger when you do the swap I would go "POWER" rack and pinion (home built or the nice stuff) or stick with a steering box. A non power rack and pinion just means your wrists are the new "weak link." I am no good at fixing wrists in the trails so I went power. If you run a jackhammer all day at work then you will love a non power rack in the trails (especially the rocky ones).

True that!!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:12 pm 

http://www.woodsbuggy.com/index.php?opt ... f=4&t=4685

Board index » Tech and Fab » Suspension and Chassis