It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:56 pm

Board index » Blogs » Perrib's Place

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: It'll happen every time.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:40 am 

It was a mad rush to get the engine back in the rail before our family vacation. I managed to get two miles on it before hooking it to the truck. Not being broken in I only ran it about 250 miles insteaded of about 50-100 miles a day like last year. The next to the last day about 60 miles from home a knocking started from the rear. A rear shock had broken. i think the worn hiem joint acted like a hammer and broke the end.

It managed to nick the passenger outer cv boot before I could stop and remove the shock. It drove better than I expected only on wash board roads in turns was it really noticable. I once tried driving it in my yard without front shocks and it was impossible to drive. Back in Chandler I found a Bilstien shock end at Race Shock in Phoenix. Tuesday I drove out and got it. While I was there Lee at Race Shock set me up with a set of used Fox Shocks that he rebuilt and revalved for the rail to use along with the Bilstiens and would have them ready today. I put the shock end on the Bilstien and then the rail would not start. The ancient Pertronix unit quit. The rail had misfired under full throttle back in lakeside but cleared out in a few seconds and the misfire never returned. i quess it was a sign of things to come. I installed a spare one and it fired right up. I was lucky it did not fail fourty miles from home yesterday while at Race Shock.

Board index » Blogs » Perrib's Place