It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:08 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Suspension and Chassis

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: rack & pinion mount
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:18 am 

I need help to determine the correct location and angle to weld on the mounting bracket on the front beam for the rack and pinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:49 am 
Hill Climber

I would not do it till you your frame is on wheels. I'm sure it could be done. The tie rods need to be angled from the rack down to the spindels. I would wait then you could move it around and see what works best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:18 am 
Global moderator

I agree with Dean. When I put mine on I tried to mount it so the tierods from the rack to steering knuckle followed a plain equal to the trailing arms. In other words if you take the tire off and get down and eyeball across the front end the tierod and trailing arm closest to the steering knuckle will look parallel. This help to minimize the bumpsteer. Also mount the rack so the tierod ends are as near to the beam as possible. I hope this helps, Come to Wilborns for Labor day hill climb if you can. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:21 pm 

Here is how I was told to do mine, and it worked out with very minimal bumpsteer.
Put your front suspension together but leave the torsion leafs out of the beam. Find and mark the center of the beam. Now measure the distance between the mounts for the R&P bracket. Divide that number by 2 and make new marks that distance on either side of your center mark. Start off by tacking the mount to the beam at about a 10 degree angle. Now mount the rack to the mount along with the tie rods. Put the wheels and tires on. Using a jack get the buggy at ride height. Now set the tow-in the way you want it and measure the distance between the wheels at the very front of the tires. Then lower the jack until the car is approx. where it will be with the suspension fully compressed. Measure the distance between the tires again.
If the distance between the tires gets smaller with the suspension compressed then the bracket needs to be angled more towards the front of the car. Cut the tacks off the bracket and angle it a little more and retack it. Then check everything again. Repeat the process until you have the same number at ride height that you have at full compression. I think I ended up with my mount at 14 degrees.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:34 pm 

Thanks for the info.I just thought I could get this welded up and painted while I'm waiting on my frame ,it is finally done and I'm going friday to pick it up.Can't wait to get started on it,then I will really have alot of questions.Thanks again for the help.

Board index » Tech and Fab » Suspension and Chassis