It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:44 pm

Board index » Blogs » Perrib's Place

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: For the want of air.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:33 am 

You might of been wondering why I have not posted any new videos lately. Besides the off road recoveries and waiting six weeks for my air compressor motor to be rebuilt preventing me from recamming my engine and building a mild stroker for a friend. The electric motor was done yesterday I dropped off my case to get vatted. I decided to get going an build the preclearanced, pre opened Autolina engine case I wanted to try for the 86x94 engine. I ran into some of the shortcomings others have. The main bearing oiling holes do not line up with the bearings correctly.

A couple of minutes with a grinder cured that.

[IMG]http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc281/perrib/2386/Billsengine022.jpg[/IMG

Next step was to correct the mismatched oil pump holes. It was a shame to cut up a GB oil pump.

I had cut another groove for a second o ring on the GB pump and also plugged the case but the pump fit very tight in the case and should not of needed either.
Another bigger problem is the edge of the casting next to the oil pump narrowed as it approached the oil pump.This leaves very little for the o ring of the Gene Berg oil pump to grip. It narrows alot where I marked it.
The cam bolts clear the pump with room to spare. Bill wanted the quiet timing gear after hearing my CE straight cuts.
There was plenty of engagement for the pump drive.
The cam bearing thrust was tight at less than .001. It now has .0025" of clearance.
The cam has less than .001 run out.
Even though Autolina had hand clearanced the case the distributor drive still hit.
Even the Gene Berg oil sump needed a tiny bit of clearancing to clear the case.
The engine case had a tang that needed 3/16" taken off of it.
Trial fit of the oil sump. Note the Demello 86 mm crank and Demello 5.5 "H beam rods.

Bugpack gland nut and washer

I have already mic'ed the crank, rods, piston pins and case. The rod bearing needed opening up a little but all the others were spot on. Even only two pistons needed a tiny amount of aluminium to be removed to even them up.
Even most of the rings were ok
The China Pac no the Bug Pack made in China pressure relief valve diameters were a good .010" too narrow.
Even the rings were pretty close.
A potential gripe is the lifter bores were not held to .001" clearance. Two were .002 in spec but for a Hi Performance case .001 would of been better. For the Engle 120 cam it should be fine.
While not looking any different than other lifters these are the German Udo Becker tool steel lifters that can be reused on different cams and need no breaking in.
I have the tool for the relief valve screws these new Bug Pack ones with a hex head were to cool to pass up.
Tommorrow I get to start on my engine and set the deck height on this one.

Post subject: Re: For the want of air.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:25 am 
Site Admin

You will probably have to clearance the opening of the relief valve hex screws to get them tightened down. My Autolinea/CB case was too tight to get a socket in it to tighten them.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:21 pm 

Thanks for the heads up. I saw the interference problem. China Pac strikes again they do not even have the correct thread pitch to fit that case or any other case I have so it is back to stock ones. Even worse the DeMello 86 mm crank did not come with dowels (kinda cheesy for $700 crank). I installed some good used German ones. Much to my surprise the pin holes were reamed to large and there is a good 1-10 thousands clearance. Of course I could not get hold of Bob at DeMello Cranks.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:43 am 

I got to talk to Bob and he sent another crankshaft out today.

Board index » Blogs » Perrib's Place