It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:50 am

Board index » Tech and Fab » Suspension and Chassis

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Coil Over shocks.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:45 am 
Hill Climber

This year I am going to use coilovers and get rid of the torsion springs. Have any of you done this ? If you have what springs do you use. Right now I have Bilstein 7100 shocks in the rear with 300 and 325 springs. In the front 5100 shocks with 200 and 275 springs. I'm thinking I'll need heavier in the rear and lighter in the front.
I'm starting to miss the days when I was happy about having a set of KYB Gasajust shocks all around.
Dean

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:04 pm 
BOTM Winner

Way to much thinking going on for me. Don't have a clue. I will stick with torsion bars, thank you.

:wink: Roy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:03 pm 
Hill Climber

A guy that can setup clutches in a funnycar could figure this out.
Dean

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:27 pm 
BOTM Winner

[quote='D. Marks']A guy that can setup clutches in a funnycar could figure this out.
Dean[/quote]

Do you know how many adjustments are on that thing? It's mind blowing. It's just amazing how much you can do to work the clutches on that car. We actually have a computer program which helps us get it close for the different conditions. Trying to get 3500HP to hook up to the track is not an easy task.

Back to the question. A great source of technical information on this subject

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:38 pm 
Hill Climber

I can't even imagine one of those trannys. Hats off to you Roy. I talked to a guy from Eibach and he was very helpful. The one thing he pointed out was that I would need a totaly differant setup for hillclimbing because most of the weight transfers to the rear wheels on a hill.
Right now I have it set so the axles are at 17 degrees. Now I need to get it out and see what I need to do next.
Dean

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:10 am 

I cant wait to hear what you think of the coilovers. I had considered running them on the baja but wasnt sure if the difference would be felt enough in the woods to warrant the cost.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:11 am 
Hill Climber

I hope it works. The first time out with this buggy the torsion was way to loose. The frame was almost dragging the ground. Before we left the Cold Spot that day Dave told me to climb one hill. I didn't want to but tried anyway. The buggy went up the hill like it was shot out of a cannon. Thats when we realized that loose or soft suspension works on a hill. Last year I used the torsion with the coilovers. That didn't work. This year we are getting rid of the torsion front and rear, and using coilovers. Lets face it, even If they don't work they look cool as hell.
Dean

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:08 pm 
BOTM Winner

You will get them to work. I know you are determined enough. Set it up soft and it will work well.

R

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:23 pm 

What kind of cost would it be to run the air bags? And how involved are the mods to the frame to make it all work?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:00 pm 

This may sound dumb, but if I dont plan on raising and lowering it all the time can I just mount the bags with a fitting to fill them to the pressure I need. And keep a guage handy to make sure they are the right pressure.

I may be wrong, but I figure I would probably just run one pressure for street and another for offroad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:09 pm 
Master fabricator

I have air bags on the rear of mine, the ride is real nice. The set up is not to bad and I have pictures of the external pivot that works. The only up front advice I'll give is this; Run the largest bags you can fit in, the larger the bag the less air pressure you need to maintain your ride height. The lower the air the softer the suspension. MadMike

G
A

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:52 pm 

Do you basically use the same pivot attachment that the guys use for the coilovers? And by larger do you mean taller or wider (or both)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:45 pm 
Master fabricator

When I say larger I mean in capacity in pounds. So yes, taller and larger If you install a set of 2500# bags it might take 100 psi to keep you at ride height. If you install a set of 3500# bags it might only take 60 psi to do the same thing. The max infation on most bags is 125 psi. At 100 psi, the 2500# bag is almost at capacity, stiff suspension. At 60 psi the 3500# bag is relaxed, soft suspension. If it's to soft the volume of air can be reduced by adding antifreeze. It's all about the volume of air. I'm not sure what the coil over crowd is using for an outer pivot. I have my own double shear design using a 3/4" heim, super strong. MadMike

G
A

Board index » Tech and Fab » Suspension and Chassis